“Beautiful hotel but street people allowed to roam”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #36 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beautiful hotel but street people allowed to roam”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in October, and although hotel was beautiful, I did not feel safe. There was little security presence and street people were wandering around the hotel, panhandling. My friend and I were on an elevator and there was a mentally ill man, actively hallucinating, and asking for money. We went to our room, came back, and he was still there. We took the stairs! Perhaps the management feels it is compassionate to allow homeless people to "have a go" at their guests, but this is irresponsible. Compassion is one thing---putting your hotel guests in potential danger is another. We noticed the same thing in another hotel we visited. Downtown Atlanta hotel managers need to get together and decide how to deal with this problem, in collaboration with law enforcement and security.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
We're very sorry your stay was not up to our standards. The security and comfort of our guests is our top priority. We do control access to our guest floors, elevators and other areas to ensure these areas are for guests, and many of these areas have card-only access. In addition, we have a full time, professional security staff on hand 24 hours each day, as well as partnerships with our neighboring hotels and local law enforcement. I hope you'll stay with us again, soon, and if there if you see anything out of the ordinary, please don't hesitate to let any of our associates know, and we will respond immediately.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Waycross
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed one night for a concert and would definitely stay again. It's location is right where you want to be for quick access to fine dining, drinks, and entertainment. The bed was wonderful and the pillows were thick and soft. Everything worked like you would hope while staying at a Hyatt or any hotel for that matter. Great experience all around.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for staying with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed our central location. We are near multiple venues accessible via foot, MARTA transit line or a cab. Convenience is something we look to provide our guests, and we're glad you saw the value in staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Spent three nights at the hotel during Thanksgiving week, so the hotel was very quiet. We all ended up in the International? wing of the hotel rather than in the main central part of the hotel. Having stayed in the main part of the hotel, I have to say that those rooms seem to be in better shape that the International? wing. The door to my room looked like it had been in a couple of fights with some heavy suitcases as it was quite battered.

The staff in the main restaurant were very pleasant, however the restaurant was closed for breakfast the day before Thanksgiving.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thanks for staying with us during the Thanksgiving holiday. All our rooms are nicely cared for by our diligent housekeeping team, and we take every step to ensure your stay is up to par. Glad you enjoyed your accommodations and continue to return to Hyatt Regency Atlanta. We hope you enjoyed your experience at our signature restaurant, Sway. We intend for you to encounter true southern hospitality and great southern food, and we’re glad that was the case. We look forward to seeing you again, soon!
Home
Reviewed 30 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

My stay was not as good as I was expecting.Maybe next time they will put me in a cleaner room. When I did complain nobody paid any attention like it was not a big deal. When you stay at a downtonn Hayyat property you expect much better service.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
We regret to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations --nor our standards. We strive to meet every guest's needs. Our staff is determined to rise to every occasion and we do hope you will give our property a second chance to show you our true value. We hope to see you soon.
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have nothing negative to say about our stay at all. The room was clean and updated, the staff friendly and helpful, the location is good (not great, but it did the trick) and the hotel itself is really nice.

If I had one complaint, its the lack of "free" internet. I didn't know hotels still charge?!? THat was a surprise.

Another note is parking.....its expensive and the only other nearby option with a loose affiliation is a really run down garage around the corner. Its "downtown", so I guess its "typical", but its still tough to pay almost 1/2 the cost of the room just to park.

I didn't try the food as timing didn't work out so I cannot comment on the quality or price but the bar and other facilities looked nice.

I'd come back (and probably will) again for sure.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor with a view and got it....was very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for choosing Hyatt Regency Atlanta during your stay downtown. Our hotel has undergone a $65 million renovation, which included our lobby, outlets, guest rooms, meeting spaces, technology and more. We're very pleased with our transformation and are happy to hear that you are, too! We do offer free wi-fi in the lobby, along with multiple seating options (and nearby charging stations) to meet your needs. Next time you stay with us, check out our City Queen room --it is currently offering free wi-fi! Also, as you mentioned, we do offer valet services to our guests as we want to ensure your safety (and your car's). Our underground parking garage is safe, convenient and allows come-and-go privilege’s. We hope that on your next visit you have a chance to try our outlets: Sway, Market and Twenty-Two Storys! Thanks for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again, soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was my first time staying here. I was happily surprised by the facility, the staff and the location. My biggest issue was that the gym was undergoing renovation (till 12/1) and they had 3 machines in a meeting room. They did offer to get me a pass to the Marriott, but the gym wasn't crowded at all when I went.

Had breakfast in the restaurant. Ordered the eggs Benedict. It was on a biscuit instead of an english muffin. Different, but quite good.

The staff were very proactive and polite.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for choosing Hyatt Regency Atlanta! We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We exceeded your expectations and that is what we strive for! We did renovate our 24/7 fitness center to better serve our guests. You will need to visit again so you may take advantage of the gym facility. Glad you had a moment to eat at Sway, our southern contemporary restaurant. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed every bit of your stay and we thank you for your review and recommendation of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again, soon!
Greenwood, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for Dragon*Con 2013. I give it 4 stars for the convenience of being one of the host hotels and enabling us to get so much more out of the convention experience.
4 stars also for the staff who were very polite, helpful, and quick to respond to any requests.
We stayed in a king room in the International Tower on the 19th floor. Nice view out the window. I have heard some folks had issues waiting for elevators but we never had to wait more than a few minutes. The room was surprisingly quiet, considering how noisy the hall got at times. The room was adequate size (there were 3 of us) and had room to squeeze a roll away cot up against the window.
Now some of the negatives; there was no cot in the room when we arrived, but this was quickly remedied by a very nice employee. Luckily we arrived on Wednesday or I am pretty sure there would have been no cot at all.
The room had a microscopic mini fridge (I am talking tiiiiinnnnyyyy! Like, 3 bottles of water and that's about it). Other than it being the worlds smallest fridge, it also didn't work. Again, a call to the desk had another helpful employee delivering a replacement fridge to our room within 10 minutes. This one was just a teensy bit bigger (5 water bottles! hurray!) and worked. Again, thankful for the Wednesday check in or I'm betting we would have been out of luck on that too, lol.
My biggest complaint was the state of the bedding. I sat down and was about to stretch out when I noticed a shadow on the top cover. Well, it was a big, nasty, crusty, stain! Turns out it went all the way through to the mattress cover. And it looked exactly like what you are thinking it looked like. This was not a stain from a spilled drink but more likely from something that came from a human....if you get my meaning. I just about barfed. I called downstairs (again) and they sent someone up with fresh linens (though the didn't remake the bed or take the dirty ones). I have to say I was pretty grossed out the rest of the weekend.
I keep seeing comments about how the hotel was recently renovated but I have to say, our room looked like it would benefit from a facelift. It was definitely a bit worn around the edges. We visited a friends room who was in the main part of the hotel and it looked to be in much better shape than ours was.
The lobby is gorgeous. The restaurant looked really nice too, but was stupid expensive, so we ate elsewhere.
The only other complaint I have is that the air conditioner did not work very well in our room. We had a repair guy come in and try to fix it, twice, but only managed to make it slightly less horribly hot. Again, the employee was very nice, and quick to arrive, but this unit looked old and dirty and I guess he could only do so much. The fan kept turning off (even though both he and I set it to remain on). It would disregard the temperature I had set it at and just randomly come on and off. If we hadn't already unpacked our mega-ton of stuff I would have asked for a different room.
All in all I would stay here again, if only because it was super convenient for the convention. If you are looking for a hotel with a stunning room, you might want to look elsewhere. The Hyatt in Buckhead is absolutely gorgeous ;)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thanks for staying with us during such an exciting time in Atlanta: Dragon*Con. We are one of the host hotels for this city-wide event and staying with us ensures you will always be in the right place at the right time. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and especially your interactions with our staff members throughout the entire hotel. With such a large convention in-house, our operational team members work very hard to ensure your stay is memorable and ideal. The hotel has many parts that must play out perfectly for success, and we believe we are very skilled in doing so.
We do regret to hear that you were uncomfortable with the bedding in your room. Our housekeeping staff is a hardworking department and they want you to be comfortable during your entire stay.
It's great to hear that you will continue to stay with us, especially during Dragon*Con, and we hope you will think of us during other trips to Atlanta. We have multiple room layouts to fit all your traveling needs, so let the fun begin. We look forward to seeing you at Dragon*Con 2014.