“"Guest of the Day" is a nice touch!”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #70 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Chicago, Illinois
“"Guest of the Day" is a nice touch!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This place truly defined a well-attended to hotel experience. It was perfectly located in the heart of Buckhead, and the check in experience was awesome. I was immediately greeted as "the guest of the day!", which was a nice touch to welcome me. I'm sure it was to recognize my SPG Gold status, but nonetheless a nice welcome. The room was spacious - and while the bathroom in the middle of the room design was a bit off-putting at first, it turned out to be quite functional. The concierge arranged for a nice car ride to my destination the following morning. Also - I loved the outdoor space for having a drink in the lovely (rainy) Atlanta weather.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
RParkes, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
truthbetold_10 - Let the "truthbetold" that it was our absolute pleasure to have as our guest and we appreciate you stopping by. Congrats on being selected as our Guest of the Day!! The team gets so excited when the Guest of the Day actually checks in because that moment is all about YOU, Whatever/Whenever you want. Recognizing our guests and creating unique and personalized "W" experiences is what fuels our talent. When the sun comes back out, be sure to stop by for another drink on me! See you soon...rain or shine.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Korean first
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel was fabulous! We went for our anniversary and let them know when we check in. They upgraded our room and sent up champagne to help us celebrate. They have many small things that make them unique and the stay fun. One of the things was that they change out the mats in the elevators for each part of the day - Good Morning, etc. They staff were great and very friendly. I loved the modern decorations also!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
kchaney2012 - Well Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening! On behalf of the entire W Atlanta-Buckhead family.... Happy Anniversary...again :) It was truly our pleasure and we can't wait to welcome you back soon in grand style!

Stay cool,

USA
Reviewed 8 July 2013

GOOD

To be fair, service was outstanding, so that is something I want to highlight right off the bat.

The lobby is very beautiful and the room decor is nice as well.

There is refreshing flavored water available for free in the lobby, and I think they also offer free apples at check-in.

No breakfast buffet, but there is coffee in the lobby in the mornings.

I think this hotel is perfect for people who want to party and have a great time. There are lots of nice looking spaces to hang out and have a drink.

There is regular cable plus Showtime which was a nice bonus, but it wasn't called out, so I was initially disappointed thinking there were no movie channels.

BAD
The elevators look dirty and greasy, and are always playing loud music, so you feel like you've entered a party, which is really strange.

There is a lot of snacks available for purchase, and of course they are expensive as expected in any hotel, but it was painfully obvious that no one buys them: our snacks were dusty.

There is no free Wi-Fi and there are 2 tiers for the internet speed, so it feels like you are being charged for everything, not just for internet, but for *faster* internet.

The self-parking option is only 10 cheaper than valet, and there is no parking around, so you kind of have to pay for parking either way.

The pool... I was very disappointed because I planned my visit around the pool and it is VERY small. We walked to it, and we turned around right away. It seems like only 4-6 people can fit in at once. I'm sure it's very nice since it's heated, but I didn't feel comfortable joining the other 4 people who were already in the area.

The shower in the room does not have a door, so it's definitely designed with a couple in mind, but the detail we disliked most was that the toilet was pretty much right next to the bed, no real door (just a sliding panel), so there wasn't a lot of privacy in terms of separating unpleasant smells.

Movies are $14-$20 (not quite the $4.99 initial price point it says on the menu, but still cheaper than going to the movies, though)

No coffee maker in the room, you have to request one if you want it.

KEY TAKEAWAY: Highly recommend for people who want to party and have a great time, not for pampering and relaxation as we had originally intended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
dianaraquel - Thanks for sharing your experience in regards to your most recent stay. We appreciate the positive comments about the level of service you received from our Talent and for the fact that you found our Living Room and room decor nice. Everyone is always invited to experience what the W is all about, whether you're here to relax, recharge or have an electrying night! Whenever you're ready for another romantic and relaxing getaway, shoot me an email at Renford.Parkes@whotels.com and I will ensure that your experience is one to remember. We're up for the challenge to blow you away next time! Until then....take care.

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel was the worst W hotel I have ever stayed in. We booked a double bed standard room for the Peachtree Race so it would be easy to get to the start line. However, it took over 30 minutes to check in as not enough staff was working. The valet rushed me out of my car, not giving me time to gather my things.

When getting to the room, it was fun to see that while sharing a room with friends we were going to get to know each other better as there is a glass vertical window (frosted) that you can see all going on in the restroom to the bedroom and vice Versa. In addition, the bathroom door is see-thru and it doesn't lock.

I called the front desk and apparently they have normal walls/doors, but none available. In addition, I asked if there was anything they had to cover the glass and they said "no, sorry." So we ended up putting the ironing board over the glass panel window so we could semi shower with privacy.

• Stayed July 2013
Candiejo - Simply by reading the first sentence of your review, we're saddened that your "W" experience fell short of meeting your expectations. While we will never offer any excuses, this is definitely an aberration from our traditional high standards and for that I sincerely apologize. Numerous guests and runners arrived at the same time to check-in and we're apologetic that your check-in was delayed, as the Welcome Desk worked diligently to register all guests. When you return next time for the race, we will most certainly pre-block a room for you with a different bathroom layout ensuring more privacy for you and your guest. Thanks for taking the time to post a review and take care.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

I truly picked this place for price and location and was pleasantly surprised. Great check in experience very impressed they gave runners a banana water and pins for the race bib. Pretty cool. Front desk guy asked is I was a member of loyally club when I said no he said sign up now and we will waive valet fee so I did. Room is nice first time I have had a white noise machine which to do need because the door must be made if paper you can hear everything and everybody in the hall way. Easy walk to the mall. Didn't eat or drink here went else where. Also got late checkout with no problem. Overall all good and will come back.

• Stayed July 2013
RParkes, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Hockeybo - It was our absolute pleasure to host you and the runners for the Peachtree Race. What a great weekend it was! Now that you're a member of our Starwood Preferred Guest Program, there is an abundance of benefits and wonderful experiences that awaits you! We look forward to welcoming you back anytime and see you next year!

All the best,

Oslo
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I love W hotels, and stay at them with a passion. My company and I love and support the concept, that's why we always seek out W hotels when travelling. However, in able to suffer through the overpriced food, excessive valet charges, no free breakfasts or wi-fi, excessive rooms service charges, and a mini bar consisting of gummy bears and nuts the same price as a meal, I expect the room to be perfect. And so far W Hotel's have always delivered just that perfection, until Buckhead. You instantly notice it is a refurbished hotel, being Starwood I suspect it used to be a Sheraton. They should have totally redone the property when changing it to W, but instead they have put in a bunch of old and old looking furniture and design aspects to match it to the old interior. A cheap way of attempting to tie it all together, but in this case it doesn't work. If it had been a cheap Sheraton I would have wow, cool Sheraton, but being a W and the standards that come with that brand, it fails to deliver.
The rooftop bar Whiskey Blue seemed to lack a proper concept, in addition to guests. I did not eat at the restaurant so could not give a review of it. The pool area is minuscule but serves it purpose. The rooms are old and worn out. In my case my room was very worn, paint was missing here and there, the carpet was torn, the bathtub discolored, showerhead faulty and the furniture chipped and damaged. The door let all the sound from the hall in, and rattled every time someone closed their door, keeping me up all night, until I covered the door with suitcases. I got a new room taht was less worn, but had a faulty toilet and a door that occasionally would get stuck. Additionally as my second room was right by the elevator I could however hear everyone come and go. As i left the hotel I got a final farewell when drinking the free fruit infused water in the lobby. Usually it is just that, fruit floating in water, but someone had added sweetener without listing it beside it. As I cannot consume any artificial/chemical sweeteners I had to instantly expel the water from my body. All in all, W Buckhead is very disappointing if you are expecting what the usual W Hotel delivers. I have yet to visit W Atlanta Midtown, but W Atlanta Downtown is a much better property and costs approx. the same.

Eric – ModernTraveller

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
RParkes, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
ModernTravellerCom - We appreciate you taking the time to share comments regarding your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet your standards and the expectations that you were anticipating staying at a W hotel. Our modern meets vintage country club design is unique in it's own regard and different from other properties. W is an innovative and vibrant brand and we hope you'll consider giving us another opportunity to get together soon. Take care.

Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I'm an SPG member and have stayed at the W Atlanta-Buckhead on business about four to five times this year and have never posted a review about my experience, but this stay was totally different. It was my anniversary, so my husband I figured we would enjoy a night away in the city. When I checked in the staff told me I was their guest of the day and they all seemed so excited, which made me excited. There was a young lady at the desk, I wish I could remember her name who told me that I received extra SPG points and had a special treat waiting for me. There had to be about 3 people at the desk and they all made my husband and I feel like we were the only guests in the lobby. Renford, escorted us to our room and asked what brought us to the hotel. We asked Renford, if he could make us reservations for dinner and he said he would take care of us with a big smile. When we got our room, he pointed out the treat that was waiting for us which was absolutely delicious by the way. They have a car service that took us to dinner and to our surprise, the restaurant staff also recognized us as the W guest of the day and brought us dessert! I have never in all of my years of traveling experienced such great service and felt that I must share my experience about the level of service the W has. Thank you to the W Buckhead for making our anniversary so memorable and kudos to the entire staff for going above and beyond!

Room Tip: You got to check out Whisky Blue Walking distance to the Mall Location is perfect The staff is Ph...