“Nice but service lacking”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #70 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
North Crolina
“Nice but service lacking”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is a boutique hotel primarily catering to a younger crowd. The rooms are comfortable, if a bit small. The beds were very comfortable and there was a white noise machine which played seashore sounds - waves and birds. This made sleeping through most street noise easier. The hotel must be close to a fire station as there were several that passed by in the early AM.

The bathroom was not really a room, but an area separated by a sliding glass door. I assume this is to make the room appear a bit larger. I don't know if it was just our room, but the toilet took minutes to fill after use. There wasn't really a good place to hang extra wet towels. Robes were provided which is helpful if using the pool.

The elevators were slow and sometimes after waiting several minutes, one would arrive and be full. As we were on the second floor, we quickly learned to use the exit stairs when leaving - much quicker.

We had asked for a coffeemaker to be delivered to our room, but none ever was.

The location is convenient to MARTA,

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Stephen999123 - Thanks for your review and recapping your stay with us. We always want to know more about guest experiences whether good, bad or indifferent, to learn from and improve for future visits. I will pass this along to our operations teams for review and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to regain your confidence in W Atlanta - Buckhead. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime at GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com.

All the Best

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I am sitting in the W Buckhead right now as I write this...I booked this hotel for a conference. I showed up today with reservation confirmation in hand, and I was told that I was moved to a hotel near the airport due to overbooking. I showed up at 12pm and was told that they absolutely couldn't give me a room even though everyone in the loooonnnggg line behind me was able to get a room. There was no notification of the change - although they claim they tried calling and emailing several times last week, yet somehow, I received an email confirmation 2 days before the start of my stay reconfirming my reservation at this hotel. It took me an hour and a half to get to the hotel from the airport and then they tell me that they put me in a hotel at the airport without notification?! The issue is that the conference I am at has shuttles at select hotels in the area to transport you to the venue. The hotel they put me into would take at least 45 minutes on public transport which is completely unacceptable. I booked this hotel specifically because of the shuttle/location. They then said they could book me for tonight, but I would have to check out tomorrow. I was so frustrated, I took the night here in hopes to find another hotel, which took me over 3 hours to find because everything is sold out. I miraculously found another hotel for the next two nights that has a shuttle but it was twice the price of this hotel. it's insanely inconvienent because I have to now check out tomorrow, find transportation to the other hotel, etc.

The worst part about this situation is that there was no apologies, there was no sympathy or offer of something to make up for the mistake. I left because i couldnt check in right away and came back later to check in, and asked to speak to a manager to ensure the reservation they made for me at the airport was cancelled, and the desk clerk disappeared for 5 minutes and came back saying a manager was not available to come out - how convienent - but she was back there for 5 minutes? If no one is available, why was she back there so long?! They gave me her card and I have been trying to call for an hour and it's constantly busy.

Stay away from this place - the worst customer service I have ever had. Oh yeah, an added plus of the room- if you are staying with someone else, you should know there is no door on the bathroom so if you are shy....

1 Thank sian421
, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
sian421 - Thank you for your time and sharing your experience with us. You have shed some light not only on something we never want or intend for our guests but also on how we can better prepare, respond and follow up with our guests. Your particular story has spawned several meetings about how we can continually improve and deliver for every guest. I would like to sincerely apologize for the impact these encounters have had on your overall impression of W Atlanta - Buckhead. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com if you would like to discuss your reservation further.

Smyrna, GA
Reviewed 21 June 2012

General: There is construction going on around the hotel location on Peachtree Street so it's easy to miss if you don't know where you're going. The actual W sign sits way back off the view from the street. The parking is valet only and $7 for going to the lounge or $30 for overnight with in/out access.

We booked for a single night stay for a "staycation" and celebration for my sweetheart achieving his real estate broker's license. We received a room on the 11th floor, just one level below the rooftop bar and lounge. This was very convenient as we were meeting friends upstairs for drinks and to watch the Eastern Finals game 7 with the Celtics and Heat. This night was also the Pacquioa/Bradley title fight which I called ahead to confirm it would be showing for guests in the lounge. All in all, ready for a great night!

The dissapointment was that after the crowd from the NBA game dissapated, the lounge manager decided not to show the fight. This is after asking 3 hotel employees - called ahead, at check-in and again when I went to the bar around 8 pm. I had told my guests (drink paying patrons of the bar) the fight would be on so the bait and switch was a huge let down. Not to mention PayPer View access isn't available in guest rooms!!! This info wasn't shared until after the fight began and we we advised by the front desk to go down the street to Dantanna's (sports bar and grill). Overall, great night, cool room and accomodating to in/out of guests in our room due to the confusion surrounding the fight. I'd return but not to watch any t.v.!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
AzizMom - Thank you so much for your staycation review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here and we can expect a return visit from you. I am disappointed however, to learn of the confusion regarding viewing for the big fight. I have passed this along to the management of Whiskey Blue as well as our guest services team, to ensure we're aligned on fight nights and viewing any other sporting events that may be of interest.
Again, we're looking forward to seeing you again soon and should you need anything for another staycation, please feel free to email me directly at GMmarylouise.fitzgibbon@whotels.com

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I just checked out of this wonderful property! The location is great, easy access to everywhere driving, by taxi or by public transportation. The rooms are spectaculars, bed is very confortable, decor is amaizing. Service is unique look for David-Michael searcy at Concierge, He is awsome and very helpful.
My next visit to Talanta for sure I will be there again

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Davidnava - What a lovely review! Thank you! You've highlighted so many of our best features - location, service (boosted by concierge extraordinaire, David-Michael) and our decor, etc., etc. - THANK YOU! We can't wait for your return!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2012

On May 19th, I invited a group of twenty clients to your hotel for drinks on the outdoor patio. Upon arrival, I found that a section of the patio had been reserved for a private function. With disappointment, I inquired with Ernesto Barraza about other options. He suggested the upstairs lounge, but after visiting, it was not an appropriate atmosphere to host clients. Also, he recommended the living room, but a corporate event was being held there at the time. Again, I surveyed the available section of the patio where I originally hoped to meet. As I considered ways to arrange the furniture to make it comfortable for my clients and avoid interfering with the nearby private function, again I approached Mr. Barraza. To my surprise, not only did he grant me permission to move the furniture for my clients, he joined me on the patio to assist. My clients went on to have a wonderful evening relaxing on the patio while enjoying cocktails and great weather.
I have hosted clients at many venues in Atlanta, but I have never encountered such warm and accommodating hospitality. I do not overlook exceptional service.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Juwana - Thank you so much for your review. I'm thrilled to hear that Ernesto made your night special for you and your clients (even with a little rearranging). This is a great example of our Whatever/Whenever service - thank you for sharing and we can't wait to see you (and your colleagues) again soon!!!

Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This W has an amazing staff and customer service attitude first and foremost.

That being said, the hotel and the rooms feel old and used. In addition, the location is very close to everything but near enough to anything - if you understand my confusing statement. Basically, we could see a lot of places from our hotel but it was very difficult to get to any of them due to the situation of the hotel and road construction.

The rooftop bar is a big plus to the hotel.

All in all, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Man_from_Maplewood - Thanks for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed so much of our property, putting our staff and service first, fabulous rooftop bar (Whiskey Blue), and location. I understand your frustration with the road construction, but I hope it does not keep you from us for long (as it will not last) and we are constantly working to improve every guest room, guest experience, everytime. Thank you again for your time.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This was a trip consisting primarily of academic andreseach duties, but was made absolutely ENJOYABLE by the agency booking us erudite reveiwers into the W at Buckhead! It was rathermore a "boutique hotel" ambiance, beautiful urban deco furnishings, fabulously helpful and considerate staff (aren't we all tired of being off-put by condescending types), outstanding room! The restaurant and bar were both wonderful, a surprise because many times a really outstanding boutique hotel will present its travelers with expensive-but-mediocre food. The meals were SO good, I actually dined there two nights in a row, even in the presence of the fabulous foodie scene in Atlanta!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ProfessorLCH
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
ProfessorLCH - Academic trip turned fun, how fabulous! Thanks so much for your review of your October visit with us - we really appreciate it and can't wait for your return, whether for more study sessions or for more foodie finds at Market (or both) - we'll be looking forward to it! Thanks again!

See you soon!