“Impressive for Fast Food”
Review of Del Taco

Del Taco
Ranked #16 of 105 Restaurants in Barstow
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 15 May 2014

It's Del Taco. It's a chain store for tacos and burritos. Nothing exciting, right? Well, for this particular store, you'd be wrong. This place sets the standard for how Del Taco should be done. I believe one of the original founders of Del Taco still oversees this store, and this is one of the original stores. But the quality of food is amazing. If you order tacos, your shell is pack full of meat, cheese, and lettuce. And it is fresh, real meat. Not some grease soaked mystery meat. Their crinkle fries are always great at just about any store, but with all the other food being great, it makes this store's fries that much better. Meal is made quick and fresh to order, and the quality is a a dozen steps higher than other Del Taco stores, or most fast food chains in general. So much better than the zoo of McD's and Panda Express down the street. Dining area is large and relatively quiet, bathrooms are clean. We now make it a point to stop here when we drive between Vegas and LA.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Barstow Del Taco will spoil you to all others around the country. Barstow is home to the original and is always locally owned; and only by those who respect the quality and taste that Barstow is known for. I have eaten at many other Del Tacos far from home and always regret the moment the food hits my pallet. I love the size of the burritos, the local meat used, the spice is right and the service is great!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My heart is pounding. My palms sweating. I rub them on my jeans and take a deep breath. This moment was an eternity in the making.

25 years of eating Del Taco corporate rubbish. 25 years of consuming something mediocre (at best). 25 years I kept going back to it, though. Why? I knew. I just knew that there was more to it then what I was being given. The potential was there, an essence of what it once was and could be again. Perhaps I hoped that with enough time and exposure, my tastebuds would unlocked the secret that Del Taco corporate was working so hard to hide. But no. That was not meant to be. I had long since given up all hope that I'd ever find satisfaction here.

I couldn't even recall the last time I had visited one of it's sister establishments. But here I was. Finally. At the urging of family. This was the place, they said. This would be the time and day that all my preconceived notions of Del Taco's "quality" food would be abolished. I was skeptical but I hoped…

"A beef burrito, Barstow taco, fries, and a soda, please." The clerk smiled politely as I ordered. Could she tell? Could she possibly know that I had already decided that if things went poorly today, I would never step food into a Del Taco ever again? Perhaps the sweat on my brow was giving me away.

Minutes passed. Eventually the clerk, with the same polite smile, placed a tray in front of me. My order was exact. Trembling with a mixture of nerves and hunger I slowly unwrapped the plain paper. This was it. The moment of truth…

…and it was awesome.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Best place ever! Even better than I remembered. So much tradition there. The food was awesome! Very fresh and flavorful. The Managers and servers were very friendly. One of my favorite memories from when I lived in Barstow was when my brother came racing home to tell me that Elvis was at Del Tace on his way to Las Vegas from L.A. When we got back he was gone but people were "buzzing" about his visit and how friendly and down to earth he was. It still has that same friendly atmosphere!! Can't wait to visit again on my next trip to Barstow!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The historical significance of this place is more important than the food. It's the oldest of three still owned by the family that originally started the huge Del Taco chain. As such, it has a few items that you won't find at other Del Tacos, like tostadas and "Barstow" tacos. Some reviews led me to believe this was the original Del Taco, but the photos on the wall indicated it was probably the fourth one when it was built in 1971. It still gives you a good idea of what Del Taco was in the beginning, with items like homemade chips. It's still just Mexican fast food, which was the whole idea of Del Taco, but a cut above today's mass-produced Del Tacos. It's certainly nothing fancy and it's located in a neighborhood where there are bars on nearly every window. Keep driving on N. First Avenue across the bridge and you'll come to the restored Casa del Desierto, an old Harvey House and Santa Fe Railway depot that is a masterpiece of architecture.