“A Mediocre Thanksgiving”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We were very excited to spend Thanksgiving at the historic Colonial Inn. When we arrived to check in for our reservation, there were guests waiting for tables overflowing into the same area people were trying to serve themselves from the buffet. It was crowded and unorganized to say the least. The tables were so plain, no candles, flowers.. nothing.. kind of lacking the festive spirit of an old inn and the holiday itself. Our waiter was ok, kind of a smartass, but none the less served us our drinks in a timely manner. The buffet was messy, the salads table was a kind of yucky, salad dressing everywhere, stuff looked picked over and runny. The main buffet was fair... again disorganized, food caked all over the utensils, food everywhere. . The squash was soupy, the turkey kind of dry, the paella waaay too salty. The mashed potatoes and lobster bisque were good. They really needed staff stationed as servers to keep the food stocked and the areas cleaned.. It made me feel like I was could have been turned off from eating at any moment,, The desserts were again, just ok. Seemed like things were made too much in advance.. stuff was either melting, or hard.. I should note that I really am not a "foodie" or a picky eater, but at 55 dollars a person, I expected a little more. I am sad to report this.. my expectations were much higher than the quality of the meal..

1  Thank Jewel63

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a very enjoyable brunch today at The Colonial Inn. The food was well presented in the buffet rooms, the service was friendly and attentive, and the ambiance was just delightful. I had done a formal tea years ago, and this was far nicer. Really the only downside is the price. The offerings on the buffet may make that worthwhile; there was smoked salmon, shrimp, roast beef; for a vegetarian who doesn't really want to eat "all you can eat" anyway, it is not a value on the food end.
However, it was worth it as a " special treat" and I very much enjoyed the freshly cooked omelet. The maple vinaigrette salad dressing for the field greens salad was out of this world! And the dessert table was full of good things as well, including huge strawberries with whipped cream.
Not the sort of thing to do frequently, but to start off a grand day out in Concord, perhaps with out of town guests, it far exceeded my expectations.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Following our visit to Orchard House we were in need of sustenance. We made our way here and we were not disappointed. We had a glorious brunch which was tasty and abundant and great value. It's a really lovely building with a great atmosphere. The decor is great too

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Had Sunday brunch with my wife and her family. Food was very good with excellent variety. Service was great for a brunch buffet never had to wait for beverages to be filled or empty plates to be taken away. If you are in the area recommend for brunch.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Greasy, bland and overpriced. Iced tea was watered down. Fish fry was greasy. French fries were not even comparable to fast food.