“It has potential...and that's the problem”

Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area
Ranked #87 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Don't let the refurbished facade of the building or its redesigned lobby fool you...the property is still dated, aged and in need of some serious updates, upgrades and improvements. The guest rooms are dated, in poor shape and in some cases barely livable. I've stayed here twice and have been underwhelmed each time. The front desk staff is really good, but that's where it ends. There are so many other problems top to bottom that it's hard to recommend this property until they address the fundamentals of a proper facility. Beware the open air interior courtyard can be noisy at night with the noise rising through all floors of the hotel and impacting your ability to get a good nights sleep.

If you want to offer a reasonable business property, you need to provide wifi for free to your guests in their room, not just the lobby. You need to provide free wifi to the function space. You need to update and upgrade the rooms, new design, new furniture and updated bathrooms that are actually clean and free of mold.

Learn to go the extra mile, offer turndown service, have your phone service work properly - when i press the "At your service" button i expect it to connect to someone, not give me a not in service ring. And...definitely don't have other guests press the front desk button and get connected to my guest room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank travelguyry
Jim M, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for your observations. I will work with my team on the service and cleanliness opporunities . The hotel is planning a rooms renovation for 2015.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Marriott Century Center. The staff were fantastic, rooms clean, food good at the restaurant and it is well located. We had confusion with our check out and the management took care if it with kindness. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014
Jim M, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you so much for sharing this positive feeback. I will make sure I share your review with my team. Hope we get a chance to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel is just average. My room and the room of a colleague on a different floor were not cleaned on the same day. The executive breakfast was not great either. With so many other hotels in the region, I'll select a different hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer B, Director of Operations at Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Obviously, we wish you would have enjoyed your stay. I do hope you give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I picked this hotel near Buckhead but not really there because that's what I wanted. I wanted to like this hotel. But...
First off the good - the staff was super friendly from the front desk to the on premises mini Starbucks. I asked when I checked in if WiFi is complimentary with my corporate rate - she told me it wasn't but that she would comp it. The lobby is nice and clean.
Then... I checked the beds when I arrived at night and one of the mattresses had a stain near the night-stand. Looked like coffee or a soft drink, but I decided to sleep on the cleaner second bed. Nothing major. It was a comfortable bed and no complaints there...
The next morning, I pulled out the desk chair to get some email done and I noticed a rather unfortunate stain on the seat that I won't detail any further. I did my email sitting on the edge of the bed - good thing the desk had wheels and I could roll it over. I mentioned the chair to the front desk and asked to have it cleaned or replaced. They apologized and said they would take care of it. I went back in the afternoon after my meetings and the chair was gone. Granted, I stayed there for an hour or so with the do-not-disturb sign on as I had a conference call, but they never replaced the chair. That was a bit strange. Sadly I didn't mention this as I checked out as I was in a rush.
the other strange thing was that I am used to having a pad of paper to scribble some notes on. What was provided was a single sheet. Again - I didn't ask and I'm sure if I did I would get more, but to have a single square sheet seemed like they were skimping. Maybe I was being picky because of the chair, but seriously? One sheet of note paper?

Room Tip: try to pick a room that doesn't face the highway
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer B, Director of Operations at Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am sorry you didn't enjoy yourself while here. We will take this information and share it with the team to learn from it.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for about 4 days and had a good time. The hotel was nice other than the rooms were not that clean. It was ok because we were just in the room to sleep but there was stuff on the floor the day we got there and it was still there when we left. Also the wall next to and above the air vent was basically black with dirt. Other than those cleanliness issues the staff was very nice and so were the room/hotel. Another thing is that there was no free wifi you have to pay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer B, Director of Operations at Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments. I will ensure this is addressed immediately. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall. We hope we will get another chance to wow you in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked this room on the hotels website, not the corporate website. While making the reservation online, I was presented with options such as a rollaway bed which I selected since there were going to be 4 people staying in the room. I also requested extra towels and an early check-in. When we arrived, I was disappointed to see that none of the requests had been fulfilled.
The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful and made the best of the early check-in not being available. The lobby was very nice and clean. The room was clean but needed some maintenance (leaky faucet in the bathroom). I had to call and ask for extra towels since they had not been provided as I requested. When I called they asked how many I would like and I said four. When the person arrived with the towels, she had two.
Overall, I think the hotel was a good value for the money. The property and rooms were nice and clean. There seems to be a disconnect at times between the customers requests and what is actually provided however I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Jennifer B, Director of Operations at Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I do apologize we didn't have your requests completed before you arrived, we will work on that. We look forward to to the opportunity to host you brlliantly on your next visit with us.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We just returned from our second stay at this hotel which serves as home to the Joelanta/Great Atlanta Toy show. From the moment you walk through the door, you'll be treated to a special blend of Southern hospitality mixed with Mariott's first rate customer service. For instance, when we arrived for last year's event, we were greeted by a member of the kitchen staff bearing a tray of sweet treats for guests.

This year, when we made the first of several visits to the Stackstone Grille, a waiter rushed over to say hello & that he remembered us from last year. Whenever I travel to a major city more than once & hotel staff say they remember me, that's a BIG plus in my book. All throughout our stay, staff from housekeeping to the front desk to management were friendly & interested in the various events connected with the show we were attending. Any issues or concerns were addressed promptly & courteously.

Both years, our room has been across from the elevators. I've seen reviews from other travelers for this property who have an issue with this, but it's never been a problem for us. Even with views of I-85, we've had no problems with road noise.

Of the hotels I've stayed in over the last few years, Mariott beds are my favorite, hands down. Plenty of pillows & very, very comfy. The bathroom was nice but as other reviewers have mentioned, on the small side. Mariott started offering Thann "Aromatic Wood" bath amenities for guests a few months ago & my fiance', who is very sensitive when it comes to scented products, liked the shower gel.

There are several computers available for use in the lobby at no charge, along with printers. The hotel's fitness center is also on the main floor/lobby as well. The outdoor pool area is nice, but it was a little too chilly to take a dip during our stay. And fret not if you can't get through the day without a little Starbucks--there's one right when you come in the hotel.

The hotel's restaurant (Stackstone Grille) is good, if a little on the pricy side. A breakfast buffet is available daily, along with a number of lunch/dinner items (the flatbread is particularly tasty).

There's no charge for parking--a big plus in our book, especially when staying in larger cities.

Just a few minor quibbles: 1) The TV listing on the small card next to the remote doesn't match the one in one of the booklets in our room. 2) AMC isn't available, so if you're a fan of "The Walking Dead" staying there on Sunday nights, set your DVR at home. :) 3) A microwave would be nice, especially if you're bringing in food after dining out. 4) Be sure to check the cabinet your TV is sitting on--your mini-fridge is in that.

But overall, you won't go wrong choosing this hotel when you visit Atlanta. We're looking forward to many more visits there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim M, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic feedback about the Atlanta Marriott Century Center hotel. I will be sure to share these comments with my team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Buckhead
Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area? Share your experiences!