“Not planning to come back EVER”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #61 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 24 July 2014

After a long day of baseball and a missed connection to the west coast it was after 11pm and I was stuck with my child and no hotel room within 15 miles of the airport because of multiple conventions. I had stayed at the W in San Diego before so when this hotel popped up online as actually having a room I thought it would be a good place to go.

Because of the small entrance and the long line of cars waiting to get in, I ended up getting out of my cab in the rain and walking in, which admittedly, put me in a worse mood than I was already in.

The front desk staff was friendly and gave me some toiletries since the airline still had our bags (lost connection and all), but they were much more interested in talking about the football players that had just walked in rather than a dripping, tired mom and her son so they forgot to mention that you needed to use your key card to get to room floors.

Imagine our surprise when we ended up on the top floor and the doors opened and a large group of drunk, loud 20 somethings crowded in and we went back to the 1st floor. While we got our card out and before we could swipe in and enter our floor the elevator went back up to the 7th floor and the doors opened to what could only be two "working girls" and their boss. (Based on some of the reviews, I shouldn't have been surprised.)

Fast forward to trying to get to sleep. The hotel is made from cheap materials. As another reviewer mentioned, the doors are thin and the hallway lights come into your room from under the door. Anytime someone walked down the hall you could hear their conversation, them fumbling at their door and them going in. Made it difficult to stay asleep.

Added to that is the air conditioning unit. For the price that I paid you would think that there would be central air with a wall thermostat. The key feature of these units is that they are generally very quiet. I was in a Staybridge Suites in Arizona 2 weeks earlier that had central air. This hotel has those floor/window units. The problem with those kinds of units is that they are extremely loud. Not only was this one loud, it hummed at a frequency that personally makes me sick. My son was already asleep (he was exhausted and can sleep through anything) and we only had a few hours before we had to go back to the airport so I didn't call down to the front desk. Instead used my ear buds, turned on my iTunes and put a pillow over my head (I could still hear the traffic outside my door and the air conditioning unit - but it was a quieter) and tried to sleep.

If I ever end up needing a hotel in the Buckhead area I will absolutely try a different hotel - I saw many around the area that I am sure I could get a better night's sleep and not be subject to the local "working girls."

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WorldTraveler2626
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Hello WorldTraveler2626,

We regret and apologize for the difficulties and frustrations you experienced, especially after along day of travel. The circumstances which you describe are certainly not acceptable and you may be assured the inconveniences encountered do not reflect the true level of service we strive to extend to our guests. We thank you for your feedback which is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis and each comment received,both positive and negative, enables us to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our business and leisure travelers. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again and we are confident your next stay will be pleasurable in every respect.

Kind regards,

Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The W Hotel in Buckhead-Atlanta was fantastic. All employees were friendly and helpful! The hotel was modern and sleek, but still very comfortable! The location was perfect for walking around Buckhead and close enough to downtown Atlanta. The rooftop bar was also a great treat!

1  Thank libbypittman
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

libbypittman - Thanks for the "fabulous" review! We're glad that you found time to enjoy Whiskey Blue, our destination lounge and club on the rooftop overlooking the beautiful city of Atlanta. The vibe is pretty awesome up there, right?

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The room was great but it was too noisy for the price of the room. I stayed there for a mini staycation and there was no sleeping in. You constantly hear doors slamming and housekeeping starting at about 6 am. Not only that but housekeeping knocked on my door twice before 11 am. The first time apologizing at around 9 and then again about an hour later asking if I needed service. I was so confused since check out is at noon. In addition, the A/C is loud and we kept hearing noise from the bathroom. Horrible experience, I will never stay there again. Complete waste of money.

• Stayed: July 2014

QS2003 - We find it unfortunate that your stay was disappointing due to noise from the AC unit in your guestroom and also from our Room Stylist. Our Stylists begin cleaning rooms daily at around 8:30am, so we're not sure why any guest would be disturbed at 6:00am. We will certainly conduct the proper research on our end and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Should your travels return you to Atlanta, we'd be delighted to offer a late checkout, so that you can catch up on some zzzzzz.

All the best,

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This place is incredible. Way more than we expected. The only thing I wish I would have known was that the rooftop is business attire only so keep this in mind. Place is decorated beautifully and staff is great. It is right next door to the Lennox Mall winch is also a plus. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

natedogg78n - Thanks for the "incredible" review! Stop by anytime, you're always welcome.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We had a really great stay. The guys at the front desk were extremely helpful. The hotel is right in the middle of great restaurants and shopping. We walked everywhere. The pool was great too. Overall great stay. Will do again.

• Stayed: July 2014

Christopher M - We're thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience and don't be a stranger...you're invited anytime!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've got to admit, I've loved this hotel for years. I used to live across the street and on Fridays and Saturdays I almost always found myself walking to whiskey blue.. The rooftop bar with an absolutely breathtaking view of Atlanta.

When I know I'll be in town and want to hang out in the city for the weekend, this is usually the first hotel I check prices on. Sometimes it is ridiculously expensive, others it's very reasonable.

The. Beds. Best nights sleep in a hotel.

Bathrooms are retro modern, clean and well stocked. Bliss spa bath products.

The rooms are seductive, usually there's a rainforest noisemaker going with the a/c pumped up for ya so when you initially walk in it's just....ahh. The rooms and lobby have a signature scent. Not sure how to describe it but all w's have that smell.

Happy hour in the living room is cool. But be careful, you'll find yourself over indulging and miss on the best party stairs... Which usually doesn't get started until 11 or so. And it gets packed. I would compare this hotel to some cool place in LA. It's not "turned up" like most of Atlanta. It's chill. It's a little pretentious but what do you expect in buckhead?

Only thing I would change about this place is offering complimentary valet for frequent guests.

Staff? Whatever... They're amazing. It's clear everyone gets the W mantra! Just ask, they'll help in most anyway they can!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DanielWayneRoberts

Daniel R - WOW, after reading your review, all we can say is thank you for such a great testimonial regarding your recent experience and we greatly appreciate your loyalty to W Atlanta Buckhead throughout the years! Go ahead and make yourself at home.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I just want to start out by saying this hotel is pretty posh. It is very modern in decor and very hip. The hotel lobby is just as it is pictured on the website. The rooms look a lot bigger on the internet than in person. The bathroom is so small the shower doesn't have a door and the toilet is literally right next to shower. The bad part about this hotel is the valet service. I stayed here two nights this past weekend and both days called for my car 30 minutes a head of time and both times were an epic fail. It really bothers me to pay $32 for valet parking and I cannot even get my car in a timely manner. It doesn't matter how busy they get they should always stay geared toward their guests and not visitors for the bars. I complained on checkout about the valet parking and the guy at the desk was just like "sorry". Well in my world sorry just don't cut it when you pay $32 for valet in Buckhead. I get superior service at the St Regis for the same price for valet as the W. Overall, valet sucks, rooms good, great people watching spot, and might come back. Return still up in the air.

Room Tip: Do Not book any floor above 9 due to noise from roof top bar.