“Shame you are Arsenal Fans”
Review of Taberna Ayer

Taberna Ayer
Ranked #1 of 287 Restaurants in Almunecar
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: International, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Great new Taberna Ayer, always serving fresh cooked produce,See our fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor or find us on Facebook. Now with a full menu including many old favorites and some great new sharing plates and our evening grill menu, still serving great coffee, homemade cakes, beers, wines and cocktails. Please be advised that Friday & Saturdays we CLOSE at 5pm & re-open at 7:30pm **** Closed on Mondays ****
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Good honest food and drink. Steve and Tracy are very friendly and very helpful. Café Ayer became my regular café due to good sandwiches drinks and the free Wi-Fi.

I would not say that it is just an English café just because the owners are English. The menu is varied and the place seems fairly steady compared to others in the vicinity so something must be right.

1  Thank john k

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Once again we were in Almuñecar for a 10 day visit of family and friends. We just had to pop in and say 'hello' to the folks in Café Ayer. Such nice memories......we were NOT disappointed. The food is as it always was *excellent*, the coffee superb same as the cocktails. Thank you Steve and Tracy for the kind & friendly service......nothing has changed...thank heavens. We thouroughly enjoyed the time we spent at Cafe Ayer. We know you work very hard but you've always made every visit enjoyable to all your customers. Take care, hope to see you both next time.

1  Thank joe3beans
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Reading the reviews I really thought we are going to have something special… It was just an ordinary English cafe in Spain. I really wished Ayer would have been something more. Do not get me wrong, I do not have anything against English or English cafes! But reading the reviews and owners replies in Tripadvisor, I was expecting something else. Later, reading the not- so- flattering reviews I have to say I agree with most of them. Also I think the attitude of the owners is not very good – they seem to argue with all the critical comments they get. Not a smart move from an entrepreneur.

The staff is not the friendliest, but they do their job well. We did not feel extremely welcome – a warm smile would have done it! Maybe you have to be a regular to get a smile? We chose the most expensive option for breakfast, the English Breakfast since we were hungry. It was OK, but just OK. Something a little bit of extra would have been great- an iberian sausage/ a piece of morcilla would have been a good move since the cafe wants so much to be an international cafe.

Coffee was as OK. We got a piece of cake with coffee, that was good! Awesome cake! I bet all their cakes are great! I went inside to take a look at the cakes (to check if there would be something to take home) nothing intresting or well-placed in sight, displayed.

I had a feeling the owners / staff is a bit tired of running the cafe?? They are in need for new ideas, holiday, new staff? The cafe and the idea is great, but something is missing at the moment. And what ever and how strongly you try to point out in your answers to reviews that your cafe is international, it seems like a English cafe. You really have to do some concrete actions to make it international.

We will visit Ayer again and taste the paninis! It is not a bad place - it is a good cafe. Three stars.

9  Thank MrsM-7
costafortuna, Owner at Taberna Ayer, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your review. The reason we respond to negative un-constructive reviews is due to the fact that they are generally untrue. To state that you were served unprofessionally and without a smile falls into that category.To offer your opinion on our mental state is laughable, as is your repeated English cafe references (you clearly have never been in an English Cafe). We are extremely proud of our status as a Cafe the fact that we are English should be irrelevant, as it obviously is to the reviewer above! and 99% of all other great reviews.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

All previous reviews have said it all really. It is a great, wonderfully situated little café bar where the food is freshly prepared to order and is of the highest quality as are the owners Steve and Tracey. They and their staff are really genuine, helpful and friendly people offering a great service. The menu includes paninis, salads to die for, sandwiches, wraps plates of cheeses, meats etc. The drinks on offer are as you would expect of a high quality and I must mention the home made lemon cake, the apple cake and I have never had such wonderful carrot cake, which for me is unbeatable as is the whole concept of Café Ayer. The only black mark is that Steve is an Arsenal supporter but it makes for great conversation!!

1  Thank DEGSYBRO
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Probably the best place in Almuñecar to eat a late breakfast. They have a wide choice of sandwiches, coffee and cakes. We were 3 people and we tried the cappuccinos, sandwich with jamon and cheese. I recommend the sandwich with grilled pepper, it was divine. We finish the meal with a apple cake (delicious) and brownies with ice cream. I must admit I never ate brownies as good as this, if you go there try it. The owner explained us it was a british recipe and they make it there. Well, continue the good work.

Speaking of the owner, the service was great, fast and always with a smile. they made us feel good there while eating a delicious breakfast.

We returned later for a snack, the combination of tapas for 6 or 7 euros (I don't remember exactly) was both delicious and fulfilling. The price/quantity/quality ratio is unbeatable.

If you are in Almuñecar come here!

1  Thank João A