“Crummy hotel in a crummy location”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #66 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Washington, DC
“Crummy hotel in a crummy location”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This hotel is a disgrace to its brand. My room was in serious need of renovation - cigarette burns on the carpet and a window sill (in a no-smoking property!), saggy bed, chips on furniture that looked like it might have been new in the '70s - the 1870s, that is. And plastic cups in a W? Really?? So much for a premium brand. The location of this property is also extremely inconvenient. You can see the Lenox Square mall from the property, but as they say in Maine, you can't get there from here - there's no road that goes directly from the hotel to the mall so you have to walk well out of your way. And forget about a taxi - the hotel entrance is off the street on a service road, so you'll find no cabs waiting - the hotel will have to get one for you.

This place was a big disappointment, and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
GaNavy - Needless to say, I was disappointed to read your review. While I've never heard of our location being a disappointment (as we are on Peachtree Rd. in the center of Buckhead's shopping and dining district), I was very disheartened to learn of the condition of your room. I would like to look into your reservation and room specifically to remedy those issues and ask that if you would like to volunteer that information please email me at gmmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com and I'll be happy to take care of the aforementioned. Thank you for your time. Warm Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Well, hey there, W Buckhead. You know what would be great? Having correct directions to your hotel on the email link you sent to me when you confirmed my reservation. You know what would be even better? Having a staff member named Jerry who doesn't argue with me and tell me he doesn't know where I am when I call the hotel from a location where your incorrect directions sent me. We finally got to the hotel after I spoke with a much more apologetic Hazel, but it added an extra 40 minutes to our four hour drive.

The W itself is simultaneously homey and swanky, and is staffed by what look like models who are between photo shoots. Everyone is young and affable, aside from Jerry. Shabby chic art on the room walls and retro wallpaper, paint colors and contemporary furniture evoke a sort of cosmopolitan retro "Mad Men" vibe, with a a sexual undertone.

The swank and the beautiful people can't are nice, and though the rooms are on the smaller side, I found them to be plenty large enough for two adults. However, I wouldn't suggest rooming in the W Buckhead with someone with whom you aren't completely comfortable, as there is no separation between the rooms on floors eight and below, and the pocket bathroom bathroom doors are translucent when the lights are on. Read: there is zero privacy for a potty break or a shower. Our pocket door was actually broken off of the track, not that it really mattered from a privacy standpoint. On floors higher than eight, the rooms have a separate bathroom, but be careful, there are translucent doors and windows in those, too. Keep the lights off if you want some privacy.

The showers are full of design flaws; there are no doors or curtains, which inevitably leads to a pond on the floor and a wet toilet. In addition, one has to step into the shower in order to turn it on, so you are sprayed with freezing or exceptionally hot water, and one must stand under the water to adjust the temperature.

Room service, of course, is ridiculously expensive, but it is saved by the fact that it is available 24/7, and the food is actually pretty good.

Overall, I liked the hotel, and had the directions and Jerry's attitude been correct, and my bathroom door not been broken, I would have added another star.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on floors 9-11. The bathrooms and showers are much bigger and nicer.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
tpoakes,

First, thank you for providing your feedback. Whether good, bad, or indifferent we want to know about the guest experience and how we can improve upon it. And certainly, you highlighted some areas of improvement from your recent stay, as well as some positive aspects. I want you to know that we are taking your review very seriously and will address the individuals and issues mentioned, as well as use it as a training example. I hope that we will have the opportunity to have you back again as our guest, so that we may provide you with a true and complete W experience. Warm Wishes
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We came to Atlanta on 7/15/2011 to attend the Charlie Wilson concert at Chastain Park and stayed at the "W" Hotel in Buckhead.Our check-in was fast,efficient and courteous!! The valet attendants were fast and polite.The hotel itself was clean and modern.The room was on the small side but very nicely appointed and comfortable.The bedding was clean and slept great!!!The bathroom was small and the design was disappointing and confusing to say the least!There isn't any privacy while using the bathroom,only a glass door that was not opaque.When taking a shower,water would be literally everywhere;due to the fact it only had one stationary glass door instead of two sliding doors;therefore you had no real containment of the shower over spray!!! In my opinion,if the things that were here-to-fore mentioned about the bathroom were improved upon;this truly would become a 4 to 5 star rated hotel! Overall,our stay at the "W" in Buckhead,Ga was great!! Oh,and one other thing for concert goers;Chastain Park is only a short distance from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Elijahdrumdog

Thanks so much for your review from your experience last week. I really appreciate your comments on the decor, cleanliness, and especially the staff (they'll be thrilled when they, too read your thoughts!). While I know our bathroom layouts aren't for everyone (we like to say, they're "avant-garde") we do have other options the next time you're in town, either for another Chastain concert or just an in-town escape. Hope to see you soon! Thanks again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I was only there for the weekend but it's a great hotel with great service and lovely ambiance. The room was very cool and relaxing. To top it up I left my camera at the hotel on my way back to London and the the wonderful concierge David-Michael Searcy drove all the way to the airport to make sure I got my camera. Wikid :)

Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
T007OSH - Thank you so much for your review - although you stayed with us briefly I'm glad to know it was long enough to cement our relationship as your Atlanta hotel. And I LOVE your story about David-Michael rescuing your camera and rushing it down to the airport - awesome!! Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Atlanta! Warm Wishes
tampa
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I traveled on a mix of business and family. My wife and two young children came along. Many of you probably know the W Hotel was not created to accommodate kids. But we didn't have many alternatives as a convention had booked the other similarly classed Buckhead hotels. We stayed 5 days.

The first night we had trouble with the room -- toilet water ran, shower didn't drain, phone dead. The W folks quickly remedies this and we began to see a pattern of outstanding service. Each time we summoned the desk for supplies, somebody arrive at our door within minutes. Downstairs in the lobby everyone know our name. A gentleman named Scott R., whose title is "w insider", was particularly helpful. He listened to our gripes from our first night and accommodated us with everything from a few supplementary meal tickets for the kids, to a an option to transfer next door to the Westin on day 3.

By day 3 we felt so accommodated by the staff at the W that we decided to stay. By day 5, we wouldn't have stayed anywhere else in Buckhead.

We also thought the breakfast was notable. As a business traveller I stay at lots of hotels, but the breakfast was particularly delicious and well presented. Everything was very fresh - from a variety of fruits to the steel cut oatmeal.

Room Tip: Construction on Peachtree Road. Stay in rooms with larger numbers (e.g. room 930, not 901)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
JDSchentr,

Thank you so much for your review and recommendation of the property. I'm glad to hear that despite some troubles, the staff (particularly Scott) and the "remarkable breakfast" were able to make you and your family comfortable, during your convention visit. I appreciate your comments and look forward to sharing them with the staff, as well as welcoming your family back again soon, now that you've found your new Buckhead home. See you soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2011

We arrived today for our 3pm check in to be told the room wasn't ready. We were given two drink tickets and asked to wait an hour. Felicia was so apologetic. After 1.5 hours we checked in though and No room yet. The front desk manager took complete ownership of the issue and personally went upstairs to get our room ready. She came back and we were given 4 more drink tickets as well as two free breakfasts at Market. Our room was amazing once we got in it. I love a room that you can set the ac to cold and it STAYS COLD. We had not been in the room fifteen minutes until e phone rang and we were asked if we would like a beer to help us relax after the stress. We said yes and made our selections. We were greeted by the amazing Hazel once again with a tray of beers water and snacks. Hazel even gave us restaurant and parking suggestions! We were then informed that we were being given a late checkout (6pm) so we could shop tomorrow and relax! All in all the beginning check in experience was concerning but thanks to the amazing Hazel and Felicia this will be the first place I look for on or next stay in Atlanta. Definitely go to Whiskey Blue just for one drink with your friends. The view is amazing!

• Stayed July 2011
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Foodbabyknox,

Thank you so much for your review and compliments of the staff - especially Felicia and Hazel! I'm so glad to hear that they made your stay comfortable and made up for where things didn't go exactly as planned (and as you can imagine, which is bound to happen from time to time). I look forward to sharing this review with the staff as a great example of being sincere and honest with our guests and as stated, "owning" the issue. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back for the total W experience! Warm Wishes
Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Great location. Beautiful pool. Unique rooms. Friendly service. I would definitely consider staying there again.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
MaryMIt!

You're right! We are THE place for girls weekends and we're so glad you had fun! We can't wait to welcome you and your girlfriends back again!!