Having hiked the breathtaking and excruciating Hanakapia'i trail in Kaua'i (Hawai'i) we thought we'd give Los Cahorros a try. Not having seen any pictures on the internet beforehand, we didn't know what to expect, but we were excited about the hanging bridges.
1) First of all, the hanging bridges are a joke, except for the third one, which is the longest one. However you have to cross so quickly (only four people at a time, and people are waiting after you!) that you can't really stop and take it in. I have the fear of heights (vertigo too) and I wasn't even scared at the third bridge.
2) Narrow gorge : it's nice, but an easy walk if you're in good shape.
3) The second half of the hike (after the gorge) is nice, but there's nothing much to see. You also get to a point where there's a fence that implicitly says you have to turn back... but you actually have to go around it.
4) The very last part is tricky because you get to a point where you have three path options. Thank God two of them are dead-ends after a few minutes, so the third one we took was the right one!
5) I need to mention we had a pdf guide on our phone, which helped a lot to situate ourselves and get guidance, but even that guide wasn't clear.
6) We expected a bit of a cardio workout, but there was none. This is good for older people or people with medical conditions, but if you're in good shape, an avid hiker and expect a physical challenge in this, forget it.
7) The drive from Malaga was nice, Monachil is a charming village.
8) We regretted having used a day for this hike. We should have went to nearby Ronda instead.
9) If you have a long stay in Malaga or close, then definitely do this hike. But if, like us, you're only staying for a few days, then go somewhere else!
10) Bring water, food, sunscreen and go early for cooler weather. Wear good shoes (not necessary to have hiking shoes), forget about flip flops.
11) With stopping, taking pictures, and looking for our way twice, it took us around 3 hours.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.