“Great appetizers and service”
Review of Trails End Cafe

Trails End Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Trails End Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 53 Restaurants in Concord
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Trail's End Cafe is proud to serve carefully crafted comfort food, homemade from thoughtfully sourced ingredients. We are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We also offer catering. Come eat in our beautiful dining room, or take your meal to go! We have a full bar with 8 beers on tap, a great wine list, and delicious cocktails.
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Enjoyed the interesting and variety of the food. Had brussel sprouts, fish pate, calamari...all very good. Also a decent wine and beer selection. They also had a live bad that was not too loud and added to the evening. The prices were very affordable.

My only knock would be on the decor. Somewhere between hospital cafeteria meets pub. (sorry for that but thats the vibe I got.)

Reviewed 7 January 2018

By hidden gem, I mean it. This place is tucked in with a gas station. If it weren't for the recommendation from the ladies at Orchard House, I would've driven right by. I'm glad I listened to their suggestion. This place is fabulous!

We stopped in for a late lunch - just ahead of their closing for the afternoon, so it took a bit for them to notice us and get us a table. The picky-eater in our group was excited at the breakfast options for lunch. They also had a couple of daily special quiche options. I chose the salmon tacos, and I did not leave disappointed.

The seating area is rustic chic. There were a few other patrons dining at the time, but we did not feel crowded by other tables.

Don't skip the bakery! We left with a pumpkin whoopie pie, a homemade oatmeal cream pie, and a cream-filled chocolate cupcake for evening desserts. The selection was impressive!

1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 6 January 2018

This place started as not much more than a hole-in-the-wall take-out place with a modicum of seating. Now it offers sit-down dining and two bars, with good service and decent food to match. It's a regular midday stop for us. And it's just a short walk from Concord Center.

1  Thank 332pjp
Reviewed 30 October 2017

It took over 15 minutes before our waiter stopped by the table. It also took a long time to get our food. I ordered a salad with chicken. The salad was very good but they forgot the chicken. We split a morning glory muffin and it was very good.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

When people ask if I'd ever own a restaurant I roll my eyes and emphatically say never. Why? Because a lapse in judgement by anyone from the chef to the server can blow up all the built up good will.

First off, Trail's End Cafe is a good restaurant, possibly even a very good one. We shared the Caesar Salad and it was a good portion of very fresh lettuce with a dressing that was flavorful, although a bit over anchovy'd. The use of panko instead of croutons gave the whole dish an unexpectedly gritty texture. We also shared the salad and I felt it was too small to share. As a single serving it was the right size and price. The entrees were a step up - my "old school" Bolognese was very good and my wife's roasted half chicken was moist and covered in crispy skin. The couple to the left of us was there before us and left after and made a whole meal from their "sharing plates" of which there are many choices. Desserts were somewhat limited but were well executed - my wife had a pumpkin custard and I had the brownie sundae. Throughout the meal the staff at the bar (where we were seated) was attentive and friendly.

But here is where the story gets off the rails. On this visit we came without a reservation and was prepared to sit at the bar or wait. We arrived at 530 to a nearly empty dining room, yet the bar areas were fairly full. We asked for a table and were told that the restaurant was full but seating was available in either of the two bars. We asked if there was a table available if we shortened our meal to accommodate an incoming reservation. The hostess said there was one table available but we'd have to be out within an hour. We decided that was a bit too fast and we took seats at the bar. Over the next 90 minutes at least half of the lower dining room (visible from the bar) and several tables in the lower bar area were empty. Maybe 6-8 tables no-showed, maybe they were coming after 7PM, maybe they were short-staffed and couldn't serve all the tables and so directed us (and several other couples who arrived after us) to the bar. Or maybe the hostess lied to us. Hard to say, but between the time we got there and the time we left we could have had a table with time to spare.

Did it ruin dinner? Not at all. We like sitting at restaurant bars.

Did it damage the credibility of Trail's End? Absolutely. It was an inexcusable lapse in judgement by the front of the house who let the owners down.

We will certainly return - because the food is good and Concord is a charming town west of Boston.

Been to Trails End Cafe? Share your experiences!