I stayed at the W Buckhead (WB) for 1 night on a business trip. I am normally not a fan of the W chain but found my short stay at the WB to be comfortable, restful and very pleasant.
WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE THE W BUCKHEAD
1. Location. The WB is located within walking distance of the MARTA and it’s pretty to get off and on the 400 highway. There are good restaurants within walking distance.
2. Cook Hall Restaurant. I only ate breakfast there but it was surprisingly good and fast. Service was very friendly and efficient. Between my colleague and myself we had oatmeal, eggs and sausage and it was all very tasty. In addition, the blackboard highlighted an array of happy hour snacks with a Southern flair (duck sliders, deviled eggs) as well as some very high quality beers.
3. Nice room. I am not well-versed in the room tiers of the W chain and find them very confusing. I opted for a Spectacular Room, which was equipped with a king bed, a sitting table, with two chairs, and a desk. The Wifi worked well. The bathroom was equipped with quality toiletries from Bliss, plushy towels and a small but excellent shower. There were lots of lamps, so even though the décor leans heavily to the dark end of the spectrum, but there are lots of lamps and light switches to compensate. The window in my room had a rolling shade, so it was extremely dark.
4. Well-equipped mini bar. I never use my mini bar but if you do, you will like the one in the WB. There is wine, high quality mini bottles of alcohol, wine glasses, and snacks if you have a late night hankering for something.
WHY YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THE W BUCKHEAD
A. The ambience. The W décor is modern and quirky as an overall chain. The WB is no different. There are lots of dark colors and the furniture is strange to my untrained eye. It is functional nonetheless but if you care about décor and don’t like what the W offers, this is a big minus.
B. Bed not very comfortable. My bed was on the squishy side. The pillows were great but in cases of squishy beds, I sleep on a diagonal, and that seemed to take care of things. I’d hope the beds could be updated in the near future.
C. Room is smal/not great viewl. The bathroom and bedroom are really one room. It would be difficult for someone to take a shower and another person to sleep. The only real transition from bathroom to bedroom are tiles vs. carpet on the floor. My view looked out to the mall and an astroturf W logo. Not particularly exciting.
D. Hotel is geared toward younger adults. It was very quiet when I stayed here most recently, but I have been at the hotel on other nights where the WB can be quite a scene. I would not recommend this hotel for families with kids or if extreme quiet is critical for your comfort.
E. Noise. There is construction going on in the area. I heard early morning traffic and garbage pickups even though I slept with earplugs.
If room size is not that important to you and you either like the W décor or can ignore it, this hotel is a pleasant place to stay especially for a solo traveler. If you have a corporate rate this hotel can be a pretty good deal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the heart of Atlanta's entertainment and fashion capital is W Atlanta - Buckhead, where southern hospitality rules 24/7. W Atlanta - Buckhead combines modern luxury and Southern charm into its chic design and welcoming atmosphere, in a neighborhood that puts you in the center of all Atlanta has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your W Atlanta - Buckhead reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Atlanta - Buckhead Hotel Atlanta
- w Hotels Atlanta