“Only had putrid smoke smelling rooms available during my stay”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria
Ranked #49 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Austin, Texas
“Only had putrid smoke smelling rooms available during my stay”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Only had putrid smoke smelling rooms available during my stay.
Only had rooms in a smoking floor.. maybe they should make some more rooms non-smoking if they are running out of them.
My room reeked of putrid smoke. The next day my suit and even my laptop (which I never took out of the bag, smelled like smoke). The smell lingered for the rest of my 4 day trip in the greater ATL area.
Stay away if you don't like to smell like a skunk for days.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank albe4sure
Debbie W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you albe4sure for your review of your stay with us in January. I do apologize for the delay in responding to your review and concerns.

While we do our best in accommodating various requests, during times of limited availability and high occupancy periods there may be limitation on being able to relocate guests to another guest suite.

We appreciate you as a guest and work to best accommodate you as a guest during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We traveled to Atlanta for a funeral and chose this hotel because we felt that you could not go wrong with a Hilton brand and the photos online were beautiful. Well to our surprise, the hotel needs a makeover. It has a horrible pint job and looks like they are not putting in the money to keep the hotel up to par. The room was old too with holes in the lampshades and the tub is so 1970's with stains and mold. The day of the funeral we were gone all day only to come back to a room that had not been serviced. Just an awful experience. When visiting Atlanta again, we won't be staying there.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

My husband I went down to for his twenty second birthday. That might have been our first mistake. But on the website it said nothing about us having to be over the age of 25 anywhere on the site. If I had known that I wouldn't have prepayed for our reservations. When they got there at 3:00 the desk manger was hard to work with. she canceled our reservations and said it would get our refund as soon as our bank would allow it (by the way that was the next day) leaving us stranded in Atlanta with out a place to say. Then there where two young men behind us who where 23, and they were not turned away. Because of this I will never being staying at another doubletree again.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel during the holiday season. Room was full of moisture and generally grimy. We discovered what seemed to be mold in the bathroom that freaked us out. Service was attentive and personnel went out of their way to help us. We changed hotels the next day. Despite hardworking staff, this is not what we have come to expect from a Hilton Chain Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last 2 years. Never had any problems in the past, but I noticed a definite focus on customer service during this stay. Everyone employee I saw during my stay from the front desk staff to maintenance and housekeeping people I passed in the hallway all went out their way to inquire how my stay was. I also like the layout of the rooms at this hotel - true 2 room suites with separate sleeping and living room areas. Very roomy, clean and upgraded bathroom areas. I am a Hilton Diamond member and I like this better than any of the Hilton properties in the Cobb Pkwy/I-285 area. As a reference I have also stayed at the neighboring Embassy Suites (Ok, but nothing special) and the Homewood Suites (weird layout, older and musty).

Room Tip: Some rooms have interior facing balconies that look into the Atrium. The outer facing rooms have w...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Although we stay at this hotel several times a year when we have early flights out of Atlanta, we will not be back. Upon checking in on the night of December 22nd, the front desk receptionist, Shevy, was friendly and helpful and we inquired about what time the breakfast buffet started in the morning. She apologized for having to check, being new at that property, and told us it started at 6am. We had to leave for the airport at 7am so this was perfect and we upgraded to the bed and breakfast deal. Upon arriving in the room we noticed the black stains on the arms of the sofa and red stains all over the carpet, not really a deal breaker but disturbing none the less After going out to eat (we considered room service but a $12 hamburger is really $14.88 when 24% gratuity is automatically added to the bill) we settled the kids for the night. When we removed the cushions from the sofa bed we were offered a fine assortment of confetti and doritos, yes i specify doritos because the pieces were big enough to identify without getting close. After deciding that a few doritos on the floor were better than the cranky kids we would have had in the morning if we decided to change rooms we all went to bed. Then the room heater kicked on and in my groggy state I was trying to remember when we changed to a hotel closer to the airport. The next morning we got up packed and went down to the lobby for breakfast. After standing there for about 5 minutes the front desk receptionist informed us breakfast didn't start until 7. In out stupor we stammered that we were told 6 the night before. She kindly informed us "You are welcome to come back at 7." I suppose we were since we were paying guests. My husband said to her that we had to leave for the airport at 7, could we have a refund for the breakfasts we paid for. This elicited a smile and a shrug. In disbelief, we got out stuff from the room to leave. My husband stopped at the front desk to make sure our account was settled as he doesn't like surprises, and all this got was a piece of paper handed to him no conversation, when he asked for a pen to sign the bill, the reply was: "Oh you don't have to sign I just thought you might like a copy." No Thank you's, Sorry's or anything but smug smiles and boredom from this person. While we have never received service this bad at this location, we will not return, there are far to many other hotels in the Atlanta area to warrant even the chance this will happen again, and I have 4 expired breakfast buffet vouchers to remind me of the reason.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
weston-s-mare
Reviewed 3 November 2012

This is my favourite hotel in Atlanta! The central courtyard bit really gives a feeling of space, the staff are very friendly and attentive, i even had a bottle of champagne served to me in the bath tub! The visitor photos do not do the tubs justice, they are huge! I reckon you could fit 4 people in them if you felt that way inclined. the rooms are clean and bright and spacious, if i remember rightly it was about 100 dollars a night for a decent sized suite and i adore the cookies that they leave on the bed in the morning. i also found the bar pretty well stocked, i can remember (the first couple of hours anyway) drinking some really quite decent single malts in the bar.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yabberuk
Debbie W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the DoubleTree Suites Atlanta Galleria. It is really nice knowing you stay with us whenever you come to the Cobb Galleria Cobb County area of Atlanta. Yes, the jacuzzi tubs are quite huge and very relaxing at the end of the day. We try very hard to stock our Edge Bar with the brands that guest seem to prefer and enjoy so I am happy you were satisfied.

The cookies, yes the cookies are fabulous and very addictive but worth every calorie. Again, thank you for the review and we look forward to your returning to the DoubleTree Suites Atlanta Galleria on your next trip to Atlanta. Thank you for being a loyal guest.

Happy Holidays!

Yours in Hospitality,
Debbie Wells
Director of Sales
DoubleTree Suites Atlanta Galleria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Galleria
Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta Galleria Center
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Galleria
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Residence Inn Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria? Share your experiences!