“Unique day out, worth the drive!”

Pena Escrita Natural Park
Ranked #23 of 52 things to do in Almunecar
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am not a zoo fan, but was pleasantly surprised here as I believe many are rescue animals. The location is fantastic, high up on a mountain top, with great views; the animals looked well fed and healthy, although some of the enclosures could perhaps use a bit more imagination. The park is well spaced out up a steep mountain side, but luckily you can drive your car up and make stops as you move towards the summit.

There is a restaurant, and holiday cabins to rent but I cannot comment on either as I didnt use.

A unique day out!

Reviewed 16 September 2013

A long windy drive up into the mountain with very steep roads but well worth it. No need for a four wheel drive. A lot of lovely animals, all look fit and well with plenty of room.
Take the car and stop at the varies cages, too much of a hill to walk all the way as the park is spaced out over a long distance.
restaurant was closed out of season

1  Thank Monde37Aberdeen
Reviewed 9 September 2013

If the animals had enough or proper food, this zoo would be a great attraction. It is situated high up in the Sierra at the end of a spectacular 11km drive to the north of Almunecar. Take some fresh fruit and/or vegetables and when no one is looking, feed the other inhabitants. Do NOT give them junk food or salt or sugar etc. Do NOT feed them pink and white oleander or its leaves,it is poisonous. One of the bears was painstakingly fishing dead yellow leaves out of the water and eating them. A family discussing this thought the bear was drinking water. Another bear sniffed at what appeared to be pig's ears in the feeding area. I had forgotten to dispose of my rubbish bag and still had it with me. I lobbed all the rind from a piel de sapo melon into the cage, the bears gladly ate the pieces then looked up at me. The bears are intelligent unlike the cunning, fat, glossy, well fed tigers and lions lazing in their huge comfortable enclosures. I had no more fruit or vegetables with me, peelings had already been eaten by others.The eland is huge and lonely by itself with straw to eat. Two little meercats keep each other company (in the wild they live in colonies of up to 30) and ran forward to beg. I think they eat eggs,scorpions, reptiles,rodents,fruit, insects,worms, none of which I had to give them. The wallabies and the porcupines too have razed every blade of edible green in their enclosures and trodden barren earth remains. The baby wild boar were so cute that we wanted to take them home, but they would grow up to be bristly bad tempered wild hogs. The emus had been attacked around their bottoms with feathers pecked out. They also followed hungrily but I had nothing left to give them. I will return.
There are two restaurants in the park, one was closed although the table clothed tables were laid. There is an open air swimming pool. There are wooden cabins to rent.

1  Thank dumpe
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Amazing day out for the entire family. It wasn't crowded as I don't think most people are up for the 12km+ drive from Almunecar on the VERY twisty road. But it is completely worth the drive! And come ready to swim at the end as hardly anyone was there. It's a huge pool and there is a restaurant too. Our kids loved seeing the variety of animals - hippo, wolves, porcupines, hyenas, camel, horses, bears, tigers and more. No one was there to collect money, so we paid when we went swimming. Amazing drive.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 July 2013

A fantastic setting up a mountain (1300 mts above sea level) A twisty road but all concrete or tarmac. well signposted form Almunecar The first animals you meet are the Hippo. Ostriches Wolves.We found it easyer to drive drive from cage to cage.Its a steep road. There is cabins you can stay .resteraunt swimming pool. fantastic views Lots of animals. All well looked after and have lots of space to roam about. Well worth a visit. Its better than any zoo I have been to.