“No kicks on Route 66”

Route 66 Barstow Hotel
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Reviewed 21 August 2014

After a cruise through the Panama Canal we disembarked in Los Angeles. We rented a small SUV and headed back to the midwest. We, both, grew up when Route 66 was at its peak. We decided to see as much as we could on our trek. After a visit of relatives in Southern California we headed to see other friends and family in the Las Vegas area. We decided to stop in Barstow to break up the driving. We checked online with Trip Advisor and also AAA. The ratings were 3+ stars, We looked at their website and saw a very nice room. I called and they had an opening. I asked the rate and it was under $50. We were only staying the one night so that was fine. I asked if there was a AAA discount which brought the price down even more. We were set.

My inquiry on the phone was if they had a room with a king or one with two queens. They indicated the room had a king AND a queen. I have traveled a lot. This was odd but the price was right. We knew this would be the older style motor court where you park right at the door to your room. When we arrived, I stepped inside the office. The step inside was exactly that - one step. The person at the window or plexiglass appeared. A door to the back area was propped open with wet towels. I gave them my name and that we had a reservation. The person behind the window asked me what the price was I had been quoted. I guess I should have just said $10.00. I told him and he had me slide my credit card under the glass. That should have been my first clue.

Went into the room. There was a king and a queen bed. The queen bed did not have anything under the wheels to keep it from rolling around the room. I sat on the bed and looked at the window above the air-conditioner. The curtains were only attached on each end. The whole center hung down. The curtain covered the air conditioner because the hung to the floor. That window was on the west side. There was a window higher up on the east side with absolutely no curtain so the sun could shine in bright and early. In the bathroom, there is no place to set a curling iron, it barely will hold a toothbrush. You have to set things on the top of the toilet.

The smoke alarm began chirping every three minutes. My husband said not to unpack because we were not staying. We called the manager into the room and he shrugged. We told him we were not staying and would like a refund. He became incensed and said that is not possible. He had only taken my credit card a few minutes before that. He said he would have to pay us out of his own pocket and he couldn't do that. It was ridiculous.

We did convince him to have a someone change the battery in the smoke alarm. They had a lot of difficulty getting the cover off to do that. The maintenance man asked if we would like some water. We said yes and he brought us a two gallon jug of water.

The next morning my husband was taking a shower. Suddenly there was a crash of metal. The entire handle to turn the shower on and off came out of the wall into the tub. It was laughable at this point. In the light of day, the pool was pretty bad and empty. We left but not without pictures of our own.

If we had just waited and booked a place when we got there, other hotels in the area would have been a much better choice.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else but here
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank iahmb
There are newer reviews for Route 66 Barstow Hotel

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights at this motel. Family run and somewhat disorganised, but everyone well meaning and helpful where able. Motel is more budget than expected, but room was sufficient to cater for overnight needs. Basically furnished and went off cool at night, although did not mention that no response from room heater. Slept well though, albeit frustrating that no plugs in sink nor bath. Maintenance was obviously a problem, despite being quite small motel. Location wise it is located fairly centrally which gave easy access to freeway and there was a Dennys restaurant a few minutes walk away, being ideal for breakfast and dinner. Price wise this motel was cheap, but there are many other options close by to consider if higher standard sought. Would not recommend this motel, but similarly if on tight budget still worth considering.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed only one night and it was ok, except the staff member who doesn't speak very well english. The place is not very pretty (office doesn't looks like an office, empty pool, etc.) but the room was clean and well equiped (microwave and fridge). For the price, you have a clean room and that is what I was looking for.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Great value for 29 bucks! The people are really nice and helpful. while the place isn't fancy it's clean and comfy. Tile floors, newish mattress. The outside needs a little up dating but who cares when you're spending your time indoors. The neighborhood is what you expect in Barstow i guess. There's nothing the hotel owner can do about that after all.

Room Tip: We rode our bicycles from Washington, D.C. And needed a place to stay. The people here are so nice...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

While driving to Morro Bay I decided I had to stop for a rest in Barstow, CA. Did I get lucky. Not knowing anything about the town I was in the dark as to finding a hotel. I just picked one not knowing how it would be. I happen to pick Route 66 Barstow Hotel. Very nice clean place to lay my head. Best of all the service was great. Mr Khan was the best host I have ever had. He was the best. Thanks Mr Khan.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a very average room but, very clean. The beds were comfortable and Kahn is very nice. You can't beat the rates. If you are looking for a great deal but no frills, this is the place. I left my pillows and Kahn is holding them for me when I return next week.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Nice motel with great service we enjoy with group this great motel with friendly staff and its a clean property with nice queen & double rooms easy access to near by attraction , i recommend all

Keep it up good job