“Very nice hotel but some staff could use manners”

Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center
Ranked #50 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Alabama
“Very nice hotel but some staff could use manners”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We recently took our family for the weekend opener of the Alabama game. Upon a late arrival we checked our car into Valet. My husband asked a door man for his luggage cart or where to get one (which in retrospect is not the thing to do) only to be very rudly spoken to. Upon check in I told the front desk about the encounter. The front desk manager quickly took care of the situation and within a few minutes the doorman and the manager were giving us an apology. A few minutes after that another one of the staff delivered milk and cookies to our room. Since my oldest daughter witnessed the doorman act so rudly toward our family it was good for her to see him "make it right". The rest of our stay was worry free. Our room was very clean and exceeded our expectations. Also,the view from our hotel room was very nice especially at night. Plently of places to eat but get to them before the crowd. My final word to those in the service industry is to train your employees to be polite and kind! Most of the time the bellman, valet and other wait staff are the first the travelers come in contact with and the last to see them off. I found that part of the Omni lacking in southern charm that should have come naturally.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dtljw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Korean first
Duncan,OK
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Nice hotel and it is inside the CNN center close to everything. We have stayed here twice this summer and have enjoyed it everytime. The service is great and the staff is very helpful. Both times we came to watch Braves baseball and we used the MARTA (subway) to travel on. The hotel is a short walking distance from one of the terminals and is very close to the Coca-Cola center and the GA aquarium. There are also numerous places to eat from fast food to elegant dining, within the CNN center and hotel.We found it to be a great place to stay while visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I go to at least one Atlanta Falcons game each year and always stay at the Omni CNN Center. This year I bought season tickets and me and my group will only staty at the Omni. There aren't alot of restaurants and bars right there but we always walk a few blocks and find plenty. Yeah, there are panhandlers, but welcome to the city. Your stafff is wonderful and so are the rooms.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights with business meeting in the hotel. Not sure why others had a bad experince as mine was very nice. Room was neat, clean with comfortable bed. Ate only at Meridian for one breakfast buffet & it was overpriced at $18. Remaider of 'dinner' meals in lobby bar area (can't remember the name of the restaurant). Tapas sytyle small plates and salads. If you want or need chainstyle 'Flintstone' portions then this is going to be disappointing. But then I am disappointed with chain food quality overall so more of it means nothing to me. Iced tea, lemonade and fruits were everywhere to be had. Efficient and friendly staff. Very nice park right across the street for a stroll.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MicSte
boston, ma
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I stayed at the Omni for 4 days while attending a convention. Maybe it was just bad hotel karma but everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong.

the room was nicely appointed but not the cleanest. I found hairs in the bathroom and one on the bed (Yuck).

I could not find the tv remote control anywhere. I called down to the desk and it took close to 1/2 hour for someone to come up and deliver it to me.

Next morning the toilet was very fussy. I called to get it fixed and though they claimed someone did come up and do so, it worked sporadically throughout my stay.

My room seemed to be made up only after 3:30 which made it challenging to get ready for evening events.

Air conditioning in the room was fine but the facility had inconsistent air conditioning throughout. You would be freezing in one section and sweating in another.

The hotel restaurant has decent food but it a bit overpriced.

All in all, incredibly disappointing for an Omni.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jensamsmom
New York, NY
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This was my second time staying at the Omni CNN Center. On both occasions, I have found the staff to be helpful and the quality of the rooms to be above average. (Note: I stayed at the newer tower during both visits.) The hotel is within walking distance of the main attractions in the downtown Atlanta area: the aquarium, the Coca-Cola museum, the Phillips Arena, etc. And, of course, the hotel is in the middle of the CNN Center. The CNN tour is always interesting.

Now, I did find the hotel parking charges to be a bit high for the Atlanta area. It cost me $30 per night! Also, the hot water seemed extraordinarily HOT, so be careful when running a hot bath or just washing your hands. I almost scalded my hands in the sink.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2009

The room, in the South Tower was very nice: king bed, easy chair, balcony overlooking CNN. But the little things cheapened it. There were several bottles of Evian around the room, priced at $6. There was a ironing board and iron, but a tiny sprayer of starch was tagged $2.99. The "very friendly" staff expects tips. It took $17 in tips to get my wife, myself, and 1/3 of our luggage (we went other places later in the trip) to our room. In the morning I/we found there was only enough coffee for ONE cup with the awkward coffee-maker. Then, there was the $30/day parking fee. We drove around the area; 3 blocks away, parking was $7 all workday and $5 evening and events.
The restaurant, Prime Meridian, is a lesser copy (I mean that in a good way) of California Grill, the second-best restaurant at DisneyWorld.
The pool is small about 15 feet x 15 meters, but the locker rooms are country-club-like, with sauna, there's a large hot tub, and it's outdoors on 6th Fl; rather nice after sunset.
There are other hotels around Centennial Park and closer to the Georgia Aquarium. The only reason to stay at the Omni is if you are going to the World Congress Center, Philips Center, or CNN/Turner. Otherwise, stay elsewhere around the Park, or up on Peachtree.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple