“A Period Piece for Alcott Fans”
Review of Orchard House

American History Tour: Cambridge, Lexington and Concord Day Trip from Boston
Ranked #3 of 31 things to do in Concord
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Family home where Louisa May Alcott wrote and set "Little Women."
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The home of Louisa May Alcott features a great deal of historical detail from the period, but the tour focuses on such minutia that only true fans of the author and her books are likely to remain interested through the end. Much original furniture provides a great glimpse of life in the era, but the tour would be more interesting to the casual traveler if it provided more of a generalist's overview of the author and her place in history, and a bit less of the tiny details of her family events. My companion and I darted out the side exit about four minutes into the extended discussion of yarn.

There are newer reviews for Orchard House

Reviewed 24 May 2014

It was interesting enough, but it is a guided tour, which takes a little longer than I would have liked. I'm certain that true Luisa May Alcott and/or Little Women fans would absolutely adore it!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've passed this house hundreds of times, living in a town next to Concord, never stopping before. However, it took a visiting niece from out-of-state - who absolutely loves the works of Louisa May Alcott - to get me to visit. It was well worth it. The tour included a short video about Louisa and then a personal tour throughout the house for the next 30 minutes. Our guide was very informative and just very nice to listen to. She really helped us to learn about the times of the Alcotts and about the personalities of the family. I had known a little bit about the Alcott family, but the tour really helped to illuminate the world of this remarkable woman-writer and her family in a very personal way. I think, just walking through the house could easily help you imagine what Louisa was thinking when she wrote her famous book. I would not mind going again. This certainly is a 'must place to visit' when visiting the town of Concord.

1  Thank radio66
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is a must see in Concord. Come, enjoy and image what life was like in the mid 1800's. You'll also learn about transcendentalism -- and then go visit First Parish church.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have been a life long fan of Louisa May Alcott and Little Women remains my favourite book of all time. Whilst visiting my daughter in NH I decided to take the drive of 100 miles to discover Orchard House. Suffice it to say I was not disappointed,! Infact I could have done the tour all over again once it had finished. The guide was lively and informative and I felt like I had stepped back in time once inside the home of the Alcott family. I especially loved the art work on the walls that had been done by May the sister of Louisa.. My husband said that I looked the cat that had got the cream!! Want to do it all again.

1  Thank Jamfan94

Been to Orchard House? Share your experiences!