“Absolutely fantastic trip - Excellent, professional guides”

Spanish Highs Mountain Guides
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Lanjaron
More attraction details
Owner description: Join in on one of our regular weekly day walks in a choice of superb hiking locations in Andalucia. Every week day throughout the year we have something hikes to suit. Those who take regular hill walks should manage these treks. Good health and reasonable fitness are important. Hikes near Granada, Seville and in the Alpujarras. Specific day hikes (Oct to June inclusive) are 1.Walking White Villages, Alpujarras 2.Mountains of the Cumbres Verdes, Granada 3.Hiking the GR48 path, Sierra de Aracena, near Seville 4.Pine Forests and Refuges of the upper Alpujarras 5.Sierra de Huetor 6.Round of the Taha de Pitres, Alpujarras Summer (July and August) mountain climbs 1. Mulhacen and Siete Lagunas (Tues & Thurs) 2. Veleta and Cerro de los Machos (Mon & Wed)
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having just completed a 2 day expedition to the summit of Mulhacén (at just under 3500m, the highest mountain on Spain's mainland) I would thoroughly recommend Richard and Spanish Highs for any kind of adventure, particularly exploring the vast Sierra Nevada.

We reached the summit on the second day, but on the way also summitted Alacazaba, bivvy'ed next to a lake, saw the Milky Way + a couple of satellites whizzing around, and traversed the treacherous north face of Mulhacén, all experiences I won't forget.

Excellent trip, already planned the next one.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I spent a great day with Richard learning the basics of walking with crampons, ice pick usage and self arrest. The course was informative and Richard is a most patient and professional teacher. An all round fun and useful day and highly recommended.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was part of a motley group of 6 guided around 3 separate areas of the Sierra Nevada by Richard and Kiersten (and on the last day, joined by David and Anna, some friends of theirs visiting from Guernsey). Although I think their services are generally targeted at experienced bush walkers, mountaineers and extreme-sport types, our group had 3 lovely & varied days of fairly gentle walks (between 8 and 14km over 5-6 hours per day). Richard and Kiersten helped us experience the variety and beauty of the Sierra Nevadas, and arranged our pickup and drop back at Granada and our accommodation (with plenty of tips for food and drink) in Lanjaron. Highly recommended for a few days of peace and beauty, doing something a bit different.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My friends and I spent three days walking with Richard and Kirsten in May 2014. It was a wonderful experience. Three very different walks were selected by Richard to suit our requirements and capacities. The first walk in the Las Arenales and Dilar Valley, Cumbres Verdes gave us an experience of walking through a diverse landscape of forest and almost desert. Amazing views! The second walk traversed the Taha del Pitres in the Alpujarras and gave us the experience of walking on a medieval road and through old villages. Again amazing views and an unforgettable experience. The third walk was the Rio Chico, Puente Palo, Sierra Nevada - a high walk that provided a very different experience to the first two.

Richard and Kirsten were adaptable, knowledgeable, and very friendly guides. They arranged accommodation at a lovely hotel in Lanjaron, provided advice, transport and general good humour during our time together.

I can't recommend this company highly enough. I'd love to do more trips with them. Thanks for a great experience!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We spent three fantastic days with Spanish Highs in May. We were a group of six and our walks were tailor made to suit us - duration, altitude, low level, mid or high level. We walked in the Cumbres Verdes, Taha del Pitres and around Rio Chico. These areas offer high mountains, beautiful pine forests, streams, waterfalls and picturesque white mountain villages. It was my first time to the Sierra Nevada and I absolutely loved it. Our guides Richard and Kirsten were both very professional and also great company. I can really recommend going with them!