“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center
Ranked #48 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
boston, ma
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

I stayed at the Omni for 4 days while attending a convention. Maybe it was just bad hotel karma but everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong.

the room was nicely appointed but not the cleanest. I found hairs in the bathroom and one on the bed (Yuck).

I could not find the tv remote control anywhere. I called down to the desk and it took close to 1/2 hour for someone to come up and deliver it to me.

Next morning the toilet was very fussy. I called to get it fixed and though they claimed someone did come up and do so, it worked sporadically throughout my stay.

My room seemed to be made up only after 3:30 which made it challenging to get ready for evening events.

Air conditioning in the room was fine but the facility had inconsistent air conditioning throughout. You would be freezing in one section and sweating in another.

The hotel restaurant has decent food but it a bit overpriced.

All in all, incredibly disappointing for an Omni.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jensamsmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Korean first
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

This was my second time staying at the Omni CNN Center. On both occasions, I have found the staff to be helpful and the quality of the rooms to be above average. (Note: I stayed at the newer tower during both visits.) The hotel is within walking distance of the main attractions in the downtown Atlanta area: the aquarium, the Coca-Cola museum, the Phillips Arena, etc. And, of course, the hotel is in the middle of the CNN Center. The CNN tour is always interesting.

Now, I did find the hotel parking charges to be a bit high for the Atlanta area. It cost me $30 per night! Also, the hot water seemed extraordinarily HOT, so be careful when running a hot bath or just washing your hands. I almost scalded my hands in the sink.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

The room, in the South Tower was very nice: king bed, easy chair, balcony overlooking CNN. But the little things cheapened it. There were several bottles of Evian around the room, priced at $6. There was a ironing board and iron, but a tiny sprayer of starch was tagged $2.99. The "very friendly" staff expects tips. It took $17 in tips to get my wife, myself, and 1/3 of our luggage (we went other places later in the trip) to our room. In the morning I/we found there was only enough coffee for ONE cup with the awkward coffee-maker. Then, there was the $30/day parking fee. We drove around the area; 3 blocks away, parking was $7 all workday and $5 evening and events.
The restaurant, Prime Meridian, is a lesser copy (I mean that in a good way) of California Grill, the second-best restaurant at DisneyWorld.
The pool is small about 15 feet x 15 meters, but the locker rooms are country-club-like, with sauna, there's a large hot tub, and it's outdoors on 6th Fl; rather nice after sunset.
There are other hotels around Centennial Park and closer to the Georgia Aquarium. The only reason to stay at the Omni is if you are going to the World Congress Center, Philips Center, or CNN/Turner. Otherwise, stay elsewhere around the Park, or up on Peachtree.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

I spent 4 nights at the Omni for a recent conference and had a wonderful time! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and made our stay very relaxing. The hotel room was great from the bed, linens, to the view of Centennial Park. I found the rooms and hotel very quiet and slept well. The valet parking and room service was quick. The conference rooms, set up, and hotel staff made the conference very enjoyable. Warning: the Omni nickels and dimes you for the “extras” including high parking fees, 6 dollars for bottled water in room, to 3 bucks for spray starch, and charge for internet and printing in business center, etc! Tip: Business Center lets you print your boarding pass for free. I had no problems with the wireless internet. There are some shops in CNN center if you forgot anything. Skip the hotel restaurant. Food was good but extremely small portions and high prices. Taco Mac is a great place to grab a beer and watch the game.

Safety: This was my 1st return trip to Atlanta after moving away 5 years ago. The downtown has changed for the better! I would NOT recommend exploring after dark for solo travelers but there are taxis if you need to get around. There isn’t anything open after 6pm anyway in the area to see. So grab a drink in the hotel bar – it has a great view especially at night. There are several restaurants around the hotel/CNN that are short and safe to walk to (even alone). This is not the ‘hood but be smart! Just because someone doesn’t look and sound likes you, doesn’t mean you are going to be mugged. Have fun, Atlanta is a great and friendly town.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
West Palm Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

I stayed at the Omni while attending a tradeshow at the Georgia World Congress Center. I chose this hotel for the proximity to the center, and it was closer than I imagined. Out through the side doors of the hotel, and you're in the convention center in 2 minutes. The rest of our stay was somewhat disappointing. There aren't many restaurants or nightlife in that area of town. The staff was friendly enough, but were more interested in gabbing with each other than helping guests. The information they give out isn't reliable either. We asked the front desk how to get to the nearest drug store, and she said that there was a CVS a couple blocks away, and that we had half an hour before they closed. We hoofed it and made it there in less than 10 minutes, only to find that they had already been closed for an hour. Walking there, the street was kind of sketchy, and pretty deserted except for three pan handlers that were very insistent that we give them some change, and that if we didn't have any change, that a dollar would do. Apparently, this is a problem in Atlanta since we saw several signs posted on the streets about not giving money to panhandlers. I don't want to say anything negative about the city of Atlanta in general since I only stayed 3 days and didn't venture out of the city since this was a business trip, but I will say that the hotel seemed to be a magnet for panhandlers stealthily dressed in nice clothes and sporting ipods! The hotel was deserted when we were there, and the nearby restaurants were pretty empty, too. We had breakfast every morning at Prime Meridian located in the hotel, and that was the highlight of the trip. The food was good, except for the last day when we received sour pancakes. Apparently, the batter had turned. And the "chef's special palette cleanser" they have in those shot glasses? They're Dannon yogurt drinks...poured straight from the bottle. I happened to catch them in the act. Room service is terribly expensive, and they charge you a room service fee on top of the charge of the food. (Something we didn't realize until after). Luckily, the room and bathroom were clean and spacious, otherwise I'd have to give this hotel 2 star. Ladies - there's a lighted cosmetic mirror for doing for makeup, but the light is very dim and useless. Overall, the hotel is basically for business, and I wouldn't stay here again unless I had to go to the convention center.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank KellBells
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

This is an urban hotel but the area (other than CNN Center stuff) is pretty barren if you want nightlife or fine dining. It did not help that it was late June in Atlanta – the heat and humidity was stifling. I was there on a business trip attending a conference. The conference facilities at the hotel were excellent, the food was better than the typical hotel fare for conferences, and the rooms were nice. The downside was the walls are paper thin and the group of ladies staying in the room next to me were fairly drunk and loud – nothing like listening to people laugh and carry on at 1:00am when you need to be awake at 6am to get ready for meetings. Another downside (but not unusual in urban hotels) the park across the street was showing an outdoor movie that night (Ghostbusters) and it was also very loud. I would go there again if I happen to be in Atlanta but am hoping never to be in Atlanta again – I would not label Atlanta as a destination city. And, do not get me started on the airport. It makes LAX and ORD fun in comparison.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank SustainableTravel
Sugar Land, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

I was in Atlanta for a conference and was excited as it was my first time there. I booked the OMNI as it was attached to conference center and thought that would make it easy.Having arrived a day early to soak up the atmosphere and get started on my writing (which is how I make my living, I check into the room and was upset to find no internet connection. This began a long coil of hours (from 3pm to 10pm) before it was agreeed that the the tower I was in had "spotty" service and I should be moved. This is after being told 1) you don't know how to hook it up right 2) you are not following directions 3) try ethernet (although I explained the was no ethernet outlet in room). So on and so on and many trips down to lobby. I was not happy. I was less happy that the new room had only intermittent internet service as well. Room itself was ok in new tower- nothing to write home about. Clean and nice toiletries. I travel alone a lot and I must say I have never been so frightened as I was in Atlanta. The hotel is in the middle of the city (i.e. CNN, Coca Cola world, etc). but it is ROUGH. I felt subjet to mugging at any moment and this has never beenthe case. I went to the CVS a few blocks away and went out the back doo that opened on the formerly charming :"Underground" shopping are= I felt like I was on the movie set of "After the Apocalpyse". Indeed it was just not my own fears as a transist cop with a dog came up to me and asked what was I doing there and was I lost. He was noticibly nervous and told me it would be best not to be there and head back to the hotel. Lest you think I was dripping jewels and flashing wads of cash around, not the case. When I do my walkabouts in each city I visit, I dress comfy and not flashy in anyway. The whole point of them is to soak up the city's vibe. Well, the vibe in Atlanta is a bad one. An even was being held at the W hotel, several blocks from the OMNI and the doorman almost had a heart attack when I said I would walk over there (not yet dusk). Cabs lady, you have to take cabs, he told me. They jump out at you from the dark places. GREAT! ThHad another even at Coca Cola which is across the plaza from the OMNI and I was equally nervous walking the well lit paths, yet the group of us stuck together. Very escape from New Yorkish. Anyway, the OMNI is too big...more like two tower stuck together and the weird setup for getting in or out and to the proper floors is not worth the bother of figuring it out. You go up to go down and wave at everyone else on the escalators who are just as lost. The desk staff was ok (after the internet faisco) but the door men were just looking for the dollars. After tipping my cabdriver who placed my luggage on the curb, the door guy grabbed it and put it on a gurney and held out his hand. I asked if he was bring it to my room to which he said, no, and this is the last you see of me so ...<and held out his palm. I started laughing and said I don't think so, who takes me luggage up and he said they have the bell captain send someone to get it after you check in. It waits here. And then he held out his hand again. It was uncomfortable to say the least and even worse as called after me to HAVE A NICE DAY LADY. Frankly, it was the way the whole trip went which is too bad as I feel Atlanta must surely have some nice things about it...I just did not see it. Other attendees at the show (which hosted people from over 60 countries) agreed it was a bust of a city to be in.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business