“Right Next To The Bridge.”
Review of The Old Manse

and up
Go Boston Card
Ranked #7 of 33 things to do in Concord
More attraction details
Owner description: The first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired nearby – and, less than a century later, Emerson, Hawthorne, and Thoreau spawned a revolution in American philosophy from here.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Beautiful grounds and home. Only reason for the 4 stars was because there was a shortage of personnel and we could not go inside for a tour. However, I know that it would be a 5 star attraction. From the home and grounds one can see the Old North Bridge.

1  Thank montalker

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've been something of a fan of the Transcedentalists for many years, so it was a thrill to walk the grounds. There is a small bookstore with a very representative collection of works from Thoreau, Emerson, Hawthorne and Margaret Fuller. The garden originally laid out by Thoreau had already sprouted on this mid-May day. We did not tour the house itself (for me, all of these old New England homes have a disappointing sameness). $9 entry fee. (interesting to note that one of the tours was sold out on this May Saturday; I suspect it could be busy in Summer)
We walked up Monument from town to Old Manse, then across Northbridge to Liberty St. and then back to town. It was a very pleasant 2 1/2 to 3 mile walk

1  Thank 1Rahhalatun
Reviewed 2 February 2014

After stretching your legs with a walk at Northbridge head to the Manse. We did. Not expecting too much we thought we would just peek in but the bookstore was amazing and we decided to take the tour. Very interesting especially if you love Emerson, Hawthorne, and Thoreau. Especially the poetry carved in glass and the writing desks.

3  Thank delcampbell
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Our tour guide was AWFUL! My boyfriend and I were the last tour at 4pm and he was trying to convince us not to take it so he could go home early! We had to insist on going through because we were interested in the house and the time Hawthorne spent in it. He was cranky the whole time through, gave us no information, and pouted the whole time! Unbelievable coming from a 60 year old man! I will go again next year in the hopes of being able to enjoy a tour with someone else. Cost was $9, $8 with a student ID (I think).

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This interesting historic home was built by a preacher's wife. Later Nathaniel Hawthorne rented the home for a while; his wife actually etched things into certain windowpanes. The wallpaper in this house is fascinating; in some rooms, it is original; and, at a minimum, they have samples of the original wallpaper, which is very old. Our tour guide, Reggie, was very knowledgeable.