“An in depth review, but folks considering staying here should know”

Sheraton Atlanta Hotel
Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I’ll start by saying I had a great time in Atlanta and am glad I stayed at the Sheraton, that said here’s what I want folks to know about the Sheraton Atlanta Downtown as they are looking at their lodging choices;

The most outstanding and caring staff I have encountered. It reminded me of the 1970’s Annapolis Hilton where my mother worked and as a young boy I would often get the treat of “hanging out” with Mom at work, and in those days the name Hilton meant top tier customer service, and it was that same atmosphere here.

I can’t list all the staff that made our visit so welcoming but here are some of them;

Cory the bell hop – I arrived late and had been waiting over an hour for a room - which we had a reservation for - and when he heard about it he got us into a room immediately! I had back surgery a few months ago and he made sure to get our luggage to our room and carried it in for me! THANKS Cory!

The folks at Fandangles – Krystal the hostess, you know how to do right by guests! Tanya, Hana, and Veara, you are professionals and your smiles say it all, and Manager Karim, you made me and my daughters feel truly special. All of you demonstrated excellence.

Victor from Maintenance, you were beyond professional and polite as you repaired our sliding bathroom door, and we are glad to have been helped by you.

These people along with numerous other staff like the housekeeping personnel, café counter ladies, and valets made use feel great about choosing Sheraton Atlanta. Please forgive me if I spelled anyone's name wrong.

The location is excellent as well. Atlanta is an easy city to navigate from this location, and many of the highlights are within walking distance. The hotel is easily maneuvered to off of I-75.

Here are the things I want other travelers to be mindful of and I wish management would focus on because I am certain with the excellent staff if these things are addressed it will make this hotel the premier destination in Atlanta;

Our guest room was a basic 2-queen bed room. It was ok, except that the bathroom was microscopic, had no hook for clothing to hang but that was because it had a sliding door! Not a pocket door, but a hanging door that slid back and forth, and it was heavy, it was a work out for me to open and close, never mind my daughters. The toilet seat cover was so thin you couldn’t sit on it to put on socks or whatever, and again – TINY!

The furniture was a bit scuffed up and the mirror frame under the coffee maker was ruined from the steam of the maker. The phones were…vintage (not in a good way).

The ironing board was, in the words of my daughters “lame”, it was short and bent and the cover was so thin that when I ironed a shirt the holes of the metal board came through onto the fabric.

The hotel itself was in a word worn. All the hallway carpets were horribly discolored and filthy except for the first floor.

The carpeting in the “service elevators”, which everybody was instructed to use because it was the only way to get around, was disgusting, tile should be installed.

I only make note of these things because when you are paying the price for a “Sheraton” hotel you want a value for that cost, and these failings made us feel like we were getting less than we were paying for.

I would likely go back, because of the staff, but I would ask for a room around the pool atrium, it was the most conveniently located room set for access to the rest of the hotel as long as the daytime noise of people swimming didn’t bother you.

Room Tip: Use a special rate like AAA if you can, and ask for a room around the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
dsenden, Director of Sales at Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the fact a well-versed traveler and top contributor, as yourself, took the time to share their experience with us. We truly take to heart all your comments and will make the best effort to improve in areas we fell short. We are happy to hear you had the chance to enjoy our unique customer service and hope you come back to stay with us again next time you are in Atlanta.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,260)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our company has had a conference here for the last 3-4 years. The Staff is AWESOME...very friendly, helpful and most go out of their way to assist you. They had our breakfasts, snacks and lunches all ready for us at the correct times and were on the spot to get you a drink or clear your place. They assisted us quickly when we needed directions or a cab. Whatever you needed they were ready to help. Desk staff checked us in quickly and accomodated our request to have rooms close together. They deserve a big THANK YOU! Hotel was clean and offered great services. Due to time constraints, we were not able to use the services.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevators are quieter. Check about a refrigerator...some of us had them and some di...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We truly appreciate your business and are thankful you chose us to host your conference. Next time, we hope you can enjoy all the amenities we have to offer. Until next time, safe travels!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were given a corner room which was very nice with the exception of the very tiny bathroom. Good bed and bedding, shower very good. Other furnishings in the room very good. Common areas could use some updating.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Come back soon!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have stayed many times at this hotel, and it's one of the best in it's class. The staff is very friendly and the place is clean, with comfortable beds, complimentary laundry machines (that's a real plus), a nice fitness center, a very central location.. BUT... No free wi-fi, unless they choose to hook you up with it. Personally, I prefer the rooms that open up to the pool area (because they have a back door that you can come and go without having to walk the circumference of the hotel) but, the rooms with pool access have double beds, so consider that. Some of the pool access rooms have a fridge though! A great plus, is the complimentary washers and dryers available next to the fitness center. Bring your own detergent, but the machines are free! The hot-tub and heated pool are a definite perk. The roof opens up in the summer to allow sun bathing, but closes in the winter so you don't freeze. Beds are like a cloud. Staff is very friendly and will sometimes help out with the wi-fi if you ask them just right. I honestly don't know why they don't just include it. It's silly. Some phone carriers have problems with reception in that building, so make sure your phone works before you get settled in a room.

Room Tip: If you don't care about bed size, get a room that opens up to the pool, you'll enjoy the sho...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate the positive review, Scott. Thank you for taking the time to highlight some of our favorite parts of the Sheraton Atlanta. We strongly agree with you that the beds are like clouds! Those Sheraton Sweet Sleepers are amazing. Come back and stay with us soon!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Fast and efficient check in (thanks Ms. Smiley). Got a quiet inside courtyard room. Room was clean, Starbucks coffee, bed comfy and climate control quiet and efficient. Only negative was no free wi fi, every business class hotel should have that.

1  Thank TheCFO
dsenden, Director of Sales at Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thanks very much for the kind words on the hotel! We're thrilled that such a well-traveled reviewer had a wonderful stay with us. Don't forget that in every Sheraton, there is complimentary internet available at the Link! Hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Recently stayed at the Sheraton downtown Atlanta. Was in town for a trade show and had booked at the last minute on Priceline. The hotel was fine and the room was spacious and clean. Had limited interaction with the staff, but those I did speak with we're great. For business for a few days was a fine location and served its purpose.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

We greatly appreciate your business as well as your feedback. Sounds like a pleasant weekend and hope you can back for another very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We just returned from a trip to the Sheraton Atlanta and I must say everyone was so friendly and accommodating. This is not our first stay at this hotel and it won't be our last. Jerome the bellman remembered us and was always there to greet us and serve our needs. He is awesome and a real asset to this hotel!! The bar is a friendly place with Hana and Tonja always taking good care of you and making you feel welcome. We had dinner in the restaurant , Morgan was our waiter and he did an excellent job. Karim the the food and beverage manager was also superb! If you are looking for a great place to stay in Atlanta I don't think you will be disappointed in the choosing the Sheraton Atlanta!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you, Kim! We truly appreciate your kind words and sharing your experience with us. Also, thank you for taking the time to individually recognize each member of our team that helped make your stay enjoyable. We will make sure to let them know how much we all appreciate them!