“Quite dissappointed”

The Whitley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #13 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Surprisingly my experience was average. I found a lot to be desired at this hotel and their standards just didn’t meet my expectations and surprised at the lack of attention to detail. This hotel was like buying and expecting a Mercedes S-Class but receiving a Toyota Corolla. It may have the name and look luxurious, but it’s only on the surface.

My experience exhibited filthy carpet in the room, a musty odor in the hallway, expensive Wi-Fi, small rooms, hair in my bed and a used band-aid on the floor of my room. Let me address the wear and tear of the hotel and my room first. I can understand the need for updates and the maintenance difficulties of a high occupancy hotel but for a Ritz-Carlton to have brown/gray path makes engrained into the yellow/gold carpet it certainly doesn’t scream of high standards of excellence. The kicker was the used band-aid that I found on the floor next to my bed. After notifying the staff, they ensured me that it would be taken care of and the room cleaned again. When I returned at the end of the day, my room was still not clean nor was the band-aid removed. This was not a pleasant experience.

The staff did seem concerned and was courteous. They did get it right on the second try.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
E_Schinnerl, General Manager at The Whitley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your feedback on your recent visit in March; please forgive us for the poor experience and inexcusable lack of promptly resolving your valid concerns. I have personally addressed the shortcomings you have brought to our attention and my team joins me in looking forward to your return. Allow me to also reach out to directly. Warm regards, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The location can't be beat and the staff is very attentive. That's not enough though to feel as though your in a Ritz! The rooms are painfully tiny. Stay away if your a business traveler as wifi isn't free. I had to hunt for outlets as there are soo few. I had to charge my iphone in the bathroom (which by the way is TINY & I'm 120 pounds) another reason because they haven't updated their iphone alarm/radio charger. The decor was straight out of the 80's and not the high brow sorts either. It was clean but no elegance, flair, modernity, or anything of the sorts. I will say that the indoor pool was great. The feel in the lounge area is sumptuous and rich feeling. Nice. Breakfast consisted of excellent service and a good variety of choices.
Valet was prompt and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a quick and unplanned trip to ATL and needed to be in Buckhead for convenience. We booked the Ritz thinking it would be a safe bet as we have stayed in this hotel chain on other occasions. However, we were very disappointed and quite honestly should have guessed something was off because the rate was so low. The hotel needs an upgrade. Period. The rooms are in line with a nicer Hampton Inn and we found nothing in the way of luxury with our stay. Most importantly, the good was awful!! We had both a late night snack and morning breakfast at the hotel and both were horrible. I asked a travel agent friend after our trip what she knew of Ritz as a whole and she mentioned the chain is very inconsistent and it's hard to tell what you will get at varying locations. Good to know!

• Stayed: April 2014
Sheila B, Manager at The Whitley, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your feedback. Please forgive our shortcomings which I am personally reviewing and following-up on. Allow me to contact you directly to address your concerns. Please let me know how I may reach you.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My trip was to Columbus,GA so i stopped one night in Atlanta after arriving Atlanta airport. I booked Ritz buckhead hotel for that night. I really like the hotel. The location of it was perfect, near to malls and shopping centers. very calm area and secured.
The room was big enough while the lobby was small. the hotel's stuffs were very friendly, smiling all the time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Beautiful, elegant, and always at the top of the "food chain." This place is always clean with smiling, professional staff who genuinely appear like they would do whatever they could to make your stay better. Great workout facility - again, very clean and well stocked with towels, drinks and power bars. Nice lounge and location, location, location. My two criticisms: 1) the rooms need more accessible electrical outlets. In today's world of smart phones, tablets, etc, there should be easier access to outlet strips or the like. 2) The lounge band is pretty out-dated. And if they're what folks want to hear, which everyone is entitled to their opinion, then stay within their reach. So, the 60+ year olds playing the jazz version of Daft Punk almost made me want to put ice picks in my ears. I know this seems trivial, but it was pretty hard to listen.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mpspellman
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed there last weekend on a girls trip. From the moment we walked in to the moment we left everyone was very friendly and eager to help. Spent some time in the spa and it was lovely. Great treatments and friendly staff. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was well appointed and quite comfortable. My only observation was that the couch in the living room was extremely worn out and probably should have been replaced a few years ago. Had drinks in the hotel bar a few nights and it was nice, very comfortable surroundings and good action. Location was great, quick walk to Marta and lots of shopping and eating nearby. Would go back anytime.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2014

You will feel very welcomed and well cared for at this classic Ritz property. Service is outstanding from check in to restaurant to concierge staff. Decor need some updating and feels a bit dated, however.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family