“I really wanted to give this a 5 star, but it doesn't deserve that.”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #67 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Douglas, Georgia
“I really wanted to give this a 5 star, but it doesn't deserve that.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The property itself is absolutely gorgeous. The front desk staff at check in were extremely friendly and genuinely caring. The valet has some issues, but not serious ones. The only complaint with valet is you have to hunt your keys down, instead of them running up to you with the key. As mentioned earlier the property is gorgeous, I love the antler designs(BUCKhead). The hotel has a country-club feel in the lobby and common areas.

Now for the room. I had booked a Wow Suite, room 903 was given to me. The only complaint with the room is that the chair at the desk has severely scratched the pretty hard wood flooring. The bed, like all W beds, was AMAZING. The couch was super comfy. I enjoyed the convenience of the munchie box. The bathroom was super spacious, but I would like to have a bath tub. The ONLY room with a bath tub is the Extreme Wow Suite, and the price for that room isn't worth having a tub.

Now for the service. Absolutely AWFUL and the poor service is the only reason this property gets a poor review from me. There was no hot water one day (after two twenty minute showers there was still no hot water). When I brought this to the attention of the front desk, they issued no apology and told me they were having issues with their hot water heater. I don't know about you, but one thing I always expect from any hotel is WARM shower water. This hotel did not deliver that very well. 2) The next service issue was the whatever/whenever service here doesn't exist. How is that you ask? Isn't this supposed to be the signature service that W hotels is known for? Well, this hotel obviously doesn't participate in providing whatever/whenever. The only request I had made on my stay from whatever/whenever was chicken wings at midnight. They said they do not offer chicken wings and hung up on me. SERIOUSLY? Wow. That really infuriates me, especially after paying extra to stay in a Wow Suite. 3) While my DO NOT DISTURB sign was on my door, in-room dining tried to deliver food to me that was ordered by the room across the hall-a)they should not DISTURB guests that explicitly do NOT want to be disturbed. b)Staff should pay attention and READ the room numbers. 4) Some of the towels do have stains on them, before being used by me.

Now, as on the W hotels corporate website, it says whatever/whenever -as long as it's legal. 1) Hot wings at midnight are not illegal and were NOT given to me. 2) Warm shower was not illegal and is was NOT given to me. Whatever/whenever needs to do better. I also brought this to the attention to Starwood's guest services and they did not seem to care much. Very disappointed and will more than likely not return anytime soon. As I do carry the SPG Amex card & I am SPG Gold, I do expect better treatment at their properties. Maybe my next Atlanta should stay should be at the St. Regis...

Room Tip: Wow Suites provide a lot more space and a better bathroom(private)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CM90
Renford P, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
CM90 - The power of saying "yes" and delivering on our Whatever/Whenever service philosophy allows us an opportunity to create memorable experiences for our guests and we're terribly sorry that we failed to deliver on this promise and executing your request. Rest assured that this is certainly an aberration from the high standards that we have set in place and our team is disappointed that we fell short of meeting your expectations. We have used your feedback as a valuable learning opportunity for our talent and as such will be better as a result.

As it relates to Starwood Customer Services, once your feedback was received, a member of our hotel team personally contacted you within 24 hours to review your concerns and we're looking forward to your upcoming return trip to W Atlanta Buckhead to demonstrate the level of service that that so many of our guests have grown accustom to receiving when visiting with us. This previous experience is certainly an anomaly and we're amped up to exceed your expectations and deliver on our Whatever/Whenever service culture!

Regards,

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a very poor experience at the W hotel. Upon arrival we waited 15 min for a valet. I finally went inside to find help at the front desk but they were busy chatting. The lobby had a bad smell. After check in - they gave no instructions to the elevators, that we needed a key to get to our floor or assistance with our bags. We wandered until a guest was helpful to find where to go. When we finally arrived on our floor there were four trays of old food sitting next to the elevators, they had us directly across from the elevator, and our window looked directly into a wall that was less than six inches from the window pane. We requested a new room, which they were kind to assist with. Our room had the same bad smell, but what was worse was the bathroom door would not stay closed. So when using the restroom we had no privacy, and the bathroom is so small that you are showering and using the restroom at arms length from the bed. Luckily, we slept well and did not hear too much noise. There was commotion around 2am when the bars closed and people were headed to their rooms, we heard doors slamming but it did not last TOO long. The next morning we took the stairs to the gym to work out, and in the stairwell there was the smell of cigarettes and cannabis, and the rest of the joint sitting on the level among several cigarette butts. When I told management she laughed. We were planning a trip to the aquarium and had our tickets in our email, we asked if they could help us print the ONE sheet of paper. We were instructed to pay for 30 min of internet and paper at the business center, for $15 we printed one sheet of paper. UNREAL! It was a terrible experience and we will be staying down the road at the Marriott for all future visits.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dallas-Traveler75
Dallas-Traveler75 - We're certainly disappointed to realize that your stay failed to meet your expectations, from the timeliness of retrieving your vehicle to the noise that negatively impacted your experience. We have followed-up on all the areas mentioned in your review and while we strive to always deliver an exceptional experience to each guest, it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

If you're looking for a contemporarily charged, but relaxing atmosphere - this is the hotel for you. From the DJ in the foyer, to the stylist (maid service) who make sure you room is clean and appealing, you can't miss with this hotel. It is very reasonably priced which is the cherry on top!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kevin K - Your review said it all. Thanks for stopping by and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another dynamic experience in Hotlanta at W Atlanta Buckhead!

Stay cool,

Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I just returned from 2 nights at this hotel traveling to Atlanta for business.
i loved the staff, the service and boutique style of this hotel. it was well priced and a good value.

Within walking distance of good food and shopping area. The on site restaurant Cook Hall, was super and food and service was outstanding.
I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: My room location 303 was facing a horrible view, but the room was very quiet. Well designed and had...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
ladady - Thanks for the outstanding review!

Kind regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

First time for me at the W Hotel in Buckwood. Was there for 8 days. Great location, close to Lennox Mall and right in the middle of Buckhead with Shuttle service to lots of great locations such as restaurants (I went to Chops).
Great value for money, with a good, quiet room. Friendly service with easy check in.
Room Service menu limited.
There was a screw up with my laundry getting misplaced (not their fault, but with the outsourced Laundry agency) but they were extremely apologetic and arranged for it to be dry cleaned gratis and FedExed to Malaysia (where I stay)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gloods73 - It was a pleasure to have you as our guest for your 8 day visit. Sorry for the initial mishap regarding your laundry and we're glad that our team was able to locate our items and have them shipped internationally and returned back to your possession. Whenever your travels return you Atlanta, your family here at W Atlanta Buckhead will be waiting to exceed your expectations and welcome you back in grand style!

Thanks for staying awhile,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated our two year wedding anniversary at this location recently and our experience vastly exceeded my expectations. We used hotwire to book the hotel and not having any familiarity with the W hotels made both my wife and I a little apprehensive of the trip. Being from a small town and not doing much traveling or hotel staying, we had a lot of hard earned money put in on the trip and we did not want to be disappointed. The W most certainly did not! When we arrived we were greeted by Vincent at the front desk who gave us a room upgrade along with two vouchers for free drinks when he heard it was our anniversary. Once we arrived in our room we were pleasantly surprised by the layout itself. Coming from a small town, neither of us are into the "modern" scene, but the room was very likable in that regard. We decided to lay down for a quick power nap but found that to be a little difficult at first due to a loud party going on at the pool right below us. I called down to the front desk to ask about the noise and she assured me that the event would be ending very soon. Within minutes the music stopped and my wife and I fell right asleep. after waking from our nap we heard a knock on our door. Rachelle from guest services had sent us a tray of fruit along with a large bottle of water and a card wishing us a happy anniversary. It was a wonderful surprise that neither of us expected. Our expectations had begun high and were being quickly met by the stellar service. Our favorite restaurant where we had our first date Maggiano's was right across the street which allowed us to walk rather than park and drive to dinner. When we returned around 10 that evening we were interested in using the free drink cards that Vincent had given us that afternoon. The only problem was that we were told the vouchers were only good on alcohol. My wife who was 7 months pregnant at the time and couldn't drink, and myself who doesn't drink alcohol were a little disappointed in this since we both wanted to use them on coffee but once again the staff stepped up. Erick who happened to be working at the desk that night gave us two vouchers for a free breakfast in the in house restaurant the next morning. When we got bak to our room we were still wanting that cup of coffee and decided to get a dessert. Within 5 minutes of calling down to the "whatever/whenever" staff, Erick personally brought us a coffee maker at no charge to us along with a microwave for our leftovers. Another 5 minutes later and Robert brought us the most delicious piece of cheesecake. After getting the cheesecake we decided that we were hungry again for some of our leftovers and needed extra plates. Next thing we knew, Robert was at the door again with the plates and a huge smile on his face asking if we needed anything else to make our evening as perfect as possible. We were set for the night and after getting wonderful rest that night we made our way to "cook hall" that next morning for some breakfast. Tiffany the waitress was again top notch. Never allowing our coffee mugs to reach empty and ensuring our food was cooked to perfection. She finished what had been an incredible stay. It's not often that the small things that people do get noticed but after my wife and I had the most wonderful experience we felt that it was only fitting to give credit to the specific staff that made it so. Although we don't travel or stay in hotels much we can definitely say that the W is one that we will visit again when the next trip does come. I cannot say enough about how far above and beyond everyone involved went to make us feel special and to allow us to celebrate our special time together.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool will be quieter when and if they have their Sunday parties. Do the valet...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nmhall6558 - Thank you for choosing to celebrate your Anniversary with us at W Atlanta Buckhead! We take great pride in delivering personalized experiences and our team gets amped up each time we hear about a guest special occasion. This allows us a opportunity to WOW our guests and demonstrate our Whatever/Whenever Service that so many have grown fond of. We'll see you soon for date night :)

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

When I first found out we were staying at The W, the word plush came to mind. My husband compared the room to a cruise ship--tiny. I understand it's meant to be trendy but the awe wears offs quickly. The bathrooms are separated from the room by glass. No privacy and be prepared to take an uncomfortable shower that floods the floor.
Most ironically, my brother(also staying at hotel) who was traveling with his children was asked to sign a whisper agreement. However, around 1:30 in the morning I was awakened by some very loud young ladies in the hall. I thought it would disappear when they entered their room. Then a loud boom shook our door. Our door was repeatedly kicked until I went out in the hall to find people sprawled out drunk on the floor. I had to call security. I heard them say they weren't even hotel guests. The whisper agreement my brother signed said if they disturbed anyone they would have other room charges added to their bill. Where is my compensation for the partygoers who almost beat my door off its hinges or is it just your paying guests who must whisper?

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Holleygrove
Holleygrove - Sorry to hear that your stay was negatively impacted due to noise from other visitors. Every weekend guest is asked to sign a Whisper Agreement during their welcome experience, which outlines our hotels policy regarding noise complaints. We want our guests to live large, but not loud and we take disturbances very seriously. Our Security Team is extremely diligent on ensuring the comfort and safety of all guests and we sincerely apologize that your stay was not as peaceful as planned. Should your travels return you to Atlanta, we hope that you'll consider visiting with us again so that we can further demonstrate exactly what makes W Atlanta Buckhead a top choice for travelers.