“New and terrific”

Ranked #55 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Philadelphia
“New and terrific”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

First time in Atlanta. Since we were using MARTA, I sought a hotel that was on the airport line but also close to the High Art Museum and the Mitchell House. The 10th street-just-off-Peachtree location hit the mark. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient even though the hotel was crowded (and eventually sold out due to a terrific $99 rate). We stayed on the 10th floor and while our view was of a parking deck, we preferred that to 10th street since we were concerned about street noise. The 2 Queens room was quite spacious--large enough for an alcove area with 2 large club chairs, a small table, and a very good reading lamp. Comfortable beds, refrigerator, functional (and cool) bedside reading lights, and large flat screen TV. Bathroom not as large compared to the rest of the guest room but clean and nicely appointed.

High marks for guest friendly service: the maid gave us extra toothpaste and the bar staff not only opened a bottle of wine for me (that I sipped in the room) but gave me small creamers and a spoon since the in-room coffee set up came only with packaged powdered creamer/stir stick. At check out, we were able to securely store luggage at no charge.

I would have rated this property Excellent if the room decor were slightly more trendy (more colors, patterns) and if everything was in tip top shape (a door stop was broken and a bulb was out in a nightlight) but these are very minor and will probably be fixed after the hotel has been in operation for a full 3 months. For the price, it was Excellent and I will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1020--near the elevator but didn't hear it at all. No view but also no street...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wrpcons
Alyse S, Manager at Hyatt Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear valued guest,

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don’t hesitate to contact me directly at 404-917-2722.

Isaac Leonards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This looks to be a nearly brand-new hotel, so it was no surprise that everything in my room looked pristine. The room had one feature that I particularly enjoyed -- some motion-activated lights on the bedside tables, so that any time I walked around at night some night lights fired up. My new room was a bit short of clothes hangers for my tastes, but after I notified the front desk the hotel remedied the situation right away.

Generally I was quite happy with the service. The valet guys were super nice and quick, and the members of the front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Just about every staff member I saw said hello and (if the situation seemed to warrant it) asked if I needed anything. Even the guys who were doing some light construction-type work on the second floor smiled and said hello. Really, I was thrilled with the service by and large. However, there was one glaring exception to the quality of service.

My first morning in the hotel, I found the restaurant to be exactly what I wanted -- a place to grab a relatively quick but filling breakfast. Service was prompt (including the much-needed coffee refills any time my cup got low), and the full buffet was delicious and reasonably priced. As other reviewers have noted, the fruit at the buffet was fresh, and the berries in particular were to die for. I'm not really a pastry guy, but for those who love pastries for breakfast the selection looked mighty tasty.

In contrast to a great experience at breakfast the first morning (a Thursday), the second morning (a Friday) was just the opposite. It took nearly 5 minutes before anyone working in the restaurant even noticed me -- puzzling given that there was only one other patron in the place. To all appearances the server had wandered out of the restaurant and wasn't paying much attention to the shop.

Not wanting to trust my schedule to a server who had disappeared for a while, I decided to have the buffet again. (Too bad -- the menu was short but looked very interesting.) However, when I got to the buffet it was entirely different from what it had been the day before -- the hot foods were missing, for example. (What's the deal with that? Can't the restaurant put something on the menu explaining what kind of buffet is available on what day(s)?) I went back to my seat and waited to order off the menu, but the server was too busy gabbing with some other restaurant employees to worry about me.

So there were three restaurant employees chatting, while one of the two patrons in the restaurant cooled his heels at his table. I gave up and walked out. [NOTE: The review before mine noted exactly the same problem -- a delay in the restaurant so long that the customer walked out. The restaurant looks to be the "weak link" in the hotel.]

Since the hotel restaurant was effectively AWOL, I asked the nice young ladies at the front desk for recommendations. Thanks to them, I discovered the Flying Biscuit restaurant down the street. Breakfast all day, and it's delicious (although word is that sometimes it gets very crowded, i.e., lines out the door.) If the hotel restaurant's staff is asleep, don't waste your time -- head to the Biscuit.

There were some other minor issues that didn't affect me much but might be worthy of note. First, there seemed to be no "express" checkout option. The usual draft bill slipped under the door didn't show up, so that when I got to the front desk to check out, things were starting from scratch. Second, it didn't take long from when I ordered my car to when the valets brought it out, but the space available for cars in front of the hotel is limited, and I can see a risk (granted, I'm speculating to some degree here) of a bottleneck when the hotel gets crowded.

Finally, there was some construction on 10th Street outside of the hotel. On a Saturday morning before 9 am, there was jackhammering or the like just outside my second floor window. This was work on the streets -- i.e., the city's doing, and beyond the hotel's control -- and had the look of a short-term project. I'd imagine that this work is just about done by now, but someone who's thinking of staying in the hotel might want to ask about it before checking in for a "sleep in" leisure visit. Come to think of it, late noise doesn't bother me, but 10th Street can be kind of noisy even without the construction. For real quiet, a room away from the 10th St side of the hotel might be better.

Room Tip: 10th Street side can be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Jimbo870
Dear valued guest:

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Hyatt Midtown is a new property that I intentionally sought out as the company is known for its great service. The rooms are very well appointed with modern design and stunning bathrooms. Room service was also punctual and very good, but unfortunately this great service did not extend to the restaurant. I waited for 15 minutes with staff in abundance for my order to be taken and finally left because I needed to get on the road. A warning also about self-parking - it is on the 9th floor of an adjoining structure and there is no elevator access, so drop your bags at the front desk or you will be hauling them down the stairs to take the 8th floor elevator.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lambjr
Alyse S, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, 30 September 2013

Isaac Leonards
Front Office Manager.
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was here for Dragoncon and enjoyed the Hotel. Although I stayed elsewhere, I spent most of my time here and found the convention facilities excellent. Despite the crazy crowds until all hours of the night, the staff were helpful and friendly. It is rare the staff at the hotel make a con better but I think in this case they did.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Isaac leonards
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We visited Atlanta to visit our son and daughter in law, who live in the heart of Midtown. This hotel has a great location. There are tons of restaurants and attractions within walking distance. The staff was friendly and helpful. We did not use the restaurant or bar because we were there for only one night and there are so many other choices outside the hotel. The room was very clean and newly renovated. The lobby was quite modern with some great sofas and chairs. We stayed on the second floor facing 10th street and we did not have any problems with noise. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Midtown Atlanta!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Thank You.
Minnesota
Reviewed 9 September 2013

It is about 1 1/2 blocks from METRA Midtown station and a good choice from the airport and for downtown activities; Rooms were very spacious and hotel was quiet, despite being fully booked. Front desk staff very friendly and accommodating. Very good restaurant adjacent to hotel.

Safe in room did not work and calls to front desk went unanswered with multiple rings before simply ignoring issue. Front desk was very busy with convention and full house.

Room Tip: Had a suite but did not use sitting area at all.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gunflint1
Alyse S, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
gunflint1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put a review on Tripadvisor for us! We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have you as a valued guest. I want to apologize about the in room safe not working correctly and the front desk not getting the call. We will be sure to address the issue immediately. I will private message you shortly.

Warmest Regards,

Brandon D. Nichols
Front Office Manager
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel as nice and bigg... the employees was helpful...the room was big and roomy.. I can say this was a best hotel I ever stayed in and would recommend it... Atlanta is a beautiful city... the food was ok wasnt to excited about it but there was a restaurant right acroos the way

• Stayed March 2013
Alyse S, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Carla1018,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are so happy to read reviews such as yours because this is exactly what we aim for. I am excited to share the reveiw with the entire team! We look forward to welcoming you back on property on your next trip to Atlanta!

Warmest Regards,