“Besalu a town worth stopping for”
Review of Miqve

Miqve
Ranked #4 of 9 things to do in Besalu
Ceret, France
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Besalu a town worth stopping for”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Fabulous place , like a mini Carcassonne , beautifully done and great to walk around. Great restaurants and bars and lots of lovely architecture

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hidden gem of the spain”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I didnt know anything about Girona before Ive been there. Of course I didnt expect at all. Now Girona is one of my favourite city of my Eurotrio. Especially, this area Besalu was amazing.
Beautiful bridge reminded me of the karl bridge in Prague. But Its quieter and smaller. I heard Its appeared in a scene of the movie 'perfume'. It makes me impressed as I love that movie.
following small streets was interesting. lovely souvenir shops, icecream and coffee shop, melody machine plays old pop. I could see the houses with the dusty windows too. Seeing the real house local people live is always gives me a special feeling. The old atmosphere around the whole town attracted me so much.

our guide miquel, who is really love his home town and has a heart take care of trevellers, helped us a lot during our trip. I will never forget that.
you can check this site :
www.gironatrip.com

2 Thank Yeji
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Medieval Gem, With a Local Taste.”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

You can almost smell the history pouring out of the magnificently constructed walls of Besalu. The postcard scenery blew us away. When we arrived, I saw the bridges reflection into the river and the surrounding lush green forest adding to Besalu's medieval presence. Our tour guide, Miquel, showed us some amazing sights around the town, and also introduced to a traditional drink named Ratafia (of course, we bought a bottle!). Inside the town are many surreal artistic twists adding to this unique experience. Miquel told us lots of interesting facts about the area, many of which would spoil the trip if I was to tell you!

If you happen to be in the Girona area, or Barcelona for that matter, do visit this area. It will not disappoint and looks much prettier in person, believe it or not. Try not to spend all your time looking at Besalu through your lense and try to capture its aura in your mind...and make sure you taste the locally brewed Ratafia!

We booked with Miquel through Girona Trips (www.gironatrips.com); a friendly local guide who knows his history and is very enthusiastic and passionate about the area. Definitely to be recommended.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank alsherif
israel
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

walking through the old city of besalu arriving at the ancient synagogue and mikve. walking along the dog legged bridge. lovely couple of hours. tourist info was very helpful

Visited July 2012
Los Angeles, California
239 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 372 helpful votes
“Magical”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

You don't have to be Jewish to appreciate the signficance of this special site, especially if you are interested in history. The Inquisition nearly eradicated all evidence of Jewish life in Spain. It was in 1964 that this Mikvah was discovered (there is a patch on the wall from that discovery)and it dates to 1264! It is located above the remains (not much) of a synagogue. The design follows the traditional Mikvah including the required number of steps.

Besalu is a very beautiful town and having this experience added to our visit to Spain. We took a tour from Barcelona with Kokopeli Tours that included Girona as well. This was a highlight of our time in Spain.

Visited November 2011