“Good business stay”

Courtyard Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria
Ranked #108 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
“Good business stay”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Who has to do anything is SITA's offices just can't avoid being there. It's a bit dated, but they are renewing. The breakfast is good for business purposes. Swimming pool is ok as well as the fitness facilities. And the neighborhood is amazing: the river is just close and a lot of trial paths.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This Marriott is aged and worn. It is also under rehab so perhaps they are addressing the issue. The rooms smell really musty and the quality is just a bit below usual marriott standards. The fitness center is undergoing renovation as well but still open. It is right across from the Cumberland Mall and they run a shuttle which is very convenient.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank globetrottertoday
Don G, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I am disappointed that the your room was "worn" has we recently underwent a renovation in all of our rooms. We will continue to make updates and improvements to keep the hotel "fresh."
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is my second stay and it was all good. The rooms are clean and the price is good for Atlanta. The pool is good for labs and they have a decent workout room. No problem recommending this hotel. Check in was fast and easy.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Chesterfield, MI
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I enjoy the Marriott Courtyard hotels because I know what to expect when I stay there: a comfy bed with nice pillows with room to work. The only thing that made me give this hotel an average rating rather than a "Very Good" rating was the Internet connection. I know that sounds petty, but let me explain....

I stayed for business. I was in Atlanta for training. Since I support servers and networks for a living, I need solid remote connectivity. I did not get that here. The connection was slow and sometimes flaky.

On the plus side, even though the towels were a little scratchy, they were plentiful. I really liked the King room that I had (Room 212 on an outside corner of the hotel). It had LOTS of space to spread out all of my class materials and set up my laptop and not have to disrupt it. The housekeeping staff was friendly and accomodating. The front desk was very good about wake up calls and recommending restaurants and other things in the area. They were very friendly to just chat with also. They really made me feel welcome in a city foreign to me.

I was a little bit frustrated that there was no card that listed the TV channels, but they have pen and paper by the bed....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out THAT solution.

One BIG item for me is that they had working plugs next to the bed side table that were easy to access. I need a CPAP mask to keep me breathing when I sleep, and it gets really frustrating when there are not enough working outlets, or I have to call the desk to hunt down an externsion cord. This was not an issue here. There was plenty of outlets and right where I needed them.

(Also keep in mind that unless you get some kind of a special, you WILL be paying for breakfast)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Western part
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The hotel is well located, has covered free parking and has comfortable rooms with the standard nice beds and a good desk.
There was a refrigerator in my room which was a nice touch.
Housekeeping was done well and there was nothing wrong with the bathroom. Good water pressure, lots of counter space, etc.

Breakfast is what I expect is the standard of all the Courtyard by Marriott's now. The breakfast staff was reasonably friendly.

Now for the issues: There is no self serve guest laundry. Unlike the experience of a previous reviewer, it does not seem to be standard practice to take you to a "sister property". This would tie up a lot of time anyway. It used to be that all of the American CY inns had a guest laundry. That this one does not is unhelpful. Especially since more people carry on nowadays, a laundry is more useful.

I know that it is common to complain about the internet. However, this place takes the cake. Not only is it unbelievably slow, but it also doesn't reach everywhere it should. Maybe they should make doorknob mounted laptop holders so you can work and be hooked up to the net. Sadly, if you do hook up, it will remind you of the dial up days. It is that slow.

I found the front desk staff to be very superficial and not sincere at all. This was very much emphasized when comparing it with a subsequent hotel, where they were sincere.

If all Courtyard hotels were this way, I would definitely never stay at one ever again.

Room Tip: If you just need old fashioned sleep, this hotel is fine. Even facing the road, it is quiet enough...
Bremen, Georgia
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I have stayed at this property on multiple occasions and have had a good experience each time. It's convenient to shopping (there is a large mall across the street within walking distance), many nice restaurants, some within walking distance. The staff is friendly and accommodating. On one occasion I traveled in on my motorcycle and needed to launder some items. While they didn't have a guest laundry one of their sister properties did and they offered to shuttle me over to use those. The rooms are nicely appointed and have comfortable beds. Parking is free and when I ride in on my motorcycle I particularly enjoy the advantage of the covered parking garage. A very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have the most windows.
Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2013

This is by far the largest Courtyard I have ever stayed at. I think its 9 floors high. The lobby is completely remodeled in the new corporate look which i think is too european...but its nice! The people working the lobby breakfast in the morning were awesome! Parking here is as convenient as it can be, but its not convenient..its part of a large shared garage with an office complex. If you park on the lower level, you have to take an elevator up to the Lobby floor and then a separate elevator to your room. The health club here is one of the nicer ones I have seen at Courtyard...Free weights, multiple treadmills and weight lifting machines...I agree with one of the other reviewers though...there are no "wipes" for cleaning the machines...yuck...they have to fix this. The room was decent...clean, well maintained...what I would expect. The location is very good. The cumberland mall is across the street and its a huge area. There are mulitple good restaurants in the immediate area...not any I would recommend walking to though..very very busy traffic around the hotel. There is a Teds Montana Grill, PF Changs, Tilted Kilt...lots of choices.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Hampton Inn Atlanta - Cumberland Mall / NW
Residence Inn Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Cumberland / Galleria
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Cumberland Mall

Been to Courtyard Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria? Share your experiences!