“A perfect stay”

Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Las Vegas, NV
“A perfect stay”
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I loved the Sunset Inn. It was really new and I barely had any problems. The outside was seen really new and freshly painted. Inside the room was new towels, linens, microwaves, refridgerators, and brandly new done bathrooms. New bathrooms and patio just makes a perfect stay. They also have a full free breakfast.
Room service was also good. Internet had any problems.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank isbindra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
LA, CA
Reviewed 18 January 2009

This is an amazing place to stay if you have little budget. I recently visited after their renovation and I was quiet surprised that my wife and I loved it.

Parking was convinient and the outdoor had orange colored doors. We entered in room 103, a King deluxe as they would put it. Management was really helpful since we are seniors and we needed lot of help.

As we entered, we saw one half of room painted blue other white/red. The combination looked quite amazing to me and the bathroom sink was granite too. It was really nice to see all that in small room.

The bathtub and tiles were new too. Carpet seemed kind of weary, although it was white, so that is quiet understandable.
Interent was hectc but it worked out for us after manager helped us out. Table for coffee was big too and I liked how thye arranged the furnitures. Bed was big (california king) and very comfortable.

OVerall, it was a nice stay, we had a little problem in it. I would go there again. Fellas, try it out, you will love it!!

• Liked — Room was really nicely remodeled/Bathroom was nice too
  • Disliked — Location was in East side of town
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank fantastics023
Zurich
Reviewed 13 December 2008

After reading here to positiv comments about the motel, i cnld my reservation in the Motel 6 in Barstow. As we (me an my Mom) did only land at about 5pm coming from Zurich, we were only at about 10pm at the hotel. The reception guy was wearing dirty clothes an also had black fingers (he was not a black guy). I was looking for a shower but i was not able to get water, so I called the guy again. And as I saw how he got the water i was afraid that i damage the hole water system, as I had to use al my power to make it working.
Also the Motel was not cleaner then any of our other 7 hotels/motels used during our USA trip... So at the end it was not worth to spend 15$ more only to get in to this motel....

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the shower and the reception
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Lucas D
Northern California and New Mexico
Reviewed 4 October 2008

Have you ever wanted to stop at one of those dinky non-chain hotels on the side of the road, but never did. Me too, until Sunset Inn in Barstow. Based on trip advisor reviews we went for it and were pleasantly surprised. No frills, (no microwave or frig no breakfast, well worn - but clean - towels), but the room was clean, walls solid, the bed comfortable and pets are welcome (10 bucks extra).

In Barstow there is East Main Street with all the neon lights and fast foods and then there is West Main Street with.....The Sunset Inn...so if you don't mind staying on the desolate side of town this place is fine. One tip, pay the with cash if you don't want to have your credit card number written down on the old style credit card slips (no fancy new credit card machine).

Stayed October 2008
12 Thank Keythirteen
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 September 2008

After reading about their recent renovations, I decided to stay at the Sunset Inn for 2 nights. I just needed a place to spend 2 nights while doing some traveling between CA & NV. The hotel is located on the main strip in Barstow, and there are restaurants (local Mexican, Denny's, fast food) and gas stations, convenience stores close by.

I arrived after a very long trip and just wanted to take a shower and go to sleep. I will say the manager is very nice and had everything ready for me.

Get my key (stayed in Rm 101) and go in. Turn on the lights...yes the room is nicely painted and the bathroom and vanity are new and very nice. New tiling on the floor. But the carpet. Wow, I guess either they ran out of money or didn't think it needed to be changed. But in an instant I knew there was no way I was going to be walking around barefoot on there.

Go to take a shower, move the curtain and there is a roach on the side of the tub. Chasing that thing out of the bathroom trying to kill it, I see another one scurrying across the carpet. I'm just thoroughly disgusted. I hate hate hate roaches. Now, i know this isn't the Ritz or the Hilton and I wasn't expecting it to be first class. But I think just being clean is all I would have wanted.

Turn on the water and there is no hot water...finally after about 3-4 minutes of letting the water run, I finally get some hot water and take my shower. By the time I get out, now I'm paranoid of something else and checked over the bed. Thankfully everything was fine and it was even comfortable to sleep on.

The next night when I returned after being out all day I was relieved to see there were no roaches.

So, in closing:
Pluses - bathroom and vanity are nice and new. Bed was comfortable.

Minuses - the ROACHES, carpet, and the hot water that takes forever to come up.

I don't know if the other rooms still have the old nasty carpet, but my room sure did.

• Liked — Bathroom
  • Disliked — Carpet, roaches
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Spanisheyes00
john1313, Manager at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, 25 October 2008
The room problem is now completely solved. We were not aware of this problem and this was our first problem with "roaches."

Our linens are always clean and we have not had problems with any of the customers. The room rented was the last room available and now the carpet (with coffee stain) is changed to the new carpet.

Every problem in this case has been take care of.

Travellers are raving about these Barstow hotels