“From great expectation to disappointment”

Hostal Restaurant La Riera
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Peratallada
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A beautiful outdoor setting in an extremely attractive town one enters this restaurant with great expectations of a dining experience to be remembered; but the comes the disappointment.
I have visited the Costa Brava for many years and am intoxicated by the beaming smiles shop assistants and restaurant servers great you with. At the La Riera however the waitress was as miserable as sin, did she have a china face and was afraid to crack it if she smiled? After a reasonable starter came the main course; I ordered chicken and it was leg of chicken, at least I think it was chicken as I have seen more meat on a pigeons leg than there was on the leg on my plate. The accompanying chips were also notable - less than half a handful, golly was I hungry when I got back to my holiday residence! For drink my wife like Sangria and what was served was more like wine flavoured lemonade.
So all in all a great disappointment for €15 per head.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

The restaurant at La Riera is well worth a visit. The dishes are not especially elaborate but local ingredients are used effectively to formulate tasty dishes. The organic chicken served with prunes was exceptionally moist and tender. Equally the char-grilled asparagus provided a flavoursome and substantial starter.
Portions are quite large and we were unable to make it to a dessert or cheese, although those served to a neighbouring table appeared good.
Unfortunately on the evening we visited there was only one other table so the atmosphere was a little lacking but the vaulted ceiling and the attractive terrace show great promise.
Service was attentive and efficient.

1  Thank TOGtravellerEngland
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Took my wife and in-laws to eat dinner here. This is "Spanish Dinner" so we sat down at 9pm and we were the first guests.....was quite full by 10pm! Very diverse menu with some fantastic local seafood options. If you have not tried Rape (Angler Fish), you should do so. Reminds me of lobster. Deserts all looked great. I highly recommend the coffee ice cream. Best I have ever had. Prices are very reasonable considering the often expensive menus in this part of Catalunya. We fed 5 for 88 euros. Not bad for the high quality of the food...and as much as we ate.

We were personally attended by the owners. Complimentary champagne. Service was excellent. Beautiful bodega-like dining room.....really gets you in the mood!

Four stars is a tough grade....would give it 4.5 if I could! Its tough to earn a "5" in the Girona area, simply because of the competition. The best restaurants in the world are located in this area. Literally.

BTW, this place offers lodging and it seems like a good deal.We did not spend the night, so I have no opinion on the accommodations. The village of Peratallada is a gem.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Excellent attractively priced set menu with imaginative dishes based on local produce; well presented and very enjoyable. Warm welcome from staff.

1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My spouse and I stayed at the La Riera Hostel and Restaurant for four nights in April, 2012. We stayed half board that included our standard double, breakfast and a wonderful three course dinner. Our room was comfortable with a modern bath. Breakfast included fruit yogurt, meats, toast, cheese pastries and coffee. That was pretty standard for Catalonia. As half board guests, we could order a 3 course dinner from most items on the menu, The menu was extraordinary. It appeared that house red or white wine was also included. Half board for 2 was 106 Euros.
Peratallada is a medieval town and a joy to walk around. There are a foot paths that go from town to town and are easy. April was very quiet and there was only one other guest at the hotel, but all the tables were filled for dinner. There was almost no English spoken at the hotel/restaurant, but that did not make any difference. A small tourist office at the town square was helpful if an English speaker was present. The beaches and attractions on the coast are within easy access. Staying and dining at the La Riera will be one of the high points of a visit to Catalonia and the Costa Brava.