“Budget Gem that is close to major attractions and has a bed and breakfast feel because of the friendly staff!”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #122 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 31 March 2011

We just got back from four days in Atlanta, where we stayed at the Quality Hotel downtown. I was a bit skeptical when I booked, because the price was so reasonable for downtown Atlanta. The location is within walking distance of Peachtree Street (downtown), the Georgia Aquarium, The World of Coca Cola, CNN tours and Centennial Park, to mention some of the top sights.

Midtown is a short distance and very easily accessible. There are a large number of tourist attractions in that part of the city as well.Traffic in Atlanta is not a problem at all, unless you choose to drive during the morning or evening rush hour, and even then, not a major problem, just slower. We recommend a GPS because of the one-way streets and lack of a grid system. We used our car to access those sites which are not within walking distance but nearby, such as The Fox Theater, The Botanical Gardens, The Atlanta Cyclorama, The Fernbach Museum of Natural History, etc. The hotel was well positioned for us to drive to Midtown Atlanta.

The rooms are clean, the breakfast well done, and the staff exceptional. The manager, Bill Moore is very hands on, and is very visible. To quote him: "We deal with people. not paper."

The parking lot is across the street, very convenient, with unlimited in/out service. The parking is a reasonable $10.00 per day. (The street is one-way, and very narrow, so it was not a problem to cross to the ramp.) I was glad to see that the parking ramp was completely locked at night, and yet could be accessed easily with your key pass at any time. I should mention that the hotel's neighborhood is fine. The locked place to keep the car is a precaution in a very large city. We were out and about at night and had no issues. There is a good police presence in the city, which is usual for large cities, especially in some areas.

Staff was helpful and friendly. They took time to answer questions, give suggestions, and gave us information about the various sections of the city. We especially liked the recliner in the room, after a day filled with sightseeing. It was a great place to relax. Restaurants are nearby, with a great variety. They are within a short walk.

For a budget traveler, looking for a quiet, restful place to stay downtown, I would doubt that there is a better place. We were very satisfied with the accommodations. There was a refrigerator in the room. Bathrooms are compact.

Room Tip: Avoid weeks when conventions push the price up.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

funwowtrip,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

There are newer reviews for Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown

Reviewed 26 March 2011

The location is the only thing positive about this place. The room was old, completely out-dated and creepy. The retro thermostat was obviously set to not cool the room. Mildewed tiles on the bathroom wall, obvious stains on the sides of the mattresses; stained towels--etc. I could keep going. If everything else had not been sold out, I wouldn't have taken a chance. I seriously laid in bed and wondered if bed bugs would attack during the night. If you are used to nicer hotels, I promise you will not be pleased with this place!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seasonedtravel075
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

seasonedtravel075,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2011

This hotel was very conveniently located to the Georgia Dome. The hotel furniture was outdated, but the service was excellent. The breakfast buffet was also unbeatable. Plenty of hot good food, and spacious dining area. Parking was also close, easy, and convenient.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

keleighst,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff, and were able to take advantage of and enjoyed our breakfast options. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. We do love our location downtown and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our proximity to local attractions. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

The staff is absolutely wonderful. They go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. They have a nice variety of items for breakfast and the rooms are comfortable as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Teresaj12595,

Reviewed 16 March 2011

Stayed at hotel for several days for conference and accidentally left office keys, car keys and house keys in desk drawer.

Staff was terrific in tracking them down, securing them and assisting me in getting them shipped back.

Very special thank you to GM Bill Moore!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Professor7714,

Reviewed 3 March 2011

The hotel is well-kept and the staff is most helpful. The location is good for the Capitol and downtown. Parking is convenient just across a quiet street. The price for the location is exceptional. If you like the feeling of an old, but grand and well kept, building, you will like this hotel. It is not old in the sense of quality, but in the sense of grand old buildings that are part of the Atlanta heritage. The management was especially friendly and helpful; the hotel manager even helped me carry some items to my car across the street when I checked out. This was my second stay, and I will return.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Roscoe35394,

Reviewed 2 March 2011

We came with a group of 23 Interenational Military Officers from 18 different countries. Erica did an amazing job setting us up with all of our room keys ready. Chata welcomed our group with the utmost hospitality. The staff at this hotel was very welcoming and accomodating. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business