“Family reunion cut short”

Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #118 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We chose this hotel because we have always enjoyed the amenities Residence Inn has to offer. Also this one has a basketball court, a grill, an outdoor pool and free parking - perfect for a family reunion. I arrived early afternoon on Wednesday and sat by the pool to wait for other family members to arrive. Unfortunately a lawn maintenance man was trimming the bushes with a noisy gas trimmer and got closer and closer to the pool until he was right there making so much noise. I asked him how much longer and he said an hour. Did he not see people trying to enjoy the pool? Also there were no pool towels; I requested more from the office and they said they would send some but did not. A family in our group had reserved a handicap room with a roll-in shower and even had the print-out that showed the roll-in shower was "guaranteed," but one was not available. We needed only three rooms but they were not together.... and we had reserved these rooms months ago. We did gather at the grill area our first night and enjoyed ourselves and the free happy hour drinks, but that was the only bright spot of our stay. In our room the upstairs shower had one setting - hot, and we hung our towels up to use them again but they were removed and not replaced. Another family also had towels removed but not replaced and there was a cockroach in their room. Plus the location of their room was poor - backed up to the woods - whoever chose these rooms for our group did a terrible job. We decided to leave Friday morning and continue our reunion elsewhere. We will not stay here again.

2  Thank Denise G
GMallCY, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We rely on guest feedback to continually make improvements and we take your concerns seriously. I will be looking into each of your concerns to ensure that the correct processes are in place to avoid similar problems in the future. Please reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We are Marriott Elite members and always stay at Marriott Hotels. When we arrived it seemed nice enough, but once we made it back to our room, I was immediately uncomfortable by how far back it was. This hotel is set up like an apartment complex. There are many alleyways to walk through to get to your room. I told my husband as soon as we got there that it didn't seem very safe the way it was set up. At 6:11 the next morning we woke up to two loud bangs and a woman screaming. We called the front office and they said they would send someone over. Minutes later we heard sirens. At about 7:00 when we came out of our room, there were police cars outside, we looked to the side of our room and saw police tape and a dead dog on the stairs. None of the staff could tell us what happened. Once we left town, it was on the news that two men were breaking into a car and then they tried following a couple into their room. Their dog was shot and killed and the woman was also shot. Although I realize that in todays world that this could happen anywhere, it seems the way this hotel is laid out with many long alleyways outside and far from the lobby that this was a place that is very susceptible to something like this happening. If safety is a concern for your family, I would definitely skip this one.

4  Thank 1116lexi
GMallCY, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

I can confirm that there was an incident involving a shooting at the hotel. The police have indicated they believe this to be an isolated incident. I assure you that the safety and security of our guests is a top priority and matters like this are very unsettling for us. Security procedures and risk assessments at our properties are reviewed often and we work closely with local and state authorities. In addition to these efforts, we always encourage our guests to be vigilant for their own safety

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed her for our family reunion. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. This hotel is located near tons of shopping, bars and restaurants. No complaints at all.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

First, let me start by stating that the staff at this property was great and the property was very clean--unfortunately, there is little they can do to make up for a poor physical plant and room appointments. Very poor night's sleep, and very uncomfortable in general:

1) Walls are paper thin: Can hear everything inside and outside of the room, was woken up by our neighbor's shower being turned on--so loud I first thought my wife had gotten up early and left the bathroom door open (yes it was that loud). Combine that with rolling suitcases going by the door, stomping upstairs--it was sort of like trying to sleep in a busy train station.

2) Air conditioner also loud: One thing that did help drown out the exterior noise was our air conditioner--I think the last time I've heard one that loud was a cheap window unit I had on my fraternity house room back when I was in college.

3) Bed: Probably the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in in a hotel (and my wife and I travel a lot--I used to be a travel writer and owned a travel company). The bed literally sagged in the middle (even with no one sleeping in it), was thin and lumpy, and had no support at all.

4) Desk Chair: I'm sitting in it right now to write this review. Broken (will not rise up or down--unfortunately stuck in a position that makes it uncomfortably low to work), "leather" cracked and peeling off the chair, and has been used so extensively (or is so old/cheap) that it has no padding left whatsoever.

5) General poor condition of property: Extensive rust on the stairwells, and, most disturbingly, in my room is the ceiling is actually sagging right over the desk/kitchen table area (wall is cracked on both sides and ceiling is visibly deformed hanging down)--part of the wall covering is chipped and hanging down as well.

Looks like the place had a remodel in the last 3-5 years that was very sloppily done: saw a number of places where hardware(like door hardware, recessed light housings, etc.) were simply painted instead of being properly replaced, painting over old caulking, and some of the furniture was either not updated or was replaced cheaply. Some of the room appointments however, look to be of quality and it good shape (tv, range, refrigerator and couch to name a few). Unfortunately, a poor bed is hard to overcome.

Despite a very friendly and helpful staff, and the hotel's very convenient location to the Buckhead area, I have to give it one star. The most important thing for me, in the end, is a good night's sleep in a hotel--and neither me or my wife were able to get it at this property.

2  Thank Kurt S
GMallCY, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your experience at the Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead. We rely on guest feedback to constantly improve our service. I am disappointed to hear that noise from other guest rooms impacted your stay and that the bed was uncomfortable. We take your feedback seriously and will be looking at your areas of concern to make improvements to the property.

I am pleased to hear that you felt the staff service and cleanliness were good. We take great pride in our service and your positive comments mean alot to the team.

We have started the repair project to address the rusted stairwells and anticipate completion by September.

If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This Residence Inn is easy to miss when driving by but is nicely located close to Lenox Mall and other points of interest in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. The hotel itself offers pretty of the same amenities you would find at any Marriort or Homewood (small pool, quickie breakfast, Wi-Fi, etc) so there's nothing that's going to blow you away on the facilities side.

however, we reserved a two-story bungalow that was perfect for my two small kids. They really enjoyed the room with the kitchen, separate bathroom and stairs. A good choice for travelers that need a little space fro active kids.

No 5 star hotel, but OK for a weekend stay

Room Tip: Parking is very tight. You might want to ask room location 1st if driving a large SUV. Also, if you...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I did a lot of research to find a hotel for our family to spend the weekend in the Buckhead area. Apparently, not enough. When we checked into the Residence Inn, I was asked to sign a "No Partying" document which advised that partying and loud noises would not be tolerated and anyone violating the policy would be subject to immediate eviction. That same night, I saw two employees (still in uniform) sitting outside of the front door drinking open bottles of booze. At midnight, we were awoken by loud hotel guests coming back to their room. The next night we didn't experience a noise issue but the walls are so thin that if there is an issue, it would be awful. Luckily, we were in the back of the property away from the pool and basketball court. The rooms themselves are very nice and we liked that part. The breakfast buffet is pretty good except that the scrambled eggs are powdered and taste like dry kernels. Only one working computer in the "business" center. I also had to ask for a blanket for the pullout bed and go get it at the front desk myself. We didn't use the pool but did notice guests outside of their rooms drinking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back away from the pool. Also ask for room on second floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GMallCY, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your exprerience at the Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead. I am disappointed that you did not have a positive stay at our property. I am most disturbed by your comment that staff was drinking on the property. I can assure you that this is not normal or accepted at our property. I would appreciate to know more details regarding this so it can be investigated further.

We take great pride in our service and clearly did not live up to our standards with your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Hotel was close to all the tourist activities in Atlanta and Buck Head. Hotel was clean, pool was very clean and had plenty of tables, chairs, umbrellas and towels. Room was very clean and seemed to be recently renovated, everything in kitchen and bathrooms was new. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Plenty of parking.

Room Tip: Room had a loft with queen bed, the only warning would be if you have kids to watch them close while...