“Really Great Meal, Service can be a Problem”
Review of Rincon de Velilla

Rincon de Velilla
Ranked #190 of 261 Restaurants in Almunecar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Waitstaff
Dallas, Texas
“Really Great Meal, Service can be a Problem”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We have run hot and cold on Rincon over the past few years. We've had some dreadful evenings where the food hasn't been great and the service has been appalling...we've also had some amazing meals with delightful service. After too many of the former, we'd avoided it for a couple of years but gave it another go in the past month. While service can still be a little too relaxed (tables not cleaned off, long waits for placing orders and delivering food) the quality of the food has brought us back a few times and I am quite warming to the place. We won't go if it looks busy, but one can get a truly excellent meal at a very good price, so it's worth a little patience.

On a recent visit, I had the menu del dia which is a great value. Something that impressed me was that the salad that came with the menu was not just a bit of lettuce and veg tossed on a plate, but a beautifully presented dish that appealed to both my taste buds and my eyes. Main courses were not large, but were hot and tasty. I really appreciate that all of the meals were served with nicely cooked vegetables, something that is rare in Spain. I am a particular fan of the salmon which I highly recommend. My daughter-in-law went for the burger and she enjoyed it so much she ordered it again on our next visit.

Rincon is a big hit with the expat crowd and we found ourselves sitting in the sunshine on a mild January afternoon with a mini United Nations. The atmosphere was very convivial and people were chatting as we finished our meals and sat in the sunshine with cups of coffee.

The young waiter is a nice guy and is very friendly and pleasant, but I think when they get too busy, folks get overwhelmed. Pick a time when it's not full, and you will likely have a wonderful meal.

• Visited January 2014

London
“Great food”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Always have a fantastic meal here as we are a group of 12 and we just stay until late and the service is superb

Visited May 2013
Ontario, Canada
“Good food most of the time if you can get it.”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Rincon is under new management or perhaps I should say mismanagement. We have been there three times the past few weeks and the last trip was the the last time I will set foot in the restaurant. On our first two visits the food ranged from good to very good but the service was very poor. The waitress serving us was "brusque". She poured me a glass of red wine that was obviously off and was almost offended when I pointed it out. The wine was replaced from a new bottle and was fine. There is a young man working as a waiter and if you get him you are most fortunate.

On our last visit the place was not all that busy and a few of the tables that did have people were leaving. It took nearly 20 minutes to get the waitress to come to our table. She took our drink order and disappeared for another 10 minutes. So 30 minutes after arriving our drinks showed up and our waitress disappeared again. She eventually came back to take our order. I ordered a starter of gambas pil pil since that was the evening special. My wife opted for no starter. She ordered a main course of salmon and I chose a chicken dish.

At this point we had been in the restaurant for at least 45 minutes and had each managed to secure a glass of wine. In spite of our request no bread had been delivered, very unusual in a Spanish restaurant. My starter came and I again requested some bread to go with it. By now the theme of the disappearing waitress must be pretty obvious and she did not disappoint. My first taste of my dish was a shock. It tasted like hot water that someone had emptied a salt shaker into and it was inedible. After several attempts we got the attention of the indifferent waitress and she took the dish away to replace it. The new starter appeared and the best that can be said is that it wasn't awful. At no point was any bread ever brought. We had now been in the restaurant for well over an hour and things continued downhill. Our waitress came back to the table and informed me that they actually had no chicken left and I should pick something else. You would think that that bit of information would have come back from the kitchen as soon as I placed my order. Even better a well managed kitchen should have informed the staff that they were out of the key ingredient for several of their dishes. I really didn't care for the other items on the menu that evening and we decided to leave. At that point our waitress quite indignantly informed my wife that the chef was nearly finished preparing her fish. It makes me wonder why they would prepare her dish without even knowing what I might order order. We should have insisted on leaving. However, my wife liked the salmon, it was supposedly ready so we decided to let them bring it and I would simply not order a main course. Another delay ensued before the supposedly already prepared salmon arrived. At that point I was pretty ticked off and we agreed that I would just leave and my wife would finish up and join me.

I walked across the street to Tropical a wonderful chiringuito on the beach. I ordered a fantastic pollo al ajillo that was being placed on my table by the friendly, attentive staff as my wife arrived. Our evening ended well as we discussed the chaos of Rincon de Vellia. It was total amateur hour. My wife told me that at the end of her meal there was an apology for the absolute disaster they made of our evening but it was the young Argentinian waiter who delivered it. I doubt that our waitress even cared.

We gave them 3 times to sort out the service and they simply aren't up to it. There will be no fourth. We will just go to Tropical where they already know how to run a restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Superb value ...”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This restaurant offers well cooked tasty food at incredibly reasonable prices, and free Wi-Fi. We ordered two gin & tonics when we arrived and were given four!! (Buy one get one free!) We started with prawns piri-piri, followed by Chicken in Cream sauce and Pasta - both delicious! Add to that 2 glasses of wine and the whole thing cost us a total of €28. We will be back ...

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Lewienew
whitstable
“dont bother”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Went for lunch with my wife,most of the tables were reserved,found one that was not.We sat and waited,and waited,there were five other english people sat at a table with there drinks.We sat with nothing.A bald headed male came out of the restaurant all dressed in white, we assumed he was the owner,he started chatting to the five people on the other table but ignored us.After another five minutes a guy came out dressed in black,we think he was a waiter.The same as us! He also ignored us but chatted to the famous five and we waited,after twenty minutes + we decided to go else where to eat.My advice to you is if you like FOOD +DRINKS for your lunch combined with some service DONT BOTHER go somewhere else.

• Visited September 2011