“Beautiful history” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery
Ranked #5 of 31 things to do in Concord
More attraction details
Owner description: Nineteenth-century luminaries such as Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau are buried here.
long island, ny
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Beautiful history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stopped here after visiting Minute Man NHP nearby. This is gorgeous old cemetery. We visited in July but I'm sure it would be even prettier in the fall. Author's Ridge contains the graves of Alcott, Thoreau, Emerson and Hawthorne. You can park close to this BUT be warned it is a very steep (but short) walk up to the ridge. There is a railing for help, but this wouldn't be good for the elderly or those in poor health.

2 Thank beth84

Plattsburgh, New York, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“"Thoreau"lly enjoyed it!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The four gravesites of Thoreau, Emerson, Hawthorne, and Alcott was very interesting in their simplicity, with Nathaniel Hawthornes marker only saying "Hawthorne". Coins, jewelry, pebbles, pens, pencils and written notes were strewn atop these stones left by admirers of their literary works. Not easy walk, nor handicap accessible because it is on a ridge in a Cemetery dating back to 1700’s.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Lovely Historic Cemetery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is a beautiful cemetery located on rolling hills with some very historic graves including those of authorsThoreau, Emerson, and Alcott. If you enjoy a quiet walk through a quiet tree-lined cemetery , make this a stop while you are in Concord.

Salem, Massachusetts
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Literary Reflection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Honestly, this was a random stop. I visit lots of cemetery's and happened to be in the area for a job interview. I stopped at an old cemetery downtown as I passed by (it's a hobby) and realized that I was actually in Concord. I knew of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and recalled the historical and literary significance of the town. Specifically, I remembered that one of my all time favorite authors, Louisa May Alcott was buried here, so I decided to make the short drive after my interview in Acton. As I am a writer myself, I thought it would be something I should not miss while I was so close by.
Sleepy Hollow Cemetery is just lovely, with hills and a the same peacefulness that comes with any cemetery. I weaved around the quiet cemetery roads, following the signs for 'Author's Ridge'. There is a little climb up an incline, but nothing too strenuous. It was relatively quiet on my visit apart from a photographer who left when I arrived, and a few tourists that turned up as I left. The graves each had small gifts from previous visitors, including lots of foliage and sometimes notes, trinkets, and little other mementos. I was so taken with it that I decided I couldn't finish my literary visit there and went on to visit the Alcotts Orchard House, which was only minutes away. I also stopped at the Ralph Waldo Emerson house to discover it was closed on the day I was there.
Either way, if you are a taphophile (tombstone tourist), literary nerd, or historical nerd, I would recommend this stop if you are in Concord. What a great town for historical and literary travel.

1 Thank AuthorAmberNewberry
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Quiet and peaceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Grave sites of Thoreau, Emerson, Hawthorne and Alcott. Visitors had brought bits of nature to place on the Thoreau gravesite.