“Wretched hotel with $9.95 WiFi that does not work”

Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Ranked #63 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
USA
“Wretched hotel with $9.95 WiFi that does not work”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This is a wretched property well past it's prime. The revolving door at the entrance will either simply stop or spin so fast you have to run to escape it's grasp. The elevators are very slow and they vibrate intensely when going down; there are only 3 for a 14 floor property. When you book they fail to tell you it will cost you $8.00 a day to park there and they also fail to mention the WiFi runs $9.95 per day. I have had to pay for WiFi in a few hotels before but at least it worked. In this property the WiFi drops quite often but when you call to complain they make it out to be your fault or they want to send an engineer to you room "to fix it". I know what the problem with the WiFi is; for you techies the DHCP server reassigns your IP Address at random times and it fails to provide a Default Gateway IP, For you non techies it's $9.95 down the drain. My room smells horrible; they have sprayed it with something to mask the odor but it doesn't help. The property is being prepared for an update "in January" from what the staff says so if you stay here be warned that construction workers are in and out from around dawn to dusk along with construction noise. In January who knows what it will sound like. On my floor the fire hose is missing; I don't know if that is against code but I would suspect it is. The TV Channel line up is basically "guess the channel"; the room guide lists some of the available networks but not what channel they are on. Not that I watch much TV but there are a couple of shows I like to catch after a long day at the customer site. Another thing; if you decide to stay here you MUST enter driving southbound on Cobb Parkway from I-285 or a point further north. The property does connect to Cumberland Mall but for some reason you can't get here from there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the mall or better yet select another property; there are plenty in the Galler...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My work is bringing me to the Galleria area monthly and I am trying out local hotels. Unfortunately, this one didn't meet my expectations for a quiet nights sleep. I'll start with the pros: I liked the size of the 700sq ft corner room. Overall size of the property is nice with a lot of amenities, and public spaces were clean. Cons: After reviewing other traveler reviews, I requested a "quiet room in the back" based on a few of the "tips" found on Trip Advisor. When I checked in, I was informed that they "have taken care of me" and "we got you". If at all possible, do what I wish I had done: Gone back downstairs and asked for a room not facing the highway. The headboard rattled due to the volume of traffic that is right across the road. I made due and it was fine, but will not return. I do have to mention that the bathroom was not cleaned well, but no need to harp. You get the idea.

Room Tip: Confirm that you do not face the interstate at check in.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 10 October 2013

They hotel is just a block from 285, very easy on and off the freeway. The parking is convenient also, but it is not free! and I got charged double but then did did reverse it.

The lobby was small but the suite I had was VERY nice and quite large. I was at the hotel for less than 6 hours total but this would have been a hotel I could have stayed at for days and been happy with it.

Other than having to pay for parking there is not a singe thing I can complain about this hotel. It would be a great place for families.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Rising Fawn, Georgia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Went online to book a $79 special that included parking and internet. Internet tried to charge me $134 when I clicked on the $79 Book icon. I called reservations only to get a lady who kept saying that I had to book on the internet. Next I called the front desk only to get no help. They switched me 3 times and finally connected me with the front desk supervisor. She explained that the $79 was only when they had a lot of rooms available and currently they did not, never mind what their website said. Finally she booked me in for $119 and said I was all set. When I arrive, they have no reservation for me. The front desk supervisor, Ian, was no help. He wanted to charged me even more than the $119. I finally got him to go to THEIR website where he found the $79 rate and tried to book me. He could not book me on THEIR website either. He then goes in the back for about 5 minutes and returns and gives me the $79 rate with free parking and internet. When I got my bill the next day they had charged an internet fee. I finally got that corrected and got out of that place.

My room was clean but the toilet almost overflowed with each flush. The sliding doors did not work and the bed sagged in the middle. The hallway outside our room was very noisy all night with people coming and going via the stairway????? Since you had to use your room key to use the elevator, they were bypassing this by using the unlocked stairway doors. People were knocking on doors hollering "Police,...DEA". We reported this to the front desk.

Room Tip: Get another hotel. This one is very poorly managed.
clemson
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My girlfriend and I were looking for somewhere to sleep using our spg points.
This is the cheapest I could found in the city of Atlanta.
This room cost only 3000 points. I dont have high expectation.

The hotel looks old but the room is surprisingly good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night in October 2013. As an SPG Gold member, I was treated with the level of service I expected, and then some. The gentleman who checked me in made sure I got a room on the SPG floor (didn't know it existed!) although I'm not really sure as to the benefits other than that my two bottles of water were already in the room, instead of having to carry them up. He also took care of my parking for me and suggested late check-out without me even having to ask.

As far as the hotel, it's a bit tired. I've heard there are renovations coming, so I look forward to coming back in December to see what they've done. The room was very dated, and one of my lamps didn't work. The bathroom was very well appointed, however, and the room spacious. The elevators seemed to take nearly forever to arrive - at one point, I waited 5 minutes for an elevator to reach the 9th floor.

Room service was very quick, albeit a bit overpriced. The food was excellent, especially considering I ordered around 10pm. Overall, looking forward to returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure what the rooms are like in the rest of the hotel, but if you're an SPG member, try to g...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Seneca, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I were looking for somewhere to eat supper before the Jeanne Robertson show and the Cobb Energy Center Saturday night. We anticipated large crowds at all of the trendy chain restaurants around the Galleria and usually like to avoid that if possible. Being a fan of restaurant.com, I searched for restaurants in the vicinity of the Energy Center. We decided to give the Grill at the Sheraton Suite Galleria a try and were not disappointed. Being a hotel restaurant, it was fairly small - about 10 or 12 tables. The waiter was cleaning one other table when we came in, but we were the only people there the entire time we were there. The bar had a couple of tables and there seemed to be a couple of people dining in that area. The menu is very limited, but our food was excellent. My husband ordered the "Chef's inspiration" which was a salmon dish and I chose a simple hamburger and fries. Our waiter seemed a "unprepared" but otherwise was attentive and very polite. I would not make a special trip just to eat there, but would certainly eat there again if looking for a meal in the area. I have no hesitation in recommending The Grill.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Galleria
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria
Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta Galleria Center
HYATT house Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Galleria

Been to Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta? Share your experiences!