“Good Value - Great Staff”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Atlanta Ballpark at Cobb Galleria
Ranked #41 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Looking for a clean and quiet hotel for an attractive price in the Atlanta area I quickly found the La Quinta hotel and stayed on two different occasions, separated by roughly 3 weeks.
First and foremost, I cannot praise the front desk enough. At my first checkin I was greeted extremely friendly and - being a returns member - everything had already been taken care of - I've seen it done differently...I briefly chatted with the front desk clerk about where I am from and how to pronounce my name. Apparently that did the trick because I couldn't have been more surprised when I returned three weeks later: same front desk clerk, remembered me, remembered my name, greeted me by name and handed over my keycard including a free room upgrade. So just based on this experience, this was great stay.
The property itself is a large, multi-story La Quinta. Open lobby, long hallways, well maintained rooms and quiet. The walls are a little thin but since my neighbors were mostly quiet and their TV was apparently not very loud I can't complain. What annoyed me a little, but seems to be common, there was a big gap between door and carpet, a lot of light coming in from the corridors and you could hear conversations and everything on the outside - assuming it's two-way, better keep it down on the inside!
There were renovations under way in 2010, I don't know if they have been completed in the mean time. Front Desk advised me immediately of the construction crews' working hours and appologized for inconveniences in advance, asking me to come see the front desk in case there was too much noise. The parking lot and the entrance to it are somewhat twisty. I guess the only negative point I found was getting away from the hotel - there is a traffic light with very short green light directly next to the hotel and the intersection seemed to be jammed all the time with people heading away from the office buildings next door. Once you've made it accross that intersection traffic is light and you are directly on I-285. Alternatively Paces Ferry Road quickly tightens and leads into suburban areas with a few restaurants and shops within driving distance - be advised, you will need a car to get food as the nearest restaurants are on the other side of the interstate. Drive to downtown Atlanta in off-hours is approx. 15minutes driving east and then south on US-41/I-75.
Internet reception in all of my rooms was good. Some of the vending machines weren't fully stocked, but then again, when is that ever the case...While the room was equipped with a flatscreen TV, the furniture is not up to the latest LQ standard - however, it is still in good shape, it just doesn't look as good as the new dark wood they are rolling out. I did like the bathroom, it was nicely done with mirrors on (almost) three sides.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for stays in the Atlanta area.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank aRTie81

Reviewed 25 October 2010

Stayed here as a start/end point to a 140 mile bike ride down the Silver Comet trail. Great location to start the trip and has several restaurants that are walking distance away. The hot tub was awesome to have available after the 70m trip back from Cave Springs. Hotel was getting painted and was in great shape.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank MarksterInFL
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We stopped here on a cross-country trip with two dogs and two cats. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and were very impressed with the room. It was spacious and very clean. The bed was super comfortable and the hotel overall was very quiet. We especially liked the fact that there is a big field right across the street where we went to exercise the dogs. Also the Panera bread right in front of the hotel was convenient to grab a tasty dinner without having to leave our critters unattended for too long.

The staff was extremely nice and friendly. Everyone we saw always extended a greeting and a smile. Check in took less than 2 minutes.

The only gripe we had was that the elevator closest to our room wasn't working half of the time we were there, but they were actively fixing it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We checked in around 9 30 pm. My colleagues room was not made up. I spent about 20 minutes listening to the front desk phone ring so that I could order a movie in my room, it took too long so I gave up and went down there. It still took to long so I gave up completely and am writing this review instead. It is to big of a hotel to have only 1 person working here. I would not go back, probably wouldn't do a la quinta again either.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2010

All the reviews raved about how wonderful this hotel was. In my opinion, it was okay. The staff were nice, the bed was comfy and the room was clean. There was that issue with the bathroom doors. Very cheap and did not close well. The size was good and the location was great, one exit down from a mall w/ shopping and tons of food. And 15 minutes from downtown.

The room felt like it echoed and I was afraid our neighbors could hear every word we were saying (although I admit, I did not hear a peep from our neighbors), however you can hear inside the rooms if you are walking down the halls. Walking the hall to get ice, I heard everything from personal conversations and a ball game on the tv to a couple being "intimate" so i would suggest maybe putting a towel down in front of your door if you would like privacy from the other guest walking the halls.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I knew the rate was cheap, but the good reviews persuaded us to stay here while travelling north from Florida. Unfortunately the first room they tried to give us hadnt really been cleaned, and the desk person would've know this because they said they had to"check it out" before we went up. Then received a different room after complaining and I would give that room about a 8 out of 10 for cleaniness, but this hotel is poorly constructed for a new building. Bathroom doors wouldn't shut well and shower head pulled from wall. This place could be really nice...charge $55 instead of $45 and use the money to have more employees!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GRtravel
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Was at this location while visiting friends. Stayed Sun-Thurs and the stay was wonderful. There was a slight mix up with my reservations but the front desk clerk was, friendly, thorough, and immediately righted the mix-up. I could not have asked for a more professional or courteous staff!! Given I was here on leisure, I never made it to the breakfast as it was over at 9AM :(. However, the room was large, and having the refrigerator and microwave was nice for a 4 night stay. The high speed internet in the room was wireless and was by far, the fastest speed I'd ever experienced at a hotel. My computer was as efficient as at home and that doesn't happen too often. The desk and work area are well lit and there are several extra plugs at the desk if you need them. The bed was very comfortable with high thread count sheets and 5 (!) pillows! Loved it!!

The location just off 285 was also very convenient. In addition, there are a ton of really good restaurants within a mile of this hotel--without having to get back on 285--which if you know Atlanta, you know is a BIG plus!

All in all, I was very impressed with this hotel and especially, its staff. The GM should be commended for having trained them exceptionally well.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo