“Underwhelming”

Ranked #87 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I am a frequent Marriott customer, staying 4-5 times per year for pleasure and/or business trips. Courtyards are generally well kept, efficient and great for short business trips. The Buckhead location is convenient to lots of local restaurants and other hotels (it's basically a city of hotel towers). It has a decent lobby that looks to be renovated recently. Bar stays open till 11am and you get get food till 10pm. There is no free breakfast, but they do have Starbucks coffee, fruit, bagels, etc. for purchase.

The parking lot was full, but they gave me a validated voucher for the lot across the street. However there was no bellhop to help with any luggage.

My room on the 10th floor smelled like it was smokers room and was decorated like it was the late 90's. There were no ashtrays or anything, but it had definitely been a smoking room until recently. I could also clearly hear the TV in the room next to me.

Okay for a one or two night stay on business, but would never stay here for vacation or an extended period. For $222.00 per night, you can do better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Georgia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I haven't much experience with Atlanta area accommodations, so I guess the pricing may have been competitive. However, $190 bucks a night with parking $20 a night extra, and not even a piece of fruit in the morning seems a little harsh to me. The listing for the room said there was a microwave, but there was a refrigerator instead. That was welcome, but could have used the microwave. The shower was excellent. The television was difficult to operate, and took an inordinate amount of time to change channels. Book in room with channel listings did not agree with what the TV actually tuned in. Still, within healthy walking distance of lots of overpriced shopping, if that is your desire. Sheets were mostly clean, but not completely, and this is upsetting at this price. Also, I understand that at your little "convenience" store in the lobby the pricing is going to be high. I accept this, but I don't expect stale candy bars for $2.

Room Tip: Ask for one not near either the ice machines of the elevators. Noise from these two a factor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hornbender
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here in September while attending a wedding.

The front desk staff is superb. After a fairly miserable day of travel (flat tire on the way in, running late, etc.) the front desk staff went out of their way to make our stay memorable. They recognized my Elite status with Marriott and upgraded our parking and our room.

The rooms were very clean and very comfortable.

The only thing that was not excellent about this stay: both mornings the coffee downstairs kept running out and, on Sunday, it took a while for them to refill (which led to my wife visiting the on-site Starbucks).

We will definitely stay here again when in Atlanta.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I booked a night through Priceline and upon arriving to check in Albert Odoms, the Front desk supervisor asked to see my ID and a credit card for incidentals. I provided both and asked if he was planning to simply put the card on file or whether he was Charging me an additional fee. He stated he was authorizing a $100 charge (it's a debit card, so effectively this is a $100 fee to use the reservation that I already paid for through Priceline). I made it clear that I would like them to restrict Pay Per View, turn off the phone and they don't even have room service, so the card would not be necessary as I was not going to incur any incidentals. I have never had a hotel give me problems with this, until now. Mr. Odoms was unapologetic and unwilling to do anything to help. He just kept insisting that Priceline should have informed me that I had to put a credit card on file for incidentals. (BUT NO WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT I HAVE TO HAVE $100 AVAILABLE FOR ANOTHER CHARGE)

Kevin at Marriott reservations called the property to see if they could broker a solution, but they returned to inform me that he (Mr. Odoms) was not going to waive it. Obviously if this was a corporate policy set in stone then they would not have even bothered to call and ask him - he was just not willing to work with me, because I was told it was something he could do if he chose to.

So now, I'm sitting in the lobby, unable to check in to the room I already paid for and the local management is doing nothing to assist or help in any way.

Priceline was going to assist me in getting a refund because they agreed that there was NO requirement to have $100 charged, only a statement that a card needed to on file to handle any incidentals. When Priceline called, Mr. Odoms even refused to cancel and refund my reservation and also stated that if I was planning on taking the room, I needed to hurry up because they would not hold it much longer.

So now, not only were they going to keep my money for a room I couldn't even access, he was anticipating being able to sell it to someone else right out from under me and get paid twice for the same room.

I was eventually able to get a family member to come down here and present a credit card so that I could check in. This is my second very negative experience with Marriott hotels recently. The hotel was clean, the rooms are very small and the location is great, But, all of that is completely negated by the poor customer service and their practice of billing you for twice the amount you already paid priceline. That makes a room that was originally $52 cost you $180 by the time you are said and done (taxes and fees + the deposit). Of course I'll get $100 back eventually (they say four days after you check out, but in the case of a prepaid card like I have, I know that can be 15 or 20 days in most cases) If you are traveling a good bit, this can add up to alot of money tied up. Unless you can risk paying for a reservation and possibly losing the money and not being able to stay there, don't even book it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Scott S
Humble, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My dad and I stayed at this hotel for Memorial day weekend. At first we were nervous because the hotel was by the airport but we could not hear the planes coming or going in our room. We had a very good nights stay. I was pregnant at the time and the bed was very comfortable. It was a great price, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the our room was clean. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Forsyth, Georgia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I read the previous reviews and was concerned about the parking and quality of this hotel. I was very pleased with everything despite what I had read. The check-in was quick, and Tony was informative and friendly. Welcomed with a bottle of water and clear instruction for parking. The parking garage is right next to the hotel. And I mean close - not a block away. It was very, very convenient. They have a shuttle service for any radius of 3 miles. Also, you do have a $20 parking fee per day - but it is Atlanta. You can't go anywhere in Atlanta that you do not have to pay practically. Come and go as you please for one fee a day. The restaurants within walking distance F2O, Maggianos, and Corner Bakery were all wonderful. We had a light out in our room and our bath drain was very slow. I reported it the next morning, they apologized and it was fixed before we came back that afternoon. We were one room down from the elevator and had no problem with noise. The thing is - you are going to encounter things when you travel. It may rain, you may have a light bulb out; seriously, everything is not the hotel's fault. It is the way things are handled and the communication. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and look forward to seeing my friend Tony. (And the morning complimentary coffee tasted just fine!!!!)

Room Tip: We stayed on top floor - no one above to make any noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank amygram
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The location of this courtyard is outstanding. Walking distance to many attractions in Buckhead. The staff was very nice. The room however was musty/damp smelling. Also, you have to pay $20 for parking each night. If you want buckhead location this is the place to stay but if you aren't locked into buckhead I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple