“High on Promise; Short on Delivery”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #66 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta
“High on Promise; Short on Delivery”
Reviewed 23 December 2009

My wife and i stayed there for a weekend getaway. We checked in to discover a large amount of people socializing in the lobby with a DJ playing music, which was fine with us. We were there to enjoy ourselves and have a good time. The rooms are very small, the AC very loud, and our minibar was empty. After being told our minibar would not be restocked that night, we decided to go to bed early for a fresh start in the morning.

We could not get a bit of sleep in the hotel. There was the constant thumping of music from the rooftop bar. After the bar closed around 2AM, the partygoers returned and were loud and rude and obnoxious. We called down three times to send someone up to stop the noise. Security came up each time, but every time they left, the noise would return.

This is definitely not a place for peace and quiet or relaxing. Expect a lot of drunk, loud partyers running around the hotel raising havoc.

Will definitely not return.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I travel to Atlanta from New Orleans a few times a year to shop and visit friends. I always stay in Buckhead. The W Buckhead is everything everyone says a W is -- no surprises. The twist on this location is its version of Whiskey Blue. It seems Atlanta's latetst hot club owner has made his mark here. The location is great for getting around -- close to shopping and great restaurants.

The room itself was sleek and stylish but also constrained. The biggest knock is the lack of a traditional bathroom. I understand the concept and the "look" that the W is going for but the layout works best for the solo traveler or the totally unhibited. The shower (and water pressure) on the other hand was great. The A/C unit was very loud, perhaps a throwback to the hotel's former life as, I believe, a Holiday Inn. Room service is 24hrs and the food very good, but buyer beware. There was a $3 service charge plus a 22% charge on top of taxes.

The club scene really isn't that bad, meaning yes the lobby was packed and the valet line was a pain when we arrived late Friday night, but otherwise it wasn't difficult at all to get all of the rest and relaxation needed. I didn't hear a peep on my floor (9th). Saturday night was slightly slower and Sunday was a breeze. One nice perk is that guests can take the elevator straight to the roof and Whiskey Blue without bothering with the lobby lines.

Figure out what you want before you book a room here. If you like the glamor and style and are in town with the fellas/girls this is the spot. If you're a little more laid back and conservative try the Westin around the corner and walk over to the W when the moment grabs you.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmitchb
GA
Reviewed 18 December 2009

The W was a perfect place for my companies holiday meeting. The hotel is well appointed and the service was outstanding. Convenient location and great nightlife at Whisky Blue. I would highly recommend for a business or social gathering.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Tennessee
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I stayed at the W @ Buckhead just before the holidays. The service was outstanding, the food was great, the all the attendants were friendly and helpful. One person in particular by the name of Willie Macklin was super awesome. One night, I had a drink in the lobby and inadvertently left my credit card in the bill folder. I left the hotel for the evening, not realizing what I had done. When I returned at midnight, he verified my name and told me what I had done and said he took my card to my room. I was speechless and intensely grateful because I had planned on doing my Christmas shopping with that card. I am still speechless and grateful that there are still some honest people in the world like Mr. Macklin. Thank you sooo much!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Austin
Reviewed 16 November 2009

If you want your quiet, boring, uptight, typical hotel...this is not the place for you! If you want a unique experience and see a different side of Buckhead, then look no further! For the traveler who wants something a little more than the normal pace of life...make your reservation today!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 9 November 2009

If you like gel in your hair, tight ribbed shirts and the theme music from Night at the Roxbury, then the W is perfect for you. The beauty of this hotel is striking and the service is very good and accomodating. However, This hotel contains a very popular bar on the roof which attracts a party scene the envelops the entire hotel. For example, "club music" was playing in the room next door until 6:30am. There was even a sign in our hallway, that stated, "shh, some people have left the party early." That should tell you something. The rooms are small and if you like sharing intimate moments with your guest in the bathroom, then you will love the pitifully small bathrooms. Hungover guests pilfur the common areas in the mornings and you have to smell the party dripping from them in the elevator. I actually read something similar to this in a prior review but since the other reviews were ok, I passed it up thinking perhaps simply another persnicikty travel reviewer and gave it no weight. My mistake. Please take heed if you are considering this property at all. I am in my 30s and all for a good time, but this place is simply nausiating. However, if you are coming to Atlanta to party all night long, have no interest in sleeping, don't like hotels rooms that are quiet, enjoy going to the bathroom beside your significant other, then give these folks a call. Oh yeah, the beds are real nice too.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank whitleybh
Biddeford, ME
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I stay in Buckhead 4-6 times a year and always stay at the Intercontinental (or Courtyard when IC is booked). This stay we all booked the W because someone in our group heard it was fun. Never again. It was very pricey, more so than the IC, and the bathroom is terrible. The toilet and shower are cramped in a tiny room with an opaque pocket door. Fortunately I had the room to myself, but it would have been almost unworkable if I had to share a room. The bathroom sink doesn't have any counterspace so all your "stuff" has to sit on the floor or on the toilet seat.

Overall the room must have been designed by a bachelor. If you are a female traveling (and have any bathroom routine outside of a toothbrush), you will have a difficult time getting ready. Be prepared for your cosmetics to fall on the floor, spill, break, etc while you have fun juggling them as you get ready for the day or evening. If you are traveling with anyone, I hope you don't mind seeing their silouette sitting on the toilet and hearing the sound effects through the paper thin pocket door.

On a positive note, the restaurant was good. I had the best burger I've ever eaten, but you can eat there without staying at the hotel. Stay at the IC and walk down the street for a great burger.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business