“Old, dirty, not too pricy”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #121 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just stayed here Feb '12. Not a horrible place for the $. I paid $85 for the room and it's right in downtown atlanta next to the marriot. Usually the location at lone would command $100 minimum per night. Parking was confusing. i don't like to pay for valet so I opted to park my car alone when I pulled up, and about 100ft down the street from the main entrance is a parking garage in the same bldg, so I parked there ($15 a day). Upon walking to the desk to check in I was informed their parking garage is cheaper, but it's located caddy corner across the st to the hotel (weird?). The desk clerk tried to convince me to go get my car from where it was parked and pull it into their garage - again, weird. I was put on the 9th floor (elevator is pretty shoddy - as soon as it stops at a floor the doors immediately open and shut to keep going, be careful). The room wasn't too bad. Decent size. Old tv, pretty visually unappealing. Bathroom was full of hairs, everywhere. Also there was a bucket under the sink to deal with a leaking pipe. I'm usually low maintenance and don't mind the occasional spot or hair, but this room just felt really dirty and gross. The bed was the worst part. Although it was a king, it was horribly uncomfortable. Worst back pain of my life in the morning.

Fitness center is a joke. Although spacious, it has a treadmill and a bike, and a multi gym weight tower in the middle, that is in awful condition and all of the cables are broken. I didn't even bother working out there. Breakfast was modest. Literally ice cold pastries, watered down juices, do it yourself waffles, and reconstituted eggs. Breakfast starts at 6 and I got there at 6:30, and a kid that apparently worked there (no id/uniform) was scrambling to set everything up - I'm guessing he was late for work. Other people he was hanging out with and eating with (other employees or his friends?) were also there chatting and having a good time. Very strange, I don't think they were guests, and I think it is inappropriate for the employees to be eating breakfast with guests.

Again, for the price I'm really not complaining, you get what you pay for. Location isn't too bad either. Had I paid more of this was a more prestigious brand hotel, I'd be writing a letter to the CEO.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank shaunbsc
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

shaunbsc,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I booked my whole family to stay at the convenient downtown Atlanta. They could not spend one night there, as the rooms had NO A/C. it was January, and the temperature was on the 70's outside, so inside it was just the heater working, or nothing. No windows to open (FIRE ESCAPE HAZARD!). The water in shower was YELLOW!. Smelled bad, probably because of poor air circulation. Still trying to get my money back from my pre-paid book arrangements, plus parking. Nightmare for my family...

Room Tip: Moved to Wingate by Wyndham - Kennesaw. Far from Downtown, but good quality, large rooms, good break...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank karol_monteiro
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

karol_monteiro,

Reviewed 11 December 2011

This was our second visit to this hotel in 2 years' time and it was just as wonderful as the first! Although this hotel is older, the lobby, rooms, etc. are clean and well kept. The staff is over the top friendly,helpful and treat you as a special friend every time you walk in the door. The rooms we have had their, both an interior and streetside, have both been very quiet with wonderful views on each side. The rates are reasonable and self park is available for $15/day right across the street. There is a pub and a great little restaurant within the next block and it is about a 15 minute walk to the Georgia Dome. This will always be our "hotel of choice" when we visit Atlanta!

Room Tip: The Poplar side is a bit quieter than the Luckie Street side, but considering you are in the heart o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank imayankee1952

imayankee1952,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 10 December 2011

The staff at the Quality Inn are superb! Terri is very friendly and interesting. She has a lot of local knowledge tht was helpful to us when we were traveling the city. She gave us good recommendations on where to eat, site see, and hang out. The rooms were decent. The morning breakfast is delish. Overall, we had a good time.

• Stayed: September 2011

vigiliant8,

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Why is this hotel even in the mist of downtown Atlanta within conglomerate hotels? It needs MAJOR renovations. The elevator was so rickety I thought I was riding for dear life! It was just ugggghhh nasty! The patio door was hard to open, they don't have any snack machines, and the beds look like they got off the streets! I was really scared to stay here and I'm checking out today! It needs to be torn down and rebuilt!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Emma L,

Reviewed 14 October 2011

We enjoyed our recent trip into Atlanta especially due to the convenience of our Quality Hotel within walking distance to all of the BIG things to see in Atlanta. The Hotel was VERY clean, comfortable, and the staff was professional and helpful with the entire stay. I would recommend the Quality Hotel to anyone that wants to stay within the downtown area at a great value, friendly staff, clean hotel and excellent morning breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

dsmcar,

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Don't go to this hotel if you want to stay in downtown Atlanta. The room I had was nasty and had running water in the bath tub. I mean not a drip....running water and they said they couldn't fix it. Our view was literally of a BRICK WALL. They don't have a service elevator so we had to ride down with a worker carrying very stinky trash. I was not even asked how my stay was and when I got home to check my online banking, I found out they charged me more for the room than what was on my receipt. I will be contacting the BBB on this place. It was AWFUL!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family