“Terrible stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #76 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
“Terrible stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Arrived at 3pm to check-in for a wedding that evening, but the rooms weren't ready. Thought no big deal I'll just go to the pool, but there is no pool on site (have to shuttle to gym in the area). Rooms were still not ready at 6pm so I yelled at the manager and he gave us some other room. Made me late to the wedding that I was a groomsmen. Walls are thin and doors slam shut loudly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank 542patrickl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel was crazy packed and rooms were not available until as late as 5:30!!! The staff compensated with handing out more cookies and free ice cream. There were people in the lobby camped out with their bags which was kind of annoying. Otherwise the hotel is located in a cozy location near shops and a variety of food options.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We cannot say enough good things about our stay at the Doubletree Buckhead. We read the reviews of the hotel prior to booking and are puzzled with some of the complaints. It is a lovely hotel. Our room was beautifully designed and appointed in a modernist tradition. The hotel staff and the housekeeping staff were quite friendly and hospitable. It was within walking distance to the Marta station and Lenox Mall. We were there Friday through Sunday morning and, during that time, did not get our car out of valet parking because of the multiple entertainment venues and restaurants around the hotel. It has a great location - in sort of cul de sac off of Peachtree. Loved the hotel and expect to return again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the Doubletree Buckhead for three nights during the 4th of July weekend. I wasn't really excited about staying at this hotel due to the poor reviews on TA, but the price just couldn't be beat so we booked a room. I will say that the hotel's location is very close to everything near the malls at Buckhead.

When we arrived around 3:40 on Friday afternoon, the front desk had at least 40 people trying to check in on two lines. There were a dozen groups of people with their luggage hanging out in the cramped lobby. It was not pretty--it felt like a mosh pit. There really was no urgency on the part of the two front desk attendants to get through the crowd efficiently. One of the main problems was that rooms were not ready and guests were expected to just hang out in the lobby and wait until they were (with no commitment as to when that would be). People were angry, tired, and disgusted and no one from the staff seem to care. It didn't matter that you had dinner reservations and needed to change. Luckily, our room was ready, but one woman walked out and went across the street and got a room at the Courtyard.

The rooms are fair at best and need a thorough cleaning around baseboards and where they think people won't look. The tiles in our bathroom had lost their grout and were pretty sharp on our feet. The drains are slow. Wifi in your room is not free. I don't understand how Microtel and other budget hotels have free wifi and a property owned by Hilton does not.

Now, two bright spots...

Dexter (front desk) went out of his way to see that customer needs were met. He was empathetic and the hotel needs to hire a dozen Dexter-type staff members. The leadership at the front desk during the wave of check-ins was lacking.
Lamont (valet) provided fantastic service. He is a one-man valet machine. Very often he was on his own and kept vehicles moving and customers happy. He deserves a promotion and a raise.

Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again. There are just too many other choices in the area.

This is the second Doubletree I have stayed in recently that didn't meet the standards that I expect from a Hilton. Hilton needs to either straighten them up or close them down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

MS
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Doubletree Buckhead is the top hotel for charm and true southern hospitality! From the front desk staff to the bellmen and housekeepers, this is a hotel whose manager recognizes what a valuable asset their employees are and trains them accordingly! I never leave the property without feeling I made the right choice to stay here. I am heading this way on Thursday and I look forward to being on the premises!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room on the top floor and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Nashville, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay there. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very nicely equipped. I will be staying there again! I would recommend this and any other Hilton family hotel. My friends and I took forever making a decision on where to stay and I'm glad we chose Doubletree!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Overall, the hotel was clean with nice rooms and had very nice staff. The staff however wasn't the most helpful. When asking for basic bar and restaurant recommendations in the area, they directed me to an electronic map. I wanted a hard copy map of the area so that we could walk with it and they didn't have one and they also didn't have any personal recommendations, which would have been nice. Also, pet friendly was probably a good thing for pet owners but not good otherwise. There was a dog across the hall that barked non-stop and when I called the front desk multiple times, nothing happened. BUT for the $99 price paid and in Buckhead, I think it was a good deal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple