“A new low” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Midwest
“A new low”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

This hotel appeared to be an old refurbished building on the north side of downtown Atlanta. Im always weary of old converted hotels- I dont find them charming & the rates were very low, so I think I adjusted my expectations accordingly prior to arrival. I stayed in a 2 bathroom suite with a living room.

The lobby bar area is pretty and very deceiving as the stylish decor and downtown vibe ends there. It was also totally empty

Here's my experience:
- room smelled of cigar smoke
-windows do not open at all, not even a crack- I have stayed in many traditional high rise hotels in downtown cities like the peninsula chicago for example, and their windows open.
- room was DIRTY. Not just a little unkempt, FILTHY. The yellow couch in the living room portion was literally blackened in certain areas. The carpet was dirty. I felt the need to rinse the glasses on hot water- there's a difference between doing this to be cautious vs feeling a NEED to do so.
-Ironically, the bathrooms & bed seemed fresh and clean & didnt really make sense with the filth in the rest of the rooms. I admit all the linens were very clean.
- I did get the vibe that EVERYONE was looking for a tip. The bell hop basically took the 20 out of my hand before I had a chance to hand it over to him!

The Food
- Holy hell, I was scared to eat it. My steak SMELLED awful. Like boiled rotten dog meat. I did not touch it. My salad looked like the kind of salad you buy in a bag at a gas station.
- they actually give you bisquits and I have to say- they were quite good.

Bad food is my pet peeve, and room service should always be straight forward and consistently "good enough" at any Ritz. This food was lower end than a truck stop and I was too scared to eat it- thats a new low.

Bottom line: if you can avoid staying here do so. The sad fact is that RItz Carlton USED to mean something. When I was growing up, if we as a family wanted to try a new destination that we were unfamiliar with we always chose a Ritz bc we knew it was a "safe bet" and that wed enjoy our stay. I realize times change and I realize places age- but to be dirty like a motel off the expressway and to have inedible food is so sad. I dont wish places out of business or for people to lose jobs- but there is not reason this hotel should have the name Ritz.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ChloeLove
ManuelDeisen, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. I have sent you a private message with the intent to apologize and follow up with you personally as your experience was unusually disappointing. Just a small correction to your opening statement: The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta opened its doors in April 1984 in this exact same building/location. The hotel was newly constructed back then. I look forward to connecting with you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

The staff were excellent; the casual restaurant was also outstanding. The suites were well done. The hotel could benefit from a car service for short distances and from better room service. The hotel could also better direct guests to location attractions and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for a view across Peachtree.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your recognition and constructive feedback. I apologize that you were not made aware of our complimentary hotel chauffeur services which we do offer to our hotel guests traveling to city destinations within a 5 mile radius. Hopefully your future travels will allow for a return visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta and you will be able to take advantage of this great amenity.
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

From the time we arrived until we left the staff at the Ritz were excellent! Check-in was smooth and the flute of champagne didn't hurt! The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. We came to Atlanta to see P!nk and left our tickets at home! Lucinda at the concierges desk helped us get our tickets reprinted and was kind enough to act like this happens all the time.
The rooms were well appointed and, when I finally got to it, the bed was extremely comfortable. The towels were wonderful and I want some at home! We were definitely spoiled. On check-out the staff recommended an excellent place for brunch.
All in all, it was an excellent trip made so by an excellent hotel and staff.

Room Tip: We stayed on the club level, but I don't think there is a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our ladies and gentlemen - in particular Lucinda, one of our great concierges. I will surely pass on your praise.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

From the moment we arrived the service was excellent till we checked out! We only stayed one night - wish it could have been more and will plan to stay again in the future! Super comfy corner room - very spacious! Bed slept great! We enjoyed breakfast at the Atlanta Grill - very fresh and local!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Ms. Graves, thank you very much for your compliments - we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Had the chance to spend two days in December for business. Both were made easier by my stay at this hotel. Very easy access from I-85 (north) and easy access back on the highway to get home. They seemed to have great "bed and breakfast" deals. I never walked down a hallway that I did not pass an employee that was not cordial. Very impressed with the price and value.

Room Tip: ask if they have rooms available on higher floors so you can get a better view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Perfect decor, service and food. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated. The bed is extremely comfortable. The service and amenities at other hotels have made us feel we don't deserve this luxury. You do deserve it. Treat yourself to the finest.

• Stayed December 2013
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We spent one night at the Ritz Atlanta and found the staff to be incredibly accommodating and spot on with service. The room rate was decent. The hotel itself was a bit dated, although you can tell that upgrades have been made. I reserved a king room, but ended up with a double. I didn't say anything because the hotel was full and figured it really wasn't that big of a deal.

We spent some time in the bar the evening of our arrival. Entirely overpriced. We had four drinks: 2 rum and Bacardi, 2 Knob Creek. The bill, without tip, was $74. At the Buckhead Ritz, I would expect those prices, but for this location and ambiance? No.

The restaurant, American Grill, had fantastic breakfast (crab cake Benedict), but the restaurant itself needs some definite work. The carpet was worn, old and dirty.

I would recommend the hotel, but would warn that it is not the typical Ritz Carlton standard.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for sharing your observations us - I appreciate your positive feedback as well as areas of concern. I have sent you a private message with my direct contact information with the intent to follow up with you personally.