“Perfect for business travel in Atlanta”

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown
Ranked #41 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Savannah, Georgia
“Perfect for business travel in Atlanta”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I regularly (monthly) stay at this Hampton Inn for work purposes since my office is in downtown Atlanta. I would rather stay here than at the Marriott or Hiltons nearby as I am not nickled and dimed. For example, the warm breakfast and wifi is free - regardless of your membership status. I also appreciate the security of the hotel - exterior doors are locked at night. There is no restaurant in the hotel but there are plenty nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SouthernPinesSarah
161HamptonGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear SouthernPineSarah,

Thank you for taking time and effort to post a wonderful review about your recent stay here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

I’m so glad you stay with us on a regular basis and find our hotel safe and secure.

Looking forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Andrew May – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Columbus, GA
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The hotel is a Hampton Inn in an old converted building downtown. I have stayed in Hampton Inn properties in many states and this one would be rated low in comparison. Nostalgia aside, this is an old building with paper thin walls and tiny rooms. This hotel raises their rates up to $250 a night for their worst rooms during events such as market. My wife was under the assumption the Hampton was the Marriott located right next door and even pulled up to the Marriott mistakenly to check in. She seemed very disappointed when she realized her mistake, especially after being put in their worst room even as a Diamond member of Hilton.

If you read nothing else, my advice is that you can stay at many top level hotels for the same or a bit more (at a $250 rate). This is a $90 a night hotel at best based on my experience with this chain. Most frequent travelers I assume will not be happy being gouged at this location. Even at $90, you will wish you paid a bit more to stay elsewhere. In fact at that price, there are great finds a short distance from here, but you will have to take a taxi or subway or drive and park.

My wife booked this for it's location to the Market. Be aware that when booking on their site, the prices may vary for different nights of your stay. It is very convenient to Market.

We were in two rooms. We were moved to a larger room, which barely fit a queen bed desk and dresser. The picture on the Hampton web site is cleverly taken of this room and you should imagine walls where the picture of the bed is cropped. The room is tiny! The bathroom was about 1/3 the size of the room. The entry takes up alot of room. The size of these rooms is something you would expect in NY, but not in Atlanta. Be careful in the bathroom as steam will moisten the floor and it becomes dangerously slick. There is no refrigerator or microwave in the standard rooms. I believe they have these in the suites. The walls and windows do not block sounds. You will be woken early in the morning by slamming doors and talking in the halls. You will hear traffic and horns and drunks and everything outside the hotel and it may wake you. You will hear everything and anyone in the halls will hear you. Maids start early and you must put a do not disturb sign out. However, you will probably be awaken by the time they start, but you don't want them walking in on you.

The breakfast is the same low quality processed cruddy food you will find at any Hampton Inn. I read reviews where I was lead to believe the breakfast could be different. It is nothing special and many Hampton Inns do breakfast better (same basic stuff but little better selection). I have been to a couple Hampton Inn hotels that do it worse. Food comes in frozen and pre-made and then re-heated and it looks and tastes processed. Don't waste your calorie intake on this stuff, especially if you are on vacation.

Parking is convenient but when checking in there is no way to get into the lot. You have to find a place to park and then go in and get access to the lot before you can park your car. It is a pain in the but. It costs extra to park. The self park is less than most places around the hotel and less than other hotels and I would recommend using their lot. It will fill up and I don't know what happens when it is full. I did not see any cameras or patrol of the lot and there are signs saying they are not responsible for your car. Getting luggage in requires a long walk around the building from the lot. Get a cart and go out the front door and around. If you come in late you will be cursing trying to get in, get your luggage and get up to your tiny little room.

Internet is free which is a standard at all Hampton Inn hotels. TV is a digital service with a couple hundred choices and difficult to maneuver. Air conditioning during 100 F days works well. Our room had not been smoked in.

If you can get this for less than $100, I'd say it would be an OK choice, but why would you when there are so many other better hotels for not much more. Many other hotels right in the area which are better insulated and offer larger rooms. If you don't mind being gouged during special events, need the convenience of this location, don't need a quiet environment, don't need a fridge or microwave, then this is an adequate choice.

If you are a diamond member at Hilton my experience was it is not worth a cent at this place. Cookies at night are rare and go quick. Cookies quality is the same as breakfast food.

Looking to eat in walking distance? There are a few very good choices. Try Ray's. Teds Montana was packed, but if you walk about 2 to 3 blocks past Teds there are a couple great restaurants without the long wait. There is Thrive and across the street there is Glenn's Kitchen. There is also the nearby Peasant Bistro, but at the time of this review they were not at the top of their game. All these are in walking distance. Two adults and a baby in a stroller felt safe in this typical downtown Atlanta area and while walking we were passed by patrol officers on segways.

Room Tip: All rooms are going to be noisy and tiny. Suites will be larger and have a fridge and microwave. B...
1 Thank Stompper
Dear Stompper,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about your recent experience here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

I am sorry you felt our rooms were too small. As you pointed out, we are in a unique building that was built circa 1928. Some of the uniqueness is the many different room lay-outs in our configuration with some being bigger then others.

Our rates vary depending on the demand in the city. We structure them to our market and in line with our competitors. While hotels even charge for WIFI and Breakfast, we do not.

If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to call my at 404-589-1111

I hope that you will reconsider your decision to stay with us again.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The rooms were nice and the free breakfast every morning was a PLUS! The room service would come later in the day than I could prefer, and by later I mean around 4 or 5, so by that time we would be trying to relax from our busy day out and about. Other than that the hotel was in a great location. We walked everywhere (CNN, World of Coca Cola, Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Park). The staff was very friendly. No pool though :(

Room Tip: corner rooms are always great! ;)
1 Thank desiree h
161HamptonGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Desiree H,

My apologies for not having your room cleaned earlier in the day for you. We try and accommodate requests to work around business meetings or sightseeing schedules.

I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast provided to all our guests.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Parkland, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Yes, the location is excellent...as others have said-close to everything. I don't know if all (or most) of the rooms were like ours but......it could have been the smallest hotel room we have ever stayed in-OK, that may not be something you can avoid in downtown locations but: as Hilton Honors Diamond members, we had noted that there were 3 of us to be in that room. Only accomodations for 2 were present. We had to call for more towels, an extra bed, etc. and they were provided in a timely manner. The musty smell in the room was almost intolerable. The desk "help" said they were fully booked and we couldn't be moved--even for the 2nd night. Oh, well. Sadly, the next time we stay in Atlanta, it will be in another hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and could still hear alot of outside (downtown) noise. If staying here, be...
4 Thank Socrafty
Dear Socrafty,

My apologies, I am sorry you were unhappy about your room accommodation. We made sure the room type booked on the reservation was honored. If availability warrants, we make every effort to honor requests for room type upgrades, especially to Hilton Hhonors Diamond members. However, because of the multiple sell-outs that occurred during your stay, we did not have any ability to honor room change requests.

If you would like to discuss further please feel free to call my at 404-589-1111

I hope that you will reconsider your decision to stay with us again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed here after visiting the coca cola factory. Great position, close to everything. The bed was so comfortable and the reception staff had a handy leaflet showing us where to eat. Staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast as you would expect. Would definitely stay here again for its proximity to everything.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annieimac
, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Annieimac,

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be convenient to everything downtown.

Looking forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2012

A friend and I took a sightseeing trip to Atlanta last month and we stayed here. It was a very enjoyable stay and I would book this hotel again. It has a very convenient location, within walking distance to many points of interest and the Peachtree Center MARTA station is just 2 blocks away. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The complimentary breakfast was nice. The room price was very reasonable compared to other downtown hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 302FlaTraveler
, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear 302FlaTraveler,

I’m so glad you enjoyed your sightseeing trip to Atlanta. Thank you for pointing out our convenient location to MARTA . My team takes great pride in exceeding guest expectations, so I will share your feedback with the staff.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed one night for a concert! The location is walking distance to everything, coca cola factory, aquarium, tabernacle, philips arena, marta stations etc!
Although this is not the finest Hampton ive ever stayed at and the breakfast selection wasnt the largest I must say it had the comfiest bed Ive ever slept in within a hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Swimfan93
, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Swimfan93,

Thank you for taking a few minutes to post a review about your recent stay here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient to the concert venue along with other city’s attractions.

Please come back and stay with us soon!