“Good location at the right price”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #121 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I selected this hotel due to the proximity of the Phillips Arena, costs and Trip Advisor reviews.

First, you there is a lot of road construction around the hotel, which made it difficult to finally arrive and check in. Check in was smooth and Chata was very helpful with showing me the parking area. Then we got to our room and it wasn’t cleaned, my wife complained and we were then sent to another room. Rooms are very old and dated and when we turned on the water faucet, the pipes creaked and it took a minute for the water to get to the 9th floor.

The Pros are the women behind the desk and at the breakfast area. The ladies who run this hotel are awesome and as the “People are awesome” review states below, they will help you in directions and helpful hints to see in the city. This is a budget hotel for people on a budget who don’t stay in their hotel all day long watching the local CNN news and would I stay again for one night for $70, YES

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Jimb2000,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff, and were able to take advantage of and enjoyed our breakfast options. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. We do love our location downtown and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our proximity to local attractions. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Chose to stay here due to close proximity to The Tabernacle, for a concert at the end of September.
The front parking area, where guests usually park to check-in, was blocked by employee vehicles and friends of employees visiting in lobby. This hotel is a smoking permitted location, so the smell of cigarettes is very evident when entering the premises. When we finally checked in, the TV was on in our room, there were no pillow cases on the pillows, there was a dirty washcloth & hand towel ONLY in bathroom. Hair in tub, walls, bathroom floor, bedspread had multiple cigarette burn holes in it, the carpet had holes in it. Requested pillow cases and towels, was told that they weren't done cleaning all the rooms yet. Returned 4+ hours later to pillowcases only, went downstairs and asked for towels again and got them, while being told they were short handed that day. When we checked out the following morning, 2 of the vehicles blocking the pull through area were still parked there. It was hard to stomach paying over $100 total (including parking) for the room and having such a poor experience.

I understand that mistakes occur, we're all human, however short staffed or not, the customer shouldn't be the one bearing the brunt of it. Especially since the customer is still paying for their stay regardless of how many people come to work or not and if they weren't done cleaning the rooms, then we shouldn't have been checked in to one that wasn't ready. Not sure if those statements were true or they were trying to make the situation "better" with a reason.
The location is fantastic for activities downtown, however I could pay less money to drive 15 minutes away and stay somewhere that I wasn't afraid of showering at. I did not have a great experience, I did submit a review to the hotel and just heard from them this week with the canned; sorry it wasn't great and we hope you'll give us another chance...which isn't going to happen.

Room Tip: Hotel allows smoking so it all smells of cigarettes, but they do have "non-smoking" floors...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank misheda
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

misheda,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future. Maybe one day in the future we'll get the chance to make it right.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The ladies who run this hotel are awesome. They are more than willing to help you throughout both day and night. They are very friendly and offer good advice on where to go if you're new to the area. The location of the hotel is great if you want to explore the city. Simply walking through the streets from place to place is easy at this location. For me the most surprising aspect of this hotel was the continental breakfast. Zindi, one of the ladies over the breakfast, is very kind and welcoming and makes you feel right at home while eating. As for the food, both the variety and quality passed my expectations of the complementary breakfast. This is by far the best free breakfast I have received from any hotel yet. For the price this hotel exceeds in its expectation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

John B,

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've never enjoyed a hotel and it's staff the way I did here. Ms.Greta u and ur staff were great and it was sad to leave. I recommend this hotel 100% and make sure when u stay.. Ask about those fresh baked cookies... But knowing these guys... They will be delivering them to u personally! SUPERB SUPERB SUPERB!

• Stayed: October 2013

Aries-Luv-Dupree,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The staff was great! They made me feel at home. The room was clean and breakfast was convenient. The decor is outdated but I didn't spend a lot of time admiring the furniture. Also, I wish that they updated the equipment in the gym. It would have been nice to get in some cardio.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Ernest D,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

There was some bad-lookunbg stains on the carpet, but the sheets were clean and so was the bathroom. Water pressure was sllightly harder than rain. Extremely frienly staff, but a little dizzy; they forgot to place my wakeup call and sent me to the wrong place for my conference. Good thing I am always early, so there was no real harm done.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Margolainen,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. We do love our location downtown and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our proximity to local attractions. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We´ve stayed only for one night and had nothing to complain! The room was clean and had everything we needed, only the water pressure was very low.
They had a very good breakfast, almost everything you need and the staff was very friendly.
We had to park our car in the parking garage on the other side of the street and got our ticket validated by the hotel staff without paying the 15$, maybe that´s because of the construction area in front of the hotel. Also at night they didn`t stop working on the streets and in the buildings around.
The location is perfect for exploring Atlanta by feet. You could walk to the World of Coca Cola, the Centenniel Olympic Park, CNN ....
Would stay there again!