“Comfortable stay for one person”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #62 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the W Buckhead (WB) for 1 night on a business trip. I am normally not a fan of the W chain but found my short stay at the WB to be comfortable, restful and very pleasant.

WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE THE W BUCKHEAD
1. Location. The WB is located within walking distance of the MARTA and it’s pretty to get off and on the 400 highway. There are good restaurants within walking distance.
2. Cook Hall Restaurant. I only ate breakfast there but it was surprisingly good and fast. Service was very friendly and efficient. Between my colleague and myself we had oatmeal, eggs and sausage and it was all very tasty. In addition, the blackboard highlighted an array of happy hour snacks with a Southern flair (duck sliders, deviled eggs) as well as some very high quality beers.
3. Nice room. I am not well-versed in the room tiers of the W chain and find them very confusing. I opted for a Spectacular Room, which was equipped with a king bed, a sitting table, with two chairs, and a desk. The Wifi worked well. The bathroom was equipped with quality toiletries from Bliss, plushy towels and a small but excellent shower. There were lots of lamps, so even though the décor leans heavily to the dark end of the spectrum, but there are lots of lamps and light switches to compensate. The window in my room had a rolling shade, so it was extremely dark.
4. Well-equipped mini bar. I never use my mini bar but if you do, you will like the one in the WB. There is wine, high quality mini bottles of alcohol, wine glasses, and snacks if you have a late night hankering for something.

WHY YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THE W BUCKHEAD
A. The ambience. The W décor is modern and quirky as an overall chain. The WB is no different. There are lots of dark colors and the furniture is strange to my untrained eye. It is functional nonetheless but if you care about décor and don’t like what the W offers, this is a big minus.
B. Bed not very comfortable. My bed was on the squishy side. The pillows were great but in cases of squishy beds, I sleep on a diagonal, and that seemed to take care of things. I’d hope the beds could be updated in the near future.
C. Room is smal/not great viewl. The bathroom and bedroom are really one room. It would be difficult for someone to take a shower and another person to sleep. The only real transition from bathroom to bedroom are tiles vs. carpet on the floor. My view looked out to the mall and an astroturf W logo. Not particularly exciting.
D. Hotel is geared toward younger adults. It was very quiet when I stayed here most recently, but I have been at the hotel on other nights where the WB can be quite a scene. I would not recommend this hotel for families with kids or if extreme quiet is critical for your comfort.
E. Noise. There is construction going on in the area. I heard early morning traffic and garbage pickups even though I slept with earplugs.

If room size is not that important to you and you either like the W décor or can ignore it, this hotel is a pleasant place to stay especially for a solo traveler. If you have a corporate rate this hotel can be a pretty good deal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

gocats89 - Thank you for such an in-depth review of your W Buckhead experience. Whether you're traveling by yourself or with a group, we're here to take care of Whatever you need, Whenever you need it!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We usually stay at the Intercontinental, the Ritz or the Westin in Buckhead, depending who has better deals at the time. This weekend, the W had the best deal and we figured we would give it a try (I've stayed at the W in NY...I was not all that impressed, but it would not be fair to judge a hotel chain based on just one hotel in the city.)
At the Buckhead W we had a bit of a problem during check-in which took way longer to resolve than it should have, but eventually, the manager did all the right things and the rest of the staff was very professional and true to the "service 1st" W motto.
Here is the problem, however.
The rooms are tiny (similar to the typical rooms in Europe, not USA.) The bathrooms are a joke. The one sink had no room for my toiletry bag or even make-up (which makes the "make-up mirror useless). The shower is tiny and leaks all over the floor as they did not splurge for a glass door. We got 1 robe...yes 1... in a King-size-bed hotel room (thankfully my husband was a gentleman ;)
Whatever the first 3 categories of rooms are (fantastic, fabulous...whatever) none seem to have bathtubs, just tiny stand-in showers and a set of old and new towels.
The room has cool trendy decor and a very comfortable bed, but no coffee maker (I mean really, in this day and age?) and the most LAMO of all: there are water bottles all over the room with big tags attached to them saying something like "free and clear" and "DRINK UP"...and a $5 price tag. Either they should have those in one place (on the bar) or if they are going to place them in 3 different places in the room "inviting people to drink" then just charge me that extra $5 and make the darn things free.
We did very much enjoy the rooftop bar and the cool downstairs restaurant

Room Tip: Go to their sister company hotel next door and stay there... you can always visit the hip W roof top...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MMignone
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

MMignone - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and in this case that we did not exceed your expectations. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

All the best,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is beautiful and very trendy, but definitely not designed for utility. The bathrooms in W hotels are pretty odd, and not great for rooms shared with friends (rather than a significant other) since they aren't sound or smell proof.

The staff varied significantly in competence and helpfulness. Some were great, and some, when asked for really basic simple requests had a pretty bad attitude, and were unwilling to help.

Weekend nights are REALLY loud, and the doors to the rooms and the windows are not at all soundproof. It can be hard to get a good nights' sleep without earplugs.

Overall, if you're looking for a Starwood property, I'd stay at the Westin next door instead unless you're a really big partier.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

BCNY100 - Our modern manor hotel design/décor are signature to Buckhead and provides our guests with an unique and trendy hospitality experience. It is very disappointing to hear about the interactions you unfortunately experienced with some of our talent and while we will never offer any excuses, this is certainly an aberration from our traditional high standards and Whatever/Whenever Service Culture that we have set in place and for that we are truly sorry. Should your travels return you to Atlanta, we hope that you'll consider visiting again so that we can further demonstrate a great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Take it easy,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The W Buckhead went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable. I am a platinum SPG member so I used one of my room upgrades to get a Wow suite for my husband and me. We were excited about the normal suite but then checked into the hotel to find out that we were upgraded to the E-Wow suite. It was simply amazing. Tons of space, 2 bathrooms, big dining table, great views of Atlanta, tons of seating, I could go on and on. I still had to do my normal W routine of hiding all of the junk food crap that they insist on putting on prominent display in every room, but that's the same in every W.

Speaking of check in, Eric at the front desk really gets the concept of customer service. He was kind, had a positive attitude, and seemed to genuinely care that we have a good stay from beginning to end. I also enjoyed the wet deck staff. They were attentive but still laid back, which made for a good pool vibe. Finally, the Cook Hall hostess was very pleasant and on top of things as we met a big group of 15 for dinner. Cook Hall food was good, but the restaurant was pretty empty and lacked the fun, upbeat atmosphere of the rest of the hotel. The staff commented that it was an unusually slow night.

The hotel atmosphere is "happening" which was exactly what we wanted on a Saturday night. If you have kids, I would not stay here. There is a Westin next door that is more kid friendly. We had friends staying in the hotel, so the giant E-Wow suite became our group hangout spot. I admit we were loud until about 10:00 at night and then did the right thing and left for the many bars nearby. I appreciated that we could be loud at that time since it wasn't late yet. I trust they would have quieted us down if we hung around much longer. They have reminders at check in that parties and noise are not allowed, but if you are wanting a quiet hotel, this isn't it. And that is its great appeal! Have some adult fun in an upscale atmosphere. You won't be bored here.

Only complaints: The hotel won't let you bring outside food or drink into the pool area. Why? They want you to spend $13 per drink and $17 for a fried fish sandwich. With those kind of prices, the service better be good! I personally think that paying for the room means I should get access to the pool regardless if I want to walk in with my own drink in my hand. But I digress. How to get around this? Bring your stuff up early around 11 before the wet deck staff sets up and are there to police your personal belongings. Worked great for us. We had our own not ridiculously expensive drinks, but still ordered food, and it was quite yummy.

Also, the room was not ready at 3:00 but actually 3:45. We had very early dinner reservations so this made for a stressful couple of hours to be ready and at dinner on time. But this is more of a Starwood issue than this hotel doing anything wrong, because platinum hotel guests with very high loyalty status can request late check out. I am platinum so I get that it puts a squeeze on the hotels. Still, kind of annoying when 3:00 check in is advertised. Maybe Starwood should change all check in times to 4:00.

Other than those minor things, the stay was great and I have to say this is my favorite W so far. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014

rae3799 - WOW, what a great review from a loyal Platinum SPG member and it's a honor to be classified as your favorite W hotel that you've visited. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share such in-depth feedback regarding your recent stay. It's important to us that each guest experiences our signature W atmosphere and vibe and if there's an opportunity to surprise and delight a guest then we're on it! As you mentioned, our hotel is definitely "happening" on the weekends and the place to be if you're looking for an electrifying night with family or friends. No matter what the occasion, our Whatever/Whenever agents are ready to take care of your every need with style. Until next time, take care and remember that you're always welcome to stop by anytime.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Great stay at the W. Husband & I celebrated our 12th anniversary here. Nice, clean room. Was greeted by Phillip at the front desk- who was VERY pleasant, and informative. The room was true W fashion, modern and clean- the only thing we didn't love was the VERY small bathroom with a sliding door. Other than that- everything was perfect!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sgpeneguy

sgpeneguy - Happy Anniversary once again to you and your husband! It was absolutely our pleasure to welcome you both in grand style and we hope that you'll keep us in mind when planning your next date night. Another fabulous W experience awaits.

INSIDER TIP - Share the exciting news! We're serious when we say that we want to hear about your special occasions. Give us a call or contact us via email at Renford.Parkes@whotels.com and we have you covered!

Take care,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I want to start by saying that I really do not like the W Hotels but my company keeps booking me in a W. It is all form over function. Most don't care if you can use the room as long as there is funky stuff that you have no interest in using and are they are more interested in changing the elevator carpets 3 times a day than making you comfortable. The Buckhead location is not like the rest, it is MUCH better. The front staff is very friendly and the lobby is very well done without being pompous and pretentious and there was not a DJ blocking my access to the elevators. The room was spacious and was not full of stuff they are trying to sell you. I was actually able to put my computer on the desk and plug it in and do actual work. I could not see the TV from the desk, but that is ok.

Bathroom was great with lots of room and great tile work and Bliss products. There was a sliding door on the bathroom which takes away from some of the privacy and soundproofing if you happen to be sharing a room.

Lots of great restaurants around and two malls within walking distance. I went to Lennox Square and found lots of great shopping and great places to eat.
The Valets were very nice. It was pricy, but the price was good for coming in and out all day and not per use.

I hope this review was helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

setcarp - To receive a 5 star review from a Trip Advisor Top Contributor such as yourself means a great deal to our hotel talent and we appreciate you taking the time to share your W experience.

All the best,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The service here was above and beyond. And this is coming from 6 very picky females! :) Maddy, Renford and Wayne personally made sure every need of ours was taken care of. The rooms were gorgeous and very clean. We didn't want to leave! Thanks for making this an unforgettable weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hey Lauren,

WOW, what a delight it was to personally meet you and it was our pleasure to show you exactly what makes W Atlanta Buckhead special. We're glad that you enjoyed our special "insider" surprise that was waiting for you and the girls. You're forever a VIP in our eyes and we'll see you next time for sure!

Insider Tip - Celebrating a special occasion? There's no better place to kick back, sip on a few cocktails and amplify your night. Give us a shout.