“Lots of good, some opportunity”

Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Ranked #38 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We were in town for the SEC basketball championships. Check in and check out were a challenge with long lines and for some reason those self service kiosks don't work very well. We really enjoyed the bar, both food and drink were outstanding. The breakfast buffet was great with one exception, the variety on the buffet was great, nicely presented, our server was very friendly and hospitable and really made for a enjoyable experience. The one exception to great was the omelet chef who took a terry cloth rag to wipe out his pans. Aren't those the same terry cloth towels that people use to dry off, I realize that they are washed I hope but there is just something about seeing a chef using one of those to wipe out a pan that is preparing my breakfast. I had him make me another omelet and he did without any question.

The room was nice but when working at the desk it was difficult to see the television. The shower pressure was spot on. The Fitness center was nice, lots of equipment and fresh fruit.

We enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thanks for staying with us as you cheer on your favorite team at the SEC basketball championship. Our Front Desk Agents are remarkable and always happy to help our guests with any requests they may have. Our signature restaurant, Sway, does offer a delicious breakfast menu and buffet. The hotel offers many amenities, one being the 24/7 Fitness Center. With free weights, cardio equipment, weight machines, yoga mats and ample room for stretching --the Fitness Center is there to help keep you on track with your personal goals, and we're here for you every step of the way! You can enjoy complimentary fresh fruit pre-/post-workout for that extra boost of health. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Atlanta

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here for business with national sales meeting so I was not involved with the selection. Hotel has a very modern and updated feeling. Staff seems to work hard to provide customer service and are eager to please. I loved having a balcony and opening the door to get fresh air, a major plus. Facility seems to have it all with the amenities and downtown location.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our first experience with the staff was at approximately 4 AM the day we were due to arrive. We had decided to start out our trip the night before. We had purchased our rooms through a discounted site and we failed to add an additional night prior to midnight that night. We could not check in until after the morning audit unless we wanted to pay for that night which was over $200. We ate breakfast and drove around the city, but arrived back at the hotel at 6 AM sharp. The check in process was quick and smooth. We were very happy that we were able to check in so early since we had failed to secure an extra night.

We were not offered any assistance with our luggage by the staff outside. We were asked by the interior staff about our lack of assistance (it was obvious) and they immediately apologized and assisted us to our room.

The afternoon after our check in, literally only a few hours later, we requested to be moved to a King room with a roll away bed as we were traveling with our daughter. Our request was granted immediately and before we could get our luggage to the next room, someone was there with the roll away bed.

Both of our rooms (the double and king) were comfortable and clean. There was a balcony, though the side of the hotel we were on did not offer great views. Our double room included a tub, where the king room did not. This made no difference in our opinion of the room, but for those with small children, it could be a problem.

There is a gift shop, bar, market and restaurant in the downstairs lobby. We could never hear the noise from the bar as stated in other reviews, however our room was on the top (non member) level and so this could be the reason. All rooms do open to the central lobby area. There are no hallways. We were in and out of our room often and we did experience the lobby when the bar was at capacity, but it wasn't horrendous as we thought it might be. We were actually a little envious of all of those who could enjoy the area as we had our daughter. The elevators are extremely fast ONCE you are in them. It seemed the wait for the arrival of the elevator was a little lengthy, but then again - there are many rooms and many people. I am sure they never stop.

We did not eat at the restaurant. It appeared to be overpriced hotel food in our opinion and the fact that there is a mall which is connected to the hotel allowed us to each eat at different restaurant for a minimal price.

The location of the hotel was actually really good. There is a small self parking (unmanned) lot on Baker Street which charges $10.00 for parking. (The valet option was obviously more at the hotel) It was a VERY short walk to the lot. There are no privileges for leaving and returning, but we found there were several attractions within walking distance. Please note, if you are intending on walking to the aquarium/park/Coca Cola museum area, it is not a long walk at all, but it is downhill which means you walk uphill on your return.

The Hard Rock, Hooters and several local restaurants are within a block of the hotel. There is also a 24 hour Walgreens nearby. (Your room will have a mini fridge which came in handy for us.) Walgreens is actually connected to the mall, but only accessible by street entry (that we could find) when the mall is closed. (The mall caters to business travelers and M-F employees, so the hours are not that of a local shopping mall)

I would have no problem recommending this hotel and would stay there again without a second thought. I would not pay $200 for this room though, but this is just a personal issue. I was able to secure this room for two nights for approximately $137 total after fees and taxes. This is less than $70 a night. This was a steal! Be sure and check around if you are the one responsible for your bill.

And one more note - the staff is great at restaurant recommendations. The steered us away from a local tourist trap diner and advised of another restaurant instead. Their recommendation was spot on and we had some of the best food we have had in a while.

With the one minor exception of the outside staff being less than helpful, I cannot say one negative thing that would ever keep us from returning.

Room Tip: Higher rooms probably mean less lobby noise. If a tub is needed, please ask - not all rooms have o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bethany C
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thanks for staying with us and we're so pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us! From your check-in to check-out it sounds like you had a wonderful time with our staff. Our front desk agents are always happy to help and to meet your needs in any way possible. As you mentioned, we do offer many amenities in our lobby: signature restaurant, lobby bar, 24-hour market and a gift shop. Later next month we will be re-opening our spinning restaurant up top, Polaris! We are connected to Peachtree Centre Mall via an enclosed skybridge. The mall does connect to the neighboring CVS so you never have to walk outside, if so desired. Next time you visit, we do encourage our guests to try our signature restaurant Sway. The food is seasonal, with hand-picked recipes from our chefs. We also feature a Healthy Balance menu, because we care about our guests’ personal goals and routines for a healthy lifestyle. All of our ingredients are local and always fresh --some herbs are hand-picked from our rooftop garden! It's a great change from the 'hotel food' concept and we're truly breaking the mold with our restaurants. Plus, there is an unlimited pie bar for those interested, need we say more? If you are interested in exploring restaurants the city has to offer our staff is great with recommendations, as you have mentioned. No need to worry about your car during your stay as there are multiple restaurants, bars and attractions within walking distance: Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, Centennial Olympic Park, College Football Hall of Fame (late 2014) and Center for Civil and Human Rights (late 2014). There's always some place to visit and explore in Atlanta. We appreciate your review and your recommendation of our property. We hope you will revisit soon! See you then.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a school conference. Before arrival, each student was under the impression that they would be put in a basic room with 2 beds, 4 people to a room. It did not happen like that. The hotel overbooked like crazy. Students were packed into tiny rooms in the Radius tower. 4 people in a room with one bed. Some students even had to sleep on the floor. For what you pay to stay at a hotel like this, it is expected that you will not have to sleep on the floor or decorative chairs. Not only did 4 of us cram into a room that would be small for 2 people, but the customer service was terrible. We called around 10:15 one night for some extra pillows and blankets for the girl without a bed. One hour later, no pillows. We called several times and did not get the pillows delivered until after 1am. After calling at nearly 1am before their arrival, the front desk lady was unsympathetic of our situation and gave me incredible attitude. So disappointed with this hotel. They truly do not care about their customers.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Bailee024
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Made a reservation to stay at the Hyatt for 4 days in
March for a convention
Due to a snow storm, I arrived the next morning instead of the night before.
I tried calling the hotel to tell them if my delay but never got
Through
I thought that since my credit card was used to guarantee the reservation I would be ok
Surprise! When I arrived Tuesday at 10AM, I was told my reservation had been cancelled
Lucky for me, they had a room for Tuesday, but not for
Wednesday or Thursday
I was floored as I was not even offered an alternative to another
Hotel.
I was lucky that the convention was able to find me another hotel or I would be sleeping on the streets if Atlanta

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank MDMANBaltimore
HyattAtlanta, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. Out team strives to make your stay comfortable and stress-free. We apologize for not meeting your expectations, or our standards. We hope you will give us a second chance to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed for two nights. The room was comfortable and very wide for myself.
Staff was very helpful and friendly. After I felt unfriendliness at SPG in NY, I was very amazed how they are helpful.
Location is very convenient for major tourist attractions. If you have a car, it could be expensive to park, but it safe to park inside the hotel. I wish they do have car wash service for staying customers. Then I don't have any complain about valet price.
Sport bar on the lobby was excellent. They offer local beers and great beer food. They are always crowded, so it's better go early evening if you are alone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for staying with us and thank you for all the kind words you had about your stay with us! Glad you enjoyed your room accommodations and our lobby bar, 22 Storys. We do offer local craft beer to allow guests a sip of local brews without have to leave the hotel. Our beer-forward bar also provides a menu of apps and entrees, all consisting of beer ingredients from barley and hops to glazes and marinades. We do also offer valet parking services for our guests for your convenience. Your car will stay safe and protected in our underground, surveillance garage. You also have access to your vehicle 24-hours a day, plus in and out privileges. We hope to see you again, soon!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

If it were a motel 6, I'd give it 4 or 5, but it's not. It's a much more expensive hotel obviously but it doesn't meet the standards you'd expect for the price. My list of annoyances just kept growing over the 4 days I was there.

1. Room was small (though nice)
2. It was freezing in the room because the heater did not work the first day. Had to call in the mechanic (who was very nice and came the same day)
3. Ordered room service breakfast on day 1. It took over an hour. Eggs came without the advertised potatoes and the sausage was cold and tasted of spicy leather.
4. TV service went out the 3rd day for the entire day
5. Ordered room service for breakfast on day 3. Took over an hour. Cold. Should have learned my lesson the first day.

That said, the people were friendly, professional and did great jobs, the room was clean and nice.

The hotel needs desperately to work on it's infrastructure and it's room service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Treylathe

Thanks for staying with us! We are sorry to hear that some aspects of your stay were not up to your expectations or our standards. Our entire team strives to make your stay comfortable and stress-free, and we apologize that you did not have this particular experience. However, through the issues we are pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and always willing to help improve your stay. We hire professional individuals to carry the name of Hyatt and we're glad that their customer service stood out during your stay. We hope you will continue to stay with us and give us a second chance to show you the full value in our property.