“Cozy, comfortable”
Review of The Highland Inn

Ranked #96 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were in town for just one night and didn't want to spend too much money. The inn turned out to be much better than I expected for the value. The building is quite old, but the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and most importantly the inn was located on a nice, quiet street not too far away from the downtown area.
Breakfast was generous and the breakfast area is quite small but very charming.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I stayed last week at the Highland Inn for 6 nights while moving and visiting our daughter. I had read the reviews online, and thought this would be a fun place to stay. I confess: the black cat in the photos sold it for me. We checked in rather late (ten-ish) and immediately headed for bed. (Moving day for daughter). There was some noise from a function outside in the courtyard area, and I thought "Uh oh", but someone sang goodbye, and things settled down by 11 or shortly after. My husband was asleep in a minute or two, so this certainly didn't bother him in this least. That was the only night we heard any noise at all, the rest of the stay was completely quiet. The room was small, maybe 12 x 12, older (the hotel was built in 1927), but nice and clean! The bathroom reminded me of our second apartment, and I was thrilled to not need a master's degree in plumbing to work the shower. It felt like home, but better with a friendly staff to refreshen linens and such. The breakfast was more than adequate, and there is a really good diner right around the corner. The 640 Cafe next door to the inn served the best chicken and biscuits I may ever eaten at brunch. There was plenty to do in the neighborhood, movie theater, antique stores, clothing stores....I was in heaven! Our trip last year was spent at a Red Roof Inn that was smelly and dirty and in a scary part of town and I was miserable. The Highland Inn made all the difference this year. Yes, we were moving our daughter again, but I was not pushing the purchase of a sofa bed after discovering this gem! Thank you so much for a great stay, and I am looking forward to next year! The cat was charming, by the way!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Diane G
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I recently visited Atlanta for a concert and needed somewhere to stay. My daughter and I ran across this hotel and they had a great price. After the very friendly service we went to our room and were extremely happy to see such a quaint room. The bed was very comfortable. Best nights sleep ever! It was a peaceful and quiet stay. I have already booked my next stay!!!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Lakestream
Reviewed 9 August 2014

After driving all morning and being extremly sleepy coming into Atlanta, a friend booked this Inn for me and my child to get some sleep. It was not a very comfortable experience. When we came into the room, it looked as if it was "touched up" not cleaned up. The glass on a round table was half off and the tub...let me just say we did NOT want to step one foot in; and the celing in the tub appears to look like its falling down. The day we stayed it rained so hard that the power went out. And no joke, I just happened to be in the bathroom at that very moment and I got STUCK in the dark, in the bathroom, because the doorknob was not working from the inside! Thank God I had somebody there with me to let me out. Then just to check out the closet, I turned the doorknob and it fell off! When I went to pick up the handle behind the door, the inside of the closet looked unfinished. White old cement floor and pipes and wires going across the celing inside the closet. I'm not very picky and I tend to make the best out of any situation, but this did not work for me. Since this room was booked by a friend and I was beyond sleepy (not safe to drive sleepy) I did not have the patience to stay elsewhere, but I know I will NOT be back. If I have to start thinking about going down the road to Target to get a bottle of Comet and Lysol Bleach Spray to CLEAN and disinfect a bathroom that should be part of what was paid for, so my child can at least shower, then NO, I will stay somewhere else when I come back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Destinations_76
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value your opinion and we use feedback to make improvements. I am certainly disappointed by the lack of cleanliness you experienced in your guest room. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and your experience falls way below our standards. I will address your concerns with our maintenance and housekeeping staff in hopes that this will not be an issue for future guests. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you were caused during your stay.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Words like charming, historic, ballroom, beautiful pictures of the hotel (by the way I hope the photographer won an award for this one), and a few reviews that I now think were family, friends, or employees is what suckered me into booking this hotel.

How could a place with a ballroom not be a good place just to sleep on your way to Florida???

Where to begin?
1) Staff only encountered two one at checkin a male, I'm not sure he wanted me there. The other a different male at check out, not sure if he cared whether I came or went.

2) The black cat that followed us around inside the hotel felt creepy.

3) Old, this place reminded me of the hotel in the shinning meets the Bates motel everything seemed old, broken down, and smelly (we skipped the free breakfast).

4) The room did have a different layout, which I thought was nice and it seemed to be as clean as it could be.

5) Common areas reminded me more of a hostel and if it had been advertised as such then it would have gotten a five. There were cigarette butts EVERYWHERE so if there was a no smoking policy it was ignored by the guest and the staff did not enforce it.

To sum it up, I wouldn't in good conscience tell anyone to stay here. I spent the little time we were there apologizing to my family for this epic fail of a pick... I used hotels.com and have so in the past with great success and satisfaction.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am truly sorry to hear that you felt deceived and that our online presence does not reflect our property. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission and I am sorry that was not your experience with our staff. I will address this as well as the smoking issue with our employees to avoid these situations in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great quaint, quiet and inexpensive hotel within walking distance of several key sites in Atlanta and a short bus hop to the center of the city. Rooms are small but adequate for those who are site seeing or in the city for a short stay. Breakfast is also in a small room, but is like home. You have to get your milk and juice out of the fridge and figure out the best setting on the toaster. Great restaurant next door and lots of coffee and sandwich shops in the blocks around it.

Room Tip: Even rooms on first floor overlooking parking lot to restaurant were quiet. Parking spaces are limit...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked this hotel through Travago because it was the cheapest option that had a decent review score. Me and a buddy were in town for a rock festival, so we didn't need much....So we thought.... First of all, our room looked nothing like the ones in the pictures. The sign in the "lobby" said they were renovating, so I guess we got a room that hasn't been touched since the 50's. Massive gaps between the doors and doorways. The shower was all busted up and looked like it had been that way for a while. This place is advertised as an older/historic Inn. There's a difference between old and dilapidated. But with all that said, I wasn't that upset, because like I said, we were only there for a festival and would only need the room to sleep before leaving for home the next morning....That was until that night. As we were sitting in our room, my eyes were drawn to movement in the corner of the room. It was then that've realized that we weren't alone....Crawling through one of the many cracks in the walls was what I can only describe as a cockroach from hell. At the time, it seemed like it was the size of a small kitten, but I guess that is exaggerating. I truthfully was the size of my three fingers if put together for a Boy Scout salute...After smacking said monster with my shoe, it started to jump at me. After 3 minutes of fighting, the monster was finally slain....I then proceeded to sleep on top of the covers, because I wasn't going to chance sleeping under the covers with god knows what.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Keala N

Thank you for your review. We truly value the feedback of our guests and we apologize that you had a negative experience. I have spoken to our exterminator and maintenance about your comments regarding pests and damage in the room to ensure that this type of situation is avoided in the future. Should you decide to stay with us in the future, please do not hesitate asking for me directly so that I can make sure we go above and beyond your expectations!

The Highland Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Quality Inn & Suites
Downtown
Hilton Atlanta
Hilton Atlanta
#80 of 174 in Atlanta

Been to The Highland Inn? Share your experiences!