“Disappointing Experience”

Ranked #21 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Napanee, Canada
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Where do I begin... We stayed here in May as part of our 14th wedding anniversary. The Hotel was pretty easy to find, with it being located right downtown, no problem compared to Toronto or Montreal. The Hotel was amazing and the staff treated you like royalty. Check-in was excellent as we had our room booked in advance. We were offered free Champaign when we arrived, but we were just wanting to go to our room and get settled after a long drive. That night we went to the aquarium to see the whale sharks which was pretty neat. Coming back we stopped at a restaurant for a little snack. When we got back to our room that is where things turned for the worse. We had a message from the valet that there was a problem with our car.(never a good call). We went down to valet to be told our car had been hit by another valet driver in the parking lot. They had told us that they had already sent the claim in and assured us everything would be paid for and our car would be back to new. The valet manager and security manager wasn't sure though how the claim would work because we were from Canada. But assured us the head manager would be able to help us in the morning. The manager of the Ritz that night was willing to do whatever she could for the inconvenience, we asked for our night to be looked after and it was done, no hesitation. Still weren't feeling to good about our car and how it would be looked after when we went up to our room. THEN, went to have a shower and the handle fell off in my hand. I was able to put it on so I could have a shower and then the drain wasn't working. I Phoned down to the front desk, told them the problem, they apologized for the problem and were sending engineering up to the room to fix it. The man that came was very nice, he had to take the drain apart so the water would drain, but then the water couldn't be held in the tub for my wife to have a bath because of what he did to the drain. He offered us wine and was going to send it up to the room. By the time they called up to the room it was around 1:00a.m. and we just wanted to go to bed. The next morning we talked to the valet manager and the Hotel manager and they made us feel a lot better about getting our car fixed which was just over 1 year old. We had a breakfast buffet, which was really nice outside overlooking the street. We left that morning feeling better than we did the night before. The Hotel itself was very nice and when leaving the Hotel manager told us that the next time we came to visit they would give us the best room and treat us in first class style. That was very nice but I don't think we will drive 16 hours for one night. Everything about the hotel was very nice, we just wished that our new car didn't get hit and our tub/shower had worked. Our car is still in the process of being fixed, our bank is looking into the check before they cash it for us, we are hoping everything is ok, but we had to postpone our car from being fixed till the end of August, because of the check we received from the valet claims office.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank benny396
ManuelDeisen, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Benny,
I would like to thank you for your comments and to apologize for the unfortunate valet incident that took place.
I have sent you a private message with my contact information so that you can feel free to reach out to me directly. We would love to help expedite this process and make it as effortless for you as possible.
I am happy to hear that the service you experienced prior to this incident was enjoyable.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I love the fact that this hotel is located in the heart of downtown. Although we only stay here once or twice a year, a couple of the staff members have become acquainted with us and its quite nice to be recognized and to receive a warm welcome from familiar faces. Truly the property is well-maintained but its the little things like this keep us coming back.

• Stayed January 2014
ManuelDeisen, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Welcome Back! Thank you for allowing us to be part of your annual family traditions.
Newburgh, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Whenever I come down to Atlanta, I had been staying at the Buckhead property. There was an issue or two up there with slow internet so I decided to try the downtown Ritz for a change.

Unfortunately, I keep comparing it to Buckhead and it does fall a bit short in my expectations. I upgraded to the Club floor and although everyone is super nice and accommodating, it just isn't the same as many of the other Ritz properties that I have stayed at. The offerings in the Club Lounge are somewhat sparse; I have yet to experience that level of sparseness and I've stayed in many Club's. They must have a cheapskate for a manager.

It is a less expensive stay than Buckhead, though, so that factor should enter into any decision that you make. Downtown is kind of dicey as well; you have to be prepared for that if you venture out. It gets wild out there.

The hotel is well within walking distance to many of Atlanta's attractions such as the acquarium and Coca Cola World, among others.

I had a late lunch at the Atlanta Grill (their restaurant) and although the food was good and the atmosphere was good (ate on the terrace) the service was terrible, but that was strictly limited to my luck of the draw that day. I'm sure that is a rare occurrence.

On the plus side, you are much closer to the airport than Buckhead and those few measly miles can add up to some horrendous traffic jams.

The customer service at the hotel is top notch and there is no criticism there.

The internet speed is much faster than Buckhead's, which is one of my main criticisms there. When you need to remote connect, you need speed. Downtown's is not super fast, either, but it is usable; Buckheads was not.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Club Floor if you can; try to use Amex if you have one
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights at end of golf trip in Nov. Staff very friendly and helpful, restaraunt excellent, very fine mojitos!! Everything you'd expect from a Ritz Carlton,will definately use again and would certainly recommend if ever in Atlanta.

Room Tip: Couldn't really help as we were allocated room on arrival, which was fine.
Green Features: Was only there a couple of night so apart from towel exchange couldn't really comment.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank GazBet
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Ritz customer service is the best they really cater to customer needs

Stayed at this property for one night Also ate at Atlanta grill breakfast and lunch

Pros:-
-walking distance to coca cola and aquarium.
- nice and clean property.
- gym open 24 hrs which has steam and sauna room.
-breakfast was good
- people were friendly.

Cons:-

- lunch was not as great.
- parking is valet only I like to park myself so I parked next door $30 one night
-no pool on property

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Gary D
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Came down for a quick one night get away with my husband. Fabulous on line deal included valet parking and breakfast.

The staff was the usual amazing wonderful, all about customer service , which we have come to expect at any Ritz.

The interior was just kind if weird. Seemed like a bit of a late 80s throw back with black paneling super glitzy light fixtures and really ugly hallway carpeting ...our bed sheets had holes in them which was super surprising

We had a room facing Peachtree and it was LOUD!! People hooting and hollering in the street and rooms around us with doors banging and people yelling as they passed by our room at one am

Breakfast in the grill room the next morning was fantastic. Great food awesome staff.

We have stayed at the Buckhead location and Lake Oconee , this Ritz just didn't seem to be on the same level in terms of decor But the staff was all top notch

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Alicia67
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

As a mothers day treat my husband surprised me with an over night stay downtown at the Ritz. He booked a suite for us, we arrived at 3:00 to check in but the room wasn't ready. We were told it would only take about 30 minutes and we actually spent over 2 hours wasting money at the bar in the hotel lobby. I understand that some people check out late, but I was very disappointed they didn't even offer a discount towards our next stay. The hotel is beautiful, the staff was amazing but next time we will stick with the hotels that have more concern about guest being inconvenienced. We wasn't even offered a later check out time or anything to make up for our room not being ready. I really did expect better service than what we received.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Connie T
ManuelDeisen, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Connie, I am very sorry about the check in delay spoiling your surprise get away. I have sent you a private message with my contact information hopeful that I may be able to follow up with you personally. Kind regards.