“Not all that” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
columbia, sc
“Not all that”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were really looking forward to our stay at the W for the Peachtree Road Race. Unfortunately, nothing lived up to our expectations. At check in the guy checking us in just acted like he was too good for us and was very unhelpful. He told us about an event they were having that you had to buy tickets for and I asked what time it started and ended and he just kept saying you have to buy a ticket to get in...look, I realize that, I heard that, but what time does the event start and end? Could never get an answer. He couldn't even give my wife and I each a key to our room, only one key (asked for 2 but he said he couldn't get 2 keys to work for the room....really?)

The 'free wi-fi' wasn't free for us. To be fair, I am not going to blame the W for that as we booked through an agency for the race and that could be what they negotiated.

The room was not very great. The bathroom is in the room with no privacy. If you close the sliding doors to the toilet/shower area you can hope for some privacy (mind you the sink is still in the main part of the room) however the sliding doors are so awful that you can see right through the large gaps. Fine for a couple but if sharing a room with someone for work it would be extremely uncomfortable.

Prices are nuts for everything. Just because you charge a lot of money doesn't mean that it is high quality! We ordered 2 drinks and a side of mac and cheese to our room.....$47

Another evening we got back around midnight and went to the bar to get a drink to take to the room. The bartended just ignored us so finally we asked if they were open and he said no that he was closed. Ok that is fine (although closing at midnight on a Saturday night seems early but whatever) so I asked if there was anywhere else to get a drink and the best answer he could come up with was "I don't know". Sorry bud, but I think you do know and you were just being lazy. It is fine you were closed but it would be easy to point someone in the right direction as I wasn't looking for anything crazy.

For valet they said we can call ahead to get our car so when we come down it will be ready. No problem so we do that before we check out and there is close to 20 minutes that go by before we get down to the lobby. Still no car and once we get out there they act like we never called and talk to them and then go get our car. What is the point in calling ahead?

The entire place is trying to be very contemporary....fine....however there is no need for all of the 'better than you' attitude that was on display the entire time we were there.

One last thing, the curtains in the room aren't even black out curtains so don't expect it to be dark in your room. As soon as the sun starts to pop up, you will know about it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andyllc
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello andyllc - We appreciate you visiting during the Peachtree Race and look forward to exceeding your expectations next year. You shared some great feedback that our team will use as tool for improvement and thank you once again for choosing W Atlanta Buckhead.

Take care,

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Beaumont, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed in a suite on the 9th floor. The suite had nice size living room with a desk with computer connections. Free internet. 1 full & 1/2 bathroom. Nice! We had a king sig bed. Very comfortable! I loved how the full bath had lighting options (high beam to low beam). The living room and bedroom had wood floor. As you enter into the suite, a nice stocked refrigerator and bar. Great location! Very nice eatery and malls in walking distance. I definitely recommend this hotel! I did not rate it an excellent because the pool was so small that you might as well say, there wasn't a pool. Pools are important to my husband and I when traveling. July 4 fire works were awesome! Biggest fire works in Southeastern USA from the Atlanta W Buckhead Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Grace_Baby - BOOM! The 4th of July fireworks show was dynamic this year and thank you for choosing W Atlanta Buckhead to celebrate. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed our WOW Suite because they're just that...WOW. Our ideal Buckhead location makes us the perfect hotel for travelers visiting the city and we look forward to welcoming everyone in true W fashion!

Visit anytime.

INSIDER TIP - Join us each Sunday at our WET Deck for SUNDAZE @ WET. Enjoy the tunes of our guest DJ's and bask poolside in our 4th floor infinity pool overlooking Peachtree Road while sipping on your favorite cocktail. Sounds fun, right?

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed at the W Atlanta in Buckhead for a night when I was visiting Atlanta for work.

I found the service of the W superb. I was able to check in early when I arrived to the hotel. The gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and walked me through the compound.

My room was very nice and large. The amenities were great and the bed was very comfortable.

I was very happy to learn that the hotel offers a complimentary car service to a variety of places in the surrounding area. The drivers were very friendly and warm.

I was out of the hotel most of the day and night, due to my meetings and work engagements. When I got back to my hotel room at 3:30 a.m. from a long day at work, I was very happy to have the ability to order some dinner...or shall I say, early breakfast? The service was great and my food came very quickly. The burger I ordered was tasty and hit the spot after a long day of work.

The next morning I was able to walk around the hotel for a bit and got to see the pool. The pool area was very chic. When I return to this hotel in the future, I will be sure to the make time to take a dip in the pool.

If you're a business traveller like myself, and you visit Atlanta, then I recommend you stay at the W Atlanta in Buckhead.

I will definitely return to this establishment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor to get a better view of the surrounding area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jetsettingnomad - Wow, thanks for such a great review. Our shuttle service is available and will have you arriving in style to any destination within a two-mile radius of the hotel. Looking to relax poolside at Buckhead's only infinity pool? Then join us at our WET deck and bask poolside while enjoying a signature cocktail. INSIDER TIP - try the Strawberry Margarita...your taste buds will thank you. We'll see you soon.

Stay cool,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean, young, and a uniquly fine experience. With delicious room service, a full restraunt downstairs (for best service ask for Tiffany, shes amazing), and the swanky whiskey blue roof top bar we barely had to leave the hotel. The infinaty pool was small yet chic with a great view of the busy city in front of us, layed next to numourus tanning lounge chairs and a phone for the wherever/whenever front desk. If they dont have what you need then they will go above and beyond to make your stay perfect (Rob even went to Target to get me a pair of sunglasses). It rained one day and the pool was closed, so the front desk had a car called to shuttle us to their sister property the Westin, which seemed to be a more grown up version of the w, all very executive feeling.

What keeps my review from being a 5 star experience was the W's car service driver, Skip. He disrespected my friends and myself, and was verbally rude to the other guests crammed in the car. Offering no apology to me, Skip proceeded to make the entire car ride uncomfortable to our destination and back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hey Joe. A.

Thanks for choosing W Atlanta Buckhead for your "perfect staycation" and we look forward to exceeding your expectations and earning a 5 star review on your next visit.

All the best,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the W Buckhead (WB) for 1 night on a business trip. I am normally not a fan of the W chain but found my short stay at the WB to be comfortable, restful and very pleasant.

WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE THE W BUCKHEAD
1. Location. The WB is located within walking distance of the MARTA and it’s pretty to get off and on the 400 highway. There are good restaurants within walking distance.
2. Cook Hall Restaurant. I only ate breakfast there but it was surprisingly good and fast. Service was very friendly and efficient. Between my colleague and myself we had oatmeal, eggs and sausage and it was all very tasty. In addition, the blackboard highlighted an array of happy hour snacks with a Southern flair (duck sliders, deviled eggs) as well as some very high quality beers.
3. Nice room. I am not well-versed in the room tiers of the W chain and find them very confusing. I opted for a Spectacular Room, which was equipped with a king bed, a sitting table, with two chairs, and a desk. The Wifi worked well. The bathroom was equipped with quality toiletries from Bliss, plushy towels and a small but excellent shower. There were lots of lamps, so even though the décor leans heavily to the dark end of the spectrum, but there are lots of lamps and light switches to compensate. The window in my room had a rolling shade, so it was extremely dark.
4. Well-equipped mini bar. I never use my mini bar but if you do, you will like the one in the WB. There is wine, high quality mini bottles of alcohol, wine glasses, and snacks if you have a late night hankering for something.

WHY YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THE W BUCKHEAD
A. The ambience. The W décor is modern and quirky as an overall chain. The WB is no different. There are lots of dark colors and the furniture is strange to my untrained eye. It is functional nonetheless but if you care about décor and don’t like what the W offers, this is a big minus.
B. Bed not very comfortable. My bed was on the squishy side. The pillows were great but in cases of squishy beds, I sleep on a diagonal, and that seemed to take care of things. I’d hope the beds could be updated in the near future.
C. Room is smal/not great viewl. The bathroom and bedroom are really one room. It would be difficult for someone to take a shower and another person to sleep. The only real transition from bathroom to bedroom are tiles vs. carpet on the floor. My view looked out to the mall and an astroturf W logo. Not particularly exciting.
D. Hotel is geared toward younger adults. It was very quiet when I stayed here most recently, but I have been at the hotel on other nights where the WB can be quite a scene. I would not recommend this hotel for families with kids or if extreme quiet is critical for your comfort.
E. Noise. There is construction going on in the area. I heard early morning traffic and garbage pickups even though I slept with earplugs.

If room size is not that important to you and you either like the W décor or can ignore it, this hotel is a pleasant place to stay especially for a solo traveler. If you have a corporate rate this hotel can be a pretty good deal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gocats89 - Thank you for such an in-depth review of your W Buckhead experience. Whether you're traveling by yourself or with a group, we're here to take care of Whatever you need, Whenever you need it!

Stay cool,

United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We usually stay at the Intercontinental, the Ritz or the Westin in Buckhead, depending who has better deals at the time. This weekend, the W had the best deal and we figured we would give it a try (I've stayed at the W in NY...I was not all that impressed, but it would not be fair to judge a hotel chain based on just one hotel in the city.)
At the Buckhead W we had a bit of a problem during check-in which took way longer to resolve than it should have, but eventually, the manager did all the right things and the rest of the staff was very professional and true to the "service 1st" W motto.
Here is the problem, however.
The rooms are tiny (similar to the typical rooms in Europe, not USA.) The bathrooms are a joke. The one sink had no room for my toiletry bag or even make-up (which makes the "make-up mirror useless). The shower is tiny and leaks all over the floor as they did not splurge for a glass door. We got 1 robe...yes 1... in a King-size-bed hotel room (thankfully my husband was a gentleman ;)
Whatever the first 3 categories of rooms are (fantastic, fabulous...whatever) none seem to have bathtubs, just tiny stand-in showers and a set of old and new towels.
The room has cool trendy decor and a very comfortable bed, but no coffee maker (I mean really, in this day and age?) and the most LAMO of all: there are water bottles all over the room with big tags attached to them saying something like "free and clear" and "DRINK UP"...and a $5 price tag. Either they should have those in one place (on the bar) or if they are going to place them in 3 different places in the room "inviting people to drink" then just charge me that extra $5 and make the darn things free.
We did very much enjoy the rooftop bar and the cool downstairs restaurant

Room Tip: Go to their sister company hotel next door and stay there... you can always visit the hip W roof top...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MMignone
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
MMignone - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and in this case that we did not exceed your expectations. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

All the best,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is beautiful and very trendy, but definitely not designed for utility. The bathrooms in W hotels are pretty odd, and not great for rooms shared with friends (rather than a significant other) since they aren't sound or smell proof.

The staff varied significantly in competence and helpfulness. Some were great, and some, when asked for really basic simple requests had a pretty bad attitude, and were unwilling to help.

Weekend nights are REALLY loud, and the doors to the rooms and the windows are not at all soundproof. It can be hard to get a good nights' sleep without earplugs.

Overall, if you're looking for a Starwood property, I'd stay at the Westin next door instead unless you're a really big partier.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BCNY100 - Our modern manor hotel design/décor are signature to Buckhead and provides our guests with an unique and trendy hospitality experience. It is very disappointing to hear about the interactions you unfortunately experienced with some of our talent and while we will never offer any excuses, this is certainly an aberration from our traditional high standards and Whatever/Whenever Service Culture that we have set in place and for that we are truly sorry. Should your travels return you to Atlanta, we hope that you'll consider visiting again so that we can further demonstrate a great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Take it easy,