“beautiful”

Rainbow Basin Natural Area
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Barstow
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic desert area is good for hiking and other outdoor activities.
Reviewed 10 January 2013

very beautiful canyon to drive thru. needs a cleaning from the idiots who graffiti it but still worth the drive. camping would enhance this experience

2  Thank Bryon H

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We found this on a map and went to check it out while passing through Barstow. Instead of doing the driving loop (which we were told requires 4-wheel drive) we decided to walk it. The views were beautiful of jagged mountains striped with colorful minerals. Even the stones on the ground were colorful. When it got dark, the sky view was awesome. No light anywhere so the stars were amazing. We saw signs for hiking trails but couldn't find them. We wished there was more of a map and better signs. The Ranger Station in Barstow is closed on weekends (!!) so we couldn't get more information there.

5  Thank erklein
Reviewed 9 October 2012

It was an OK place to see; but having seen it, I think there are better, more interesting places to see in the area, like the train station museum, Mojave National Preserve and Calico Ghost town. To me, if you don't have much time, I would see the other areas first before checking this place out.

2  Thank HarryHendo
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Exciting- went early and got a sense of solitude and isolation. Managed to avoid getting lost! Well worth the effort

2  Thank RichieRock
Reviewed 12 September 2012

A small off-road loop just a few miles north of Barstow which showcases lots of interesting rock formations and colorful scenery. The roads are unpaved and just a bit rocky but as I had a truck I didn't think they were a problem and had seen worse! I saw one car leaving as I arrived, but otherwise the trail was pretty empty--by that I mean pretty and empty, which gave me the ability to stop in the middle of the road to take photos. I didn't have time to stop at the trailhead and take a walk, so I haven't had the whole experience. I'm going to say a solid 4 out of 5 though, as the trail does need some maintaining. There were a few piles of beer cans at the pull out, and the latter half of the loop was unmarked, which could leave people lost as they try to decide which of the trails looked more or less traveled when they try to find their way back to the road. GPS signal will get you there and back though!

1  Thank Photogaffer