“Love the Omni”

Ranked #49 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
USA
“Love the Omni”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I go to at least one Atlanta Falcons game each year and always stay at the Omni CNN Center. This year I bought season tickets and me and my group will only staty at the Omni. There aren't alot of restaurants and bars right there but we always walk a few blocks and find plenty. Yeah, there are panhandlers, but welcome to the city. Your stafff is wonderful and so are the rooms.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Korean first
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights with business meeting in the hotel. Not sure why others had a bad experince as mine was very nice. Room was neat, clean with comfortable bed. Ate only at Meridian for one breakfast buffet & it was overpriced at $18. Remaider of 'dinner' meals in lobby bar area (can't remember the name of the restaurant). Tapas sytyle small plates and salads. If you want or need chainstyle 'Flintstone' portions then this is going to be disappointing. But then I am disappointed with chain food quality overall so more of it means nothing to me. Iced tea, lemonade and fruits were everywhere to be had. Efficient and friendly staff. Very nice park right across the street for a stroll.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MicSte
boston, ma
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I stayed at the Omni for 4 days while attending a convention. Maybe it was just bad hotel karma but everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong.

the room was nicely appointed but not the cleanest. I found hairs in the bathroom and one on the bed (Yuck).

I could not find the tv remote control anywhere. I called down to the desk and it took close to 1/2 hour for someone to come up and deliver it to me.

Next morning the toilet was very fussy. I called to get it fixed and though they claimed someone did come up and do so, it worked sporadically throughout my stay.

My room seemed to be made up only after 3:30 which made it challenging to get ready for evening events.

Air conditioning in the room was fine but the facility had inconsistent air conditioning throughout. You would be freezing in one section and sweating in another.

The hotel restaurant has decent food but it a bit overpriced.

All in all, incredibly disappointing for an Omni.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jensamsmom
New York, NY
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This was my second time staying at the Omni CNN Center. On both occasions, I have found the staff to be helpful and the quality of the rooms to be above average. (Note: I stayed at the newer tower during both visits.) The hotel is within walking distance of the main attractions in the downtown Atlanta area: the aquarium, the Coca-Cola museum, the Phillips Arena, etc. And, of course, the hotel is in the middle of the CNN Center. The CNN tour is always interesting.

Now, I did find the hotel parking charges to be a bit high for the Atlanta area. It cost me $30 per night! Also, the hot water seemed extraordinarily HOT, so be careful when running a hot bath or just washing your hands. I almost scalded my hands in the sink.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2009

The room, in the South Tower was very nice: king bed, easy chair, balcony overlooking CNN. But the little things cheapened it. There were several bottles of Evian around the room, priced at $6. There was a ironing board and iron, but a tiny sprayer of starch was tagged $2.99. The "very friendly" staff expects tips. It took $17 in tips to get my wife, myself, and 1/3 of our luggage (we went other places later in the trip) to our room. In the morning I/we found there was only enough coffee for ONE cup with the awkward coffee-maker. Then, there was the $30/day parking fee. We drove around the area; 3 blocks away, parking was $7 all workday and $5 evening and events.
The restaurant, Prime Meridian, is a lesser copy (I mean that in a good way) of California Grill, the second-best restaurant at DisneyWorld.
The pool is small about 15 feet x 15 meters, but the locker rooms are country-club-like, with sauna, there's a large hot tub, and it's outdoors on 6th Fl; rather nice after sunset.
There are other hotels around Centennial Park and closer to the Georgia Aquarium. The only reason to stay at the Omni is if you are going to the World Congress Center, Philips Center, or CNN/Turner. Otherwise, stay elsewhere around the Park, or up on Peachtree.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I spent 4 nights at the Omni for a recent conference and had a wonderful time! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and made our stay very relaxing. The hotel room was great from the bed, linens, to the view of Centennial Park. I found the rooms and hotel very quiet and slept well. The valet parking and room service was quick. The conference rooms, set up, and hotel staff made the conference very enjoyable. Warning: the Omni nickels and dimes you for the “extras” including high parking fees, 6 dollars for bottled water in room, to 3 bucks for spray starch, and charge for internet and printing in business center, etc! Tip: Business Center lets you print your boarding pass for free. I had no problems with the wireless internet. There are some shops in CNN center if you forgot anything. Skip the hotel restaurant. Food was good but extremely small portions and high prices. Taco Mac is a great place to grab a beer and watch the game.

Safety: This was my 1st return trip to Atlanta after moving away 5 years ago. The downtown has changed for the better! I would NOT recommend exploring after dark for solo travelers but there are taxis if you need to get around. There isn’t anything open after 6pm anyway in the area to see. So grab a drink in the hotel bar – it has a great view especially at night. There are several restaurants around the hotel/CNN that are short and safe to walk to (even alone). This is not the ‘hood but be smart! Just because someone doesn’t look and sound likes you, doesn’t mean you are going to be mugged. Have fun, Atlanta is a great and friendly town.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
West Palm Beach
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I stayed at the Omni while attending a tradeshow at the Georgia World Congress Center. I chose this hotel for the proximity to the center, and it was closer than I imagined. Out through the side doors of the hotel, and you're in the convention center in 2 minutes. The rest of our stay was somewhat disappointing. There aren't many restaurants or nightlife in that area of town. The staff was friendly enough, but were more interested in gabbing with each other than helping guests. The information they give out isn't reliable either. We asked the front desk how to get to the nearest drug store, and she said that there was a CVS a couple blocks away, and that we had half an hour before they closed. We hoofed it and made it there in less than 10 minutes, only to find that they had already been closed for an hour. Walking there, the street was kind of sketchy, and pretty deserted except for three pan handlers that were very insistent that we give them some change, and that if we didn't have any change, that a dollar would do. Apparently, this is a problem in Atlanta since we saw several signs posted on the streets about not giving money to panhandlers. I don't want to say anything negative about the city of Atlanta in general since I only stayed 3 days and didn't venture out of the city since this was a business trip, but I will say that the hotel seemed to be a magnet for panhandlers stealthily dressed in nice clothes and sporting ipods! The hotel was deserted when we were there, and the nearby restaurants were pretty empty, too. We had breakfast every morning at Prime Meridian located in the hotel, and that was the highlight of the trip. The food was good, except for the last day when we received sour pancakes. Apparently, the batter had turned. And the "chef's special palette cleanser" they have in those shot glasses? They're Dannon yogurt drinks...poured straight from the bottle. I happened to catch them in the act. Room service is terribly expensive, and they charge you a room service fee on top of the charge of the food. (Something we didn't realize until after). Luckily, the room and bathroom were clean and spacious, otherwise I'd have to give this hotel 2 star. Ladies - there's a lighted cosmetic mirror for doing for makeup, but the light is very dim and useless. Overall, the hotel is basically for business, and I wouldn't stay here again unless I had to go to the convention center.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business