“Great staff, nice hotel. A bit dated.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta
Ranked #24 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We spent one night at the Ritz Atlanta and found the staff to be incredibly accommodating and spot on with service. The room rate was decent. The hotel itself was a bit dated, although you can tell that upgrades have been made. I reserved a king room, but ended up with a double. I didn't say anything because the hotel was full and figured it really wasn't that big of a deal.

We spent some time in the bar the evening of our arrival. Entirely overpriced. We had four drinks: 2 rum and Bacardi, 2 Knob Creek. The bill, without tip, was $74. At the Buckhead Ritz, I would expect those prices, but for this location and ambiance? No.

The restaurant, American Grill, had fantastic breakfast (crab cake Benedict), but the restaurant itself needs some definite work. The carpet was worn, old and dirty.

I would recommend the hotel, but would warn that it is not the typical Ritz Carlton standard.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ManuelDeisen, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your observations us - I appreciate your positive feedback as well as areas of concern. I have sent you a private message with my direct contact information with the intent to follow up with you personally.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We experienced a great Club Level experience. Kristin, the Club Concierge was so helpful, friendly and courteous! The Club is well laid out with discrete two-tops and 4-tops, a small business center and a large Screen TV viewing area. Such a feeling of privacy at the tables and I appreciated the "no cell phone" conversations while in the Club" policy! The food quality, quantity and presentation were outstanding. Wine pours were generous! Bourbon pours were less so.

The rooms are small for a Ritz. This is an older building; dating from the 1930s? The bathrooms have been updated, but not enlarged. I suspect this accounts for the more reasonable pricing with this Ritz. The location is good and one is a short cab or MARTA trip from the restaurants in Midtown. We planned on taking a cab to Empire State South restaurant, but the Doorman directed us to the hotel Escalade. Randy, the driver, was friendly and gave us his card to call for the ride back. We called and he promptly appeared. It is easy to be spoiled by Ritz service.

Room Tip: Our room on the 24th floor was remarkably free of "street noise".
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely comments and praise for our hotel staff - especially recognizing Kristin and Randy. Yes, the hotel has many great features - especially the Club Lounge and its amenities. We are a little "younger" than the 1930's though - The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta opened its doors in April 1984. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not so distant future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Having been to many of their properties, have to say that this one is not one of their best. Service is strong and attentive, but the rooms are tired and the bathrooms are tiny. I suspect that this was a lower end hotel originally that subsequently got a dash of Botox. That said, we had a very reasonable weekend rate and I would stay here over the W and Westin nearby.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have very small bathrooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Keith, thank you for complimenting and recognizing us for our guest service which we are very proud of. The hotel was constructed as a Ritz-Carlton in the early 1980's and standards and expectations of guest room sizes and amenities were certainly different back then compared to more recent times. Nevertheless, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Another great experience at a Ritz property. Staff was consistently very helpful. Restaurant quite good, and prices were reasonable. Only criticism is that the workout room is on the 4th floor. When I originally checked in, I was given a room on the 4th floor, immediately across the hall from the entry to the workout facility. I asked to change rooms and the staff obliged.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very nice - bed and pillows are incredibly comfortable. There's a scale and good workinh hairdryer in every room. Breakfast buffet is delicious but overpriced so there's a small Starbuck's that we go to nearby. Zero noise and great service.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I really liked this hotel. It is in downtown and close to many businesses in peach tree center. Very nice service and had the usual staff of bell men/doormen when you check in.(all courteous). The staff from doormen to front desk to waiters were all superb. The lobby area is small and what I prefer. They have jelly beans on one counter for you to nibble on and some nice hot apple cider on another. Check in was swift and efficient. My room was the only that that prevented me from rating the ritz a five. the room was normal size with a comfortable king bed, flat screen tv and a desk….all good. The problem is that I could see dust everywhere as if it hadn't been clean in weeks. Mind you, I am not super clean freak, however, dusting should be done as a matter of course. I did call housekeeping manager and they were going to take care of it. However, it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Can get your shoes cleaned overnight at no cost which is a great touch and treat.

The gym was small but perfect: couple of treadmills, elliptical and sit down bikes. Weights were limited to about 10 machines and a rack of dumbbells. However, if this wasn't enough there was another facility right next door with a much larger gym/exercise that you could have access to for a nominal fee. The RC gym was good enough for me. Had bananas/apples as well as an assortment of drinks(vitamin waters, gatorwade for you). The shower area was great with sauna and steam. Went to lounge which was small but efficient for a couple of drinks and snacks. There is a nice restaurant called Atlanta Grill which is a nice little steakhouse with normal RC prices. However, less then a 100 yards from hotel is a hooters and hard rock if that is more to your liking. Pricing was very good especially for a Ritz

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
ManuelDeisen, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear John, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I concur with your comments and apologize for the dust in your guest room. I am glad to know that your overall experience was a pleasant one.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I wanted to send a client prospect some of the personal items found in the Ritz-Carlton's rooms. (The prospect is a dental surgeon who tells his staff, "Our patients should always feel like they're at the Ritz-Carlton). I called Parker in Housekeeping, and asked if I could buy a single set of those items. "I'll be happy to send them to you," he replied---THEN refused to accept any money. Even for the postage. If that doesn't speak of extraordinary service, I don't know what does. Thank you, Parker. Thank you, Ritz-Carlton.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for recognizing Parker and our commitment to service excellence.