“Great room but poor customer service”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I just spent 2 nights there and at first everything was great. I had requested a quiet room and was given a corner room that was great except for the shower which desperately needs to be cleaned and redone. I had a question about WiFi and the first person I spoke to treated me like I was an idiot. Another staff member over heard it and was nice enough to help me find the one small area in the lobby where you can use the hotspot. I used the workout room which was small but a good place. The next day I went back up to my room after my conference and as soon as the elevator stopped on my floor you could hear the music pounding from the room next door. On my way out to dinner I reported the noise. When I got my car from the valet it took way too long for them to bring it to me. 5 other cars for people who came down after me were brought out first. The staff kept telling me I was next but it was frustrating to pay so much and not get my car right away. When I returned to the hotel and to my floor there was a strong cigarette smell and now the other room by mine was full of obnoxious laughing women. I called the desk about the smoke and they came up and immediately went to the loud room. They told one woman that if they didn't quiet down the manager was going to have to deal with them. The lady just laughed and slammed the door. This was 9:30pm and they did not quiet down until 5:30am. I wanted to either switch rooms or leave and was told they had no more rooms and that if I left I was still paying for the room. I normally love staying at Hyatts. I am going to Hawaii this summer nd had planned on staying at a Hyatt but the lack of customer service at this one has made me start to rethink my lodging plans.

2  Thank Nikki B
HyattAtlanta, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience you have been caused while staying with us and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding this matter. Please check your inbox for contact information.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,266)

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Recently stayed here during a business conference. Hotel has undergone a major remodeling. Contemporary design which fits with the open atrium this hotel is known for. The guest rooms are very comfortable with a good work area. The main tower has balconies which is a great amenity when you're stuck indoors in meetings all day. The bath room is small and doesn't have a tub which didn't bother me but might be an issue for some. Lobby bar was a good place to grab a bite to eat and catch up with associates. Only negative during our visit was elevator refurbishment - two of the five elevators where down which made for some long delays - 3-5 minutes - at peak times. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main tower.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
HyattAtlanta, Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for your review. We have just completed a major renovation of our hotel and are in the process of adding additional features to our elevators which was why there may have been one out of order during your stay. We appreciate your patience during this time and hope to have you back with us soon!

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Ideal for anyone is staying in the downtown area. There is a restaurant in walking distance that stays open 24 hours. There are two sides to this hotel. The older side has a balcony, which is perfect for smokers. The newly renovated side is perfect for romantic getaways. When you book I would call and ask for the side that is most suitable to your liking. Either side you choose, the hotel is still very nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Candeeluve

Thank you for your review. We hope to have you back with us again soon!

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I like to stay in Hyatts when I can, and this one did not disappoint. Wonderful location right across the street from the MARTA (only costs $3 to get there from the airport) and very convenient to the convention center, aquarium, and other downtown attractions. Very spacious, bright lobby area. Currently doing some renovations to their elevators but I had no problems. My room was in the International Tower. Very nice, modern decor. Room was spacious with nice-sized bathroom, flat screen TV and large desk area. Also had a little balcony. Had the breakfast buffet, which was very good, and took advantage of the Marketplace in the lobby which served drinks, snacks, fresh baked goods and sandwiches, which is important to me. I like to have access to these things when running off to my meeting or before I turn in. Staff was extraordinarily nice. True Southern hospitality. Everyone from the bell staff, concierge, front desk staff and servers in the restaurant went out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. A very nice stay, and I highly recommend. And, I can be a picky traveller!

2  Thank TravelerMom0

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We like it when our guests can take full advantage of all of amenities and convenient downtown location. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I came to this hotel to hold meetings in a suite and the staff was very helpful and accommodating. Their catering prices are absolutely absurd, but that's often the case with hotels. The hotel is confusing with its three towers. I was unaware of how many towers there were when I booked the rooms. One of the suites I booked looked completely different than it did in the brochure they sent me. It seems like they're renovating the hotel. I stayed in a bedroom in a suite one night and the bed was comfy and it was clean. I liked the room significantly more than the rooms next door at the Marriott Marquis because it was a lot more modern. The bathroom was tiny, which I did not expect for a suite. They are having elevator issues and I often had to wait 5+ minutes for the elevator. Hopefully they get that fixed soon!!

Room Tip: The main tower is the Atrium Tower so if you want to be in the center of things stay there.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We have just completed a $65 Million renovation of our hotel which has transformed the entire look of our hotel. We are in the process of adding additional features to our elevators which was why there may have been one out of order during your stay. We appreciate your patience during this time and hope to have you back with us soon!

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I've stated here a few times. The staff is always helpful and nice. Rooms are clean and updated.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for coming back to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Hyatt's are always nice, but unfortunately this one has slipped a little over the past 3 years. The whole bar and restaurant have been revamped, and the quality of the food has deteriorated. I used to think that their restaurant had one of the 10 best burgers in the country, but they now they have an inferior patty with the same taste as all the other hockey pucks you seem to get. On a positive note, they still have the most friendly lady in the world (and I can't remember her name) who serves you for lunch with warm Southern hospitality in their restaurant. I believe she said she had been working there for more than the past 20 years! The room was beautifully decorated, current, and clean. Unfortunately house keeping was a little off with their failure to replace paper cups (after throwing out all of the existing open ones) and they also left a bottle of cleaner in my room. I really miss glass glasses in a top end hotel and wish they provided liquid creamer with their in-room coffee maker (they only had the powder). For those who want to save some money on transportation, the hotel can't be much more conveniently located to a MARTA stop (Peachtree Center Station) which is a direct line from the Atlanta airport. Fare is $2.50 each way with a Breeze card costing an additional dollar! There is also presently construction going on that wasn't communicated during my reservation process. Two of five elevators were out of service which made for crowded trips and long waits to get to and from your room.

Room Tip: Balconies are only available in the older part of the hotel and not the new Radius Tower.