“Just a bad day?”

Comella's
Ranked #23 of 48 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I'm surprised in reading the reviews at how much people love this place, as we had a terrible experience. We were visiting from out of town and thought it looked like a fun place, so stopped for lunch- I have a food allergy which I identified upon ordering and specifically asked if the dressing on the salad I was having was ok- the person taking the order checked with the chef and came back and said it was fine. Upon receiving the salad, I again walked back up to the counter because I was concerned about the dressing and was repeatedly told that it was fine for my allergy. I took a small taste of the dressing and realized I indeed was correct in being wary as I began to have a reaction within moments. In the time while I was dealing with the dressing, my husband was eating his pasta with sausage and realized that the sausage had not been cooked through. We left promptly so I could take a bunch of benadryl to handle my reaction. To his credit, the guy taking the order was great about checking multiple times with the kitchen, but whoever was cooking obviously didn't know what they were doing.

1  Thank Katie M

Reviewed 29 April 2014

For what it is, an easy neighborhood pasta restaurant to run to early with the kids, it meets all my expectations. There's just one issue I have; the plates are too small. I don't get it. They pile on the food but put it on a lunch size plate. The sauce then runs over the edge and one has to be careful cutting the food or it will slip off the plate. Buy Italian pasta bowls. Please.
Keep in mind there is no table service. You must order at the counter.
When in town, we'll go back. It happens to be the second best food in Concord, after the much more expensive alternative by the train station.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Thankfully, Comella's has reopened in Concord! We take-out at Comella's once a week for dinner, and we are never disappointed. While the renovation was occurring, my family suffered from my attempts at eggplant parm--but no longer! Welcome back, Comella's in Concord!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I'm a Jersey girl from an Italian family. I know good food and I know good Italian food. This food is great. The flavors meld together in the dish and melt in your mouth. Everything is good. Pizza, too. Mangia and enjoy!

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stopped by this restaurant to eat one night prior to a play.
A member of our group called and asked if they took reservations, they employee told them "No, but since it is a Saturday night, be aware that we have lines out the door starting at 4 pm". OK.

We got there around 5 and walked right in.
Nobody else was in the restaurant.

We took a seat and eventually someone yelled over to us to go up to them and order whenever we were ready.

It started with some mis-communication about wine. They graciously took back the wine we didn't order on purpose and was able to give something palatable.

Three of us ordered water....which never came.
Apparently, hidden behind a stack of take out boxes is a sign that says help yourself. There are little plastic cups and a pitcher over there too.

Three orders of soup came first.
One bowl was stone cold. Not sure how that happens, but it did.

Then came the entrees, we had ordered:
a 1/2 loaf of garlic bread Personally, I feel it could have been warmer...but the taste was yummy.

Fettuccini Alfredo: the best dish on the table. The Alfredo sauce was creamy and delicious.

Spaghetti and a meatball: WARNING...meatballs are massive here! My daughter ate only the meatball. She said something tasted "off" and refused to eat the pasta or sauce.

Cheese ravioli: I forgot to ask her how she liked it, but she finished it, so I assume it was good.

Sweet Potato ravioli: She ate most of them, but said she had thought there was going to be more of a sweet potato taste.

For the whole time we were there, 2 other parties came in. Not the "hopping" Saturday night they warned us about.
Made me wonder after all the snafoos we experienced.

But then again, watching their take out business had me thinking too...
I saw as many as 15 pizzas going out at once! I think I will come back, give it another shot, and try their pizza.

From what I am told, they are moving from the old house they are in now down to a Main St store front. Once they get settled, I will be back to try!

As a side note....all the servers were very, very polite!

Been to Comella's? Share your experiences!